Bill of Sale VS Title
Welcome to the LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums.
LayItLow.com is the premier Lowriders Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Aspiring Poster

Hello everyone , I'm about to buy a 64 but the seller doesn't have a title he says he will give me a bill of sale . can someone please advise , I don't want to get screwed . this is my first classic car and I've never heard of not having a title . thanks in advance

2. Remove Advertisements
    LayItLow.com
    Advertisements

Aspiring Poster

Originally posted by MR MIAMI@Nov 12 2010, 02:44 PM~19052850
    Hello everyone , I'm about to buy a 64 but the seller doesn't have a title he says he will give me a bill of sale . can someone please advise , I don't want to get screwed . this is my first classic car and I've never heard of not having a title . thanks in advance¬*
    All a Bill of Sale means is that you are paying someone to get screwed. Without tiltle to the vehicle don't buy it unless they can get a duplicate.

Addict Poster

Originally posted by MR MIAMI@Nov 12 2010, 08:44 PM~19052850
    Hello everyone , I'm about to buy a 64 but the seller doesn't have a title he says he will give me a bill of sale . can someone please advise , I don't want to get screwed . this is my first classic car and I've never heard of not having a title . thanks in advance¬*
    bill of sale aint bad, i bought a car with a bill of sale NO vin tag and i got it registered with plates, new vin tag.registration n pink slip.

what u wanna do before u buy it is get the vin number,plates,and the name of the person that it was last registered to.or n the bill of sale.
    run a check on it through the dmv.

if it comes back clear and everything matches. it shouldnt be a problem.

i know a guy here in cali that registered my car and it was all don legit with less headache. didnt have to trailer nothing to the dmv or anything.a lady came to my house made sure everything matched and in 3 days my plates registration and pink came in the mail.
    check out my pics on facebook rest easy photography
    or
    instagram under Rest_easy

Aspiring Poster

Originally posted by crenshaw magraw@Nov 12 2010, 11:25 PM~19056580
    bill of sale aint bad, i bought a car with a bill of sale NO vin tag and i got it registered with plates, new vin tag.registration n pink slip.

what u wanna do before u buy it is get the vin number,plates,and the name of the person that it was last registered to.or n the bill of sale.
    run a check on it through the dmv.

if it comes back clear and everything matches. it shouldnt be a problem.

i know a guy here in cali that registered my car and it was all don legit with less headache. didnt have to trailer nothing to the dmv or anything.a lady came to my house made sure everything matched and in 3 days my plates registration and pink came in the mail.
    Ya sorry that is the way to go I remember I bought an SL this way but I had to go back to the original owner of the vehicle and get verification he sold it to the guy I bought it from before they would turn over a new title with just the bill of sale I had from the guy I bought it from.

Addict Poster

Originally posted by renegade1@Nov 13 2010, 05:38 AM~19056662
    Ya sorry that is the way to go I remember I bought an SL this way but I had to go back to the original owner of the vehicle and get verification he sold it to the guy I bought it from before they would turn over a new title with just the bill of sale I had from the guy I bought it from.
    the way i look at it , unless its a deal of a life time go for it, but if its something you can probaly find for a better price, i would wait n find soemone with title.

i couldnt pass up the deal i came across so i was willing to go the extra mile
    check out my pics on facebook rest easy photography
    or
    instagram under Rest_easy

~RIP BIG MIKE~

bill of sale is legit in some states, here in ga you aint got to have the title and can have a bill of sale on a car 87 or older, i do it all the time
    LETS PRAY FOR OG KITA & PLEASE VISIT THE LINK AND DONATE http://www.youcaring.com/medical-fun...recovery/72997

Aspiring Poster

Originally posted by crenshaw magraw@Nov 12 2010, 11:42 PM~19056686
    the way i look at it , unless its a deal of a life time go for it, but if its something you can probaly find for a better price, i would wait n find soemone with¬* title.

i couldnt pass up the deal i came across so i was willing to go the extra mile
    Spoken like a true Lowrider and I mean that it in a good way. For something good you should go the extra mile

Enthusiast Poster

Talk to a local mechanic that or towing company, they can give you some tips on titles because they have to deal with it when people don't pay. I usually just offer the last listed previous owner fifty bucks to get me a duplicate title.

i dont feel tardy
    Car Club
    Drop Mob

titles are easy

i can get a title for anything without a bank lien on it
    aint no taming us, we get your brains and your veins and take em with us

Baller Poster

Check wit the DMV first

I bought a car N i got screwed over only got bill of sale and the dmv didnt wanna let me register it or get a title.

well every state is different

Baller Poster
    Car Club
    Dead Poets Society

MR MIAMI¬* Yesterday, 04:44 PM
    Feel you! I call myself cleaning my office and fucked around and tossed out a folder containing my cars bill of sale and title before my lazy ass register the car. A real dumb ass .
    The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other bastard die for his.

Baller Poster

Copy the vin and go to the dmv or tag agency.They should give you a name and adress of the person who still legally owns the car.If they dont live at that adress start looking in the phone book for people that have the same name.If you find this person and they are willing to sign it over be prepared to pay some back penalties for it not being registered in a while!I went through this on a 66c-10 recentley that traded for an old dog kennell.The truck was stolen and the old man didnt report it stolen!I got lucky and the guy was willing to sign the title over to me after i offered to bring the truck back to him.It was still a pain in the ass though the dmv screwed up and wrote down his adress wrong and it took about a month for him to get his title in the mail before he cold sign it over to me.

Banned
    Car Club
    billionare mafia

talk with your state investigator the dmv will give you there number

2GUNZ
    Car Club
    Done with Car Clubs

Originally posted by LIVIN LOW IDAHO@Nov 13 2010, 02:01 AM~19057187
    Check wit the DMV first

I bought a car N i got screwed over only got bill of sale and the dmv didnt wanna let me register it or get a title.

well every state is different
    IF YOUR IN FLORIDA. YOU HAVE BETTER DO THIS FIRST!!!!

IF YOU ARE IN FLORIDA, DO NOT WORRY ABOUT THINGS THAT HAPPEN OUTSIDE OF FLORIDA, BECAUSE REGISTERING A CAR IN FLORIDA IS TOTALLY DIFFERENT THEN CALIFORNIA, TEXAS, EVEN GEORGIA.

YOU HAD BETTER MAKE SURE YOU HAVE A BILL OF SALE, ALSO YOU NEED A NOTARIZED LETTER FROM THE SELLER SAYING THAT THE TITLE WAS LOST, IF HE NEVER REGISTERED THE VEHICLE, YOU WILL HAVE TO SEARCH DOWN THE LAST REGISTERED OWNER OF THE CAR, AND GET THE LETTER FROM THEM SAYING THEY LOST THE TITLE, THE ONLY WAY YOU CAN GET OUT OF THIS, IS IF THE PERSON IS DEAD OR IN JAIL. THAT WAS THE ONLY WAY I WAS ABLE TO REGISTER MY LINCOLN DUDE WAS IN JAIL, SO I HAD TO GET A NOTORIZED LETTER SAYING THAT, AND WHERE HE WAS LOCKED UP AT.

ALSO IF THERE IS A LIEN AGAINST THE CAR, YOU ARE GOING TO PAY THE LIEN TO REGISTER IT...PERIOD.

ALSO WHATEVER PRICE YOU PAY FOR IT, YOU WILL HAVE TO PAY TAXES ON THE CAR, SO IF YOU PAY 5K FOR THE CAR, AND WANT TO REGISTER IT, YOUR LOOKING AT ABOUT $500 PLUS IN TAXES, ANOTHER $126 TO REGISTER AND ALSO ABOUT $50-80 FOR TAGS.
    RETIRED---20 YEARS of MILITARY SERVICE

Baller Poster
    Car Club
    Solow

Bill of sale is useless in CA.

Buying a car without title you will need a duplicate title form (paperless transfer) from the registered owner along with bill of sale.

The car will be seized and returned to the last registered owner if the car turns out to be stolen. All your money and time invested will be gone, regardless of the car now being registered in your name and you having the new title.

You can get a title based on a bill of sale, but if there's a title problem you can lose your car.
    Southern California 1964 impala "The Business"

1963 Vert on order "The Chairmnofthboard"

Baller Poster
    Car Club
    Solow

Also a lien sale is a good way to get a title. Give's you some recourse if someone ever wants to come out and say that they never sold you the car.

Every state is different, look into it locally.
    Southern California 1964 impala "The Business"

1963 Vert on order "The Chairmnofthboard"

i dont feel tardy
    Car Club
    Drop Mob

because ive been asked several times i can get you an illinois title price of the title and 100 bucks for me

all i need is registered owners name

title will be an illinois title in YOUR NAME
    aint no taming us, we get your brains and your veins and take em with us

Aspiring Poster

thanks everyone for all your replies , I really appreciate it I going to insist for the seller to get a duplicate title . Yes I'm in Florida .

Baller Poster
    Car Club
    TOMMY'S KUSTOMS

yes the title is the best way to go
    Tommy's Kustoms
    IT IS WHAT IT IS IMA JUST REP MY SHIT TOMMYS KUSTOMS
    6TRE BUILDERS CLUB
    62 wagon
    63 impala AQUA BOOGIE 63
    MY BUILDS
    http://www.layitlow.com/forums/index...owtopic=512558

Baller Poster

Bill of sale is ok, depending where it is coming from.
    For example, The state of Connecticut does NOT issue a title for anything older that 1973

instead the provide a specific DMV issued BOS. that BOS acts as the title.
    you just need to run the vin with the dmv of the state you are buying it from to make sure there is no $$ owed or liens and that no one is currently owning it.

once that is cleared up, you need to make a similar BOS and have that notarized with both your the buyer and the seller's signatures on it... bring that to your state DMV and viola... states like california may require additional inspections but for the most part everything should go easy.

best bet would be to call your local DMV and explain to them your situation.... believe it or not they deal with these issues all the time.
    Reckless - '64 Hardtop build up
    ALL BLACK EVERYTHING! - LS1/4L60E

'64 Builders Club
    '64 Impalas or bust

22. Remove Advertisements
    LayItLow.com
    Advertisements

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Thread Information