Refurbish your batteries yourself
Welcome to the LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums.
LayItLow.com is the premier Lowriders Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Addict Poster
    Car Club
    LUXURIOUS C.C.

How To:
    anybody who's got a bunch of junk old batteries might want to try this out?!?! who knows?? its got me wondering... if anyone tries this and it works, let us know!

http://www.ehow.com/how_4927788_refu...batteries.html

Buying a new car battery can be fairly expensive, but it seems there is not much choice when a battery's performance plummets. However, in many cases you can refurbish car batteries and extend their usefulness. Doing so does not require pricey chemical additives. You can achieve the same results with magnesium sulfate, better known as Epsom salts. Car batteries are "lead acid" batteries with a solution of water and sulfuric acid. When sulfur collects on the lead plates of the battery, performance degrades. Magnesium sulfate can remove the sulfur and can restore a battery's performance.

STEP 1:
    Loosen the battery cables with a crescent wrench and remove the battery. Use baking soda to clean the terminals and battery cables so you get good contact when the battery is reinstalled.

STEP 2:
    Mix a solution of 1/2 gallon distilled water and 1/2 lb. Epsom salts. Stir until the salts are dissolved (if you use warm water this is a lot easier). Always use distilled water because the chemicals in tap water can damage a battery. Remove the battery cell caps and drain the water from the battery. If your car battery is of the sealed type, you'll need to find the shadow plugs (they'll be marked on the top of the battery) and drill through them.

STEP 3:
    Use a funnel to fill each cell of the battery with the Epsom salt solution. Once you have filled each cell, shake the battery to make sure the solution is well distributed.

STEP 4:
    Place the battery on a charger using a slow (trickle) charge for 24 hours. Remove the battery from the charger and replace the battery caps. For sealed batteries, buy plastic plugs from an auto parts store and insert them in the drill holes. Reinstall the battery and make sure the battery cables are properly fastened. Your battery should now work properly.

STEP 5:
    Repeat the charging process two or three times over the next week to complete the refurbishing process. This helps to remove any remaining sulfur from the lead plates inside the battery. If you store the battery for a long time, place it on a trickle charger to prevent sulfur from accumulating on the plates again, as the battery drains while not in use.
    LuxuriouS C.C. Toronto 416
    TEAM BRING IT!!!!!!!!!!

San Jose ~ Chicago ~ Central Valley ~ Montreal ~ North Side ~ Salt Lake City ~ British Columbia ~ Nor Cal ~ Winnipeg ~ Quebec City ~ France ~ Contra Costa ~ East Bay ~ TORONTO

"SWITCHES & THANGS" FOR ALL YOUR LOWRIDER NEEDS!
    416-419-2366

2. Remove Advertisements
    LayItLow.com
    Advertisements

Baller Poster

wonder if it works going 2 try it on some old ones i got laying around

over it

Originally posted by lowrider_cutlass@Jan 4 2010, 03:53 AM~16177361
    anybody who's got a bunch of junk old batteries might want to try this out?!?! who knows??* * its got me wondering... if anyone tries this and it works, let us know!*
    http://www.ehow.com/how_4927788_refu...batteries.html
    Buying a new car battery can be fairly expensive, but it seems there is not much choice when a battery's performance plummets. However, in many cases you can refurbish car batteries and extend their usefulness. Doing so does not require pricey chemical additives. You can achieve the same results with magnesium sulfate, better known as Epsom salts. Car batteries are "lead acid" batteries with a solution of water and sulfuric acid. When sulfur collects on the lead plates of the battery, performance degrades. Magnesium sulfate can remove the sulfur and can restore a battery's performance.

STEP 1:
    Loosen the battery cables with a crescent wrench and remove the battery. Use baking soda to clean the terminals and battery cables so you get good contact when the battery is reinstalled.

STEP 2:
    Mix a solution of 1/2 gallon distilled water and 1/2 lb. Epsom salts. Stir until the salts are dissolved (if you use warm water this is a lot easier). Always use distilled water because the chemicals in tap water can damage a battery. Remove the battery cell caps and drain the water from the battery. If your car battery is of the sealed type, you'll need to find the shadow plugs (they'll be marked on the top of the battery) and drill through them.

STEP 3:
    Use a funnel to fill each cell of the battery with the Epsom salt solution. Once you have filled each cell, shake the battery to make sure the solution is well distributed.

STEP 4:
    Place the battery on a charger using a slow (trickle) charge for 24 hours. Remove the battery from the charger and replace the battery caps. For sealed batteries, buy plastic plugs from an auto parts store and insert them in the drill holes. Reinstall the battery and make sure the battery cables are properly fastened. Your battery should now work properly.

STEP 5:
    Repeat the charging process two or three times over the next week to complete the refurbishing process. This helps to remove any remaining sulfur from the lead plates inside the battery. If you store the battery for a long time, place it on a trickle charger to prevent sulfur from accumulating on the plates again, as the battery drains while not in use.

That is not "water" it's highly corrosive battery acid that you will be draining out. Not a wise idea. It's not like there is a good way of disposing of that shit.
    It's not how long the job takes that counts, it's the finished product that does.

Chrome don't make it right, just shiney.

Mr. Paid

Originally posted by OUTHOPU@Jan 4 2010, 08:02 AM~16178017
    That is not "water" it's highly corrosive battery acid that you will be draining out. Not a wise idea. It's not like there is a good way of disposing of that shit.
    Neutralize it with baking soda and dont breathe the gas it gives off.
    "Get your towels ready, it's about to go down."

My 2002 Town Car build

over it

Originally posted by Lord Duez@Jan 4 2010, 10:13 AM~16178071
    No thanks. I'll buy new batteries when the time comes. If you properly charge and maintane the batteries from the start there is no need for all this. I put 12 PowerVolts in my boys Towncar 5 years ago and they are still going strong.
    It's not how long the job takes that counts, it's the finished product that does.

Chrome don't make it right, just shiney.

The Canadian

i have 18 old batts... hmmmm :0
    82 Cadillac Coupe Deville

"I tell you mothafuckas that life is fulla hydraulics
    Up and down, get a 64, better know how to drive it"

Smilies are worth a thousand words

Addict Poster
    Car Club
    UPSTATE C.C

There's nothing like biting off more than you can chew, and then chewing anyways!

♠------ƃuıɹǝqɯǝɯǝɹ ɥʇɹoʍ ƃuıɥʇǝɯos op-----♠

The Game Needs Me
    Car Club
    *Ronin*

bah, humbug.

Addict Poster
    Car Club
    UPSTATE C.C

i had 10 referbished batts last me 7 years :0

There's nothing like biting off more than you can chew, and then chewing anyways!

♠------ƃuıɹǝqɯǝɯǝɹ ɥʇɹoʍ ƃuıɥʇǝɯos op-----♠

Addict Poster
    Car Club
    Tru Rydaz C.C.

That's a long time for refurbish. Plus it helps when you take good care of them.
    From: Hawaii Black Magic Hydraulics the best product by far!"
    We build our rides, we don't buy them"
    "Built tough with BMH stuff"
    ''Chearleaders are people too!''
    Tru Rydaz Car Club... uk texas new mexico hawaii Australia vegas
    Pj's 505 Customs New Mexico Black Magic dist
    Rj Customs west texas Black Magic distributor
    Build yourself something n stop ur cheerleading!

HOME BREWED, NO HELP
    Car Club
    GOFUCKYOURSELF C.C.

Originally posted by OUTHOPU@Jan 4 2010, 08:02 AM~16178017
    throw it on the neighbors car... or barking dog....
    ~~~M.C.B.A.~~~
    ANYBODY CAN PAY SOMEONE TO BUILD HIM A CAR, A REAL RIDER DOES IT HIMSELF
    Science flies men to the moon, religion flies men into buildings.

~84 CADILLAC HEARSE~ blown motor
    ~ 90 CADILLAC HEARSE~ the parts hauler
    ~79 CADILLAC ~"The Big Green Bitch" ~, daily driver
    ''KANSAS CITYS FINEST'' FIRST PLACE FULL CUSTOM BIKE 2010 KC LOWRIDER TOUR STOP~STRIPED BY JUGZ~

Addict Poster
    Car Club
    Luxurious CEN valley

Originally posted by Reverend Hearse@Jan 4 2010, 01:57 PM~16179917
    throw it on the neighbors car... or barking dog....

not cool.......
    FTP: FUCK THAT PUTO

(209 )996-5244 JEFF - KINGFISH_CUSTOMS
    (209) 535-4120 MINO - KINGFISH_CUSTOMS209
    Adex Original Aircraft Hydraulics
    (626) 798-2156 or email adexhydraulics@earthlink.net

Addict Poster
    Car Club
    Luxurious CEN valley

Originally posted by Lord Duez@Jan 4 2010, 09:13 AM~16178071
    haha..ya who loves a good cotail mix of chemicals....youll see on the headlines.....

"LAYITLOW MEMBER FOUND DEAD BY FAMILY IN GARAGE AFTER TRYING TO REFURB HIS BATTERIES....next at 10 news followed by tiger woods nightly lol

Addict Poster
    Car Club
    VIEJITOS~Y~QUE!

Originally posted by KINGFISH_CUSTOMS@Jan 4 2010, 01:27 PM~16180125
    haha..ya who loves a good cotail mix of chemicals....youll see on the headlines.....

"LAYITLOW MEMBER DUEZ PAIDFOUND DEAD BY FAMILY IN GARAGE AFTER TRYING TO REFURB HIS BATTERIES....next at 10 news followed by tiger woods nightly lol
    If we were only so lucky
    Never hold your farts in. They travel up your spine and into your brain...that is where crappy ideas come from.

Addict Poster
    Car Club
    VIEJITOS~Y~QUE!

Originally posted by KINGFISH_CUSTOMS@Jan 4 2010, 01:23 PM~16180099
    not cool.......
    I agree with you for once
    Never hold your farts in. They travel up your spine and into your brain...that is where crappy ideas come from.

HOME BREWED, NO HELP
    Car Club
    GOFUCKYOURSELF C.C.

Originally posted by KINGFISH_CUSTOMS@Jan 4 2010, 01:23 PM~16180099
    not cool.......
    also not cool that i have to listen to malnourished dogs bark 24/7 because the owner keeps them on his roof.....
    ~~~M.C.B.A.~~~
    ANYBODY CAN PAY SOMEONE TO BUILD HIM A CAR, A REAL RIDER DOES IT HIMSELF
    Science flies men to the moon, religion flies men into buildings.

~84 CADILLAC HEARSE~ blown motor
    ~ 90 CADILLAC HEARSE~ the parts hauler
    ~79 CADILLAC ~"The Big Green Bitch" ~, daily driver
    ''KANSAS CITYS FINEST'' FIRST PLACE FULL CUSTOM BIKE 2010 KC LOWRIDER TOUR STOP~STRIPED BY JUGZ~

Addict Poster
    Car Club
    Luxurious CEN valley

Originally posted by Reverend Hearse@Jan 4 2010, 03:03 PM~16180436
    also not cool that i have to listen to malnourished dogs bark 24/7 because the owner keeps them on his roof..... *

thats what animal control is for...i cant stand to see dogs not fed cuz the owners aint feeding them..i have no problem with calling on people who dont take care of the dogs..(or animals)..the neighbor of a friend poisoned one of his dogs and it died a slow painful death from rat poisoning..so now im gonna go late at night and fuck their lawn up with some total vegetation killer..their lawn aint gonna go anywhere i spray it out at for a year lol

Addict Poster
    Car Club
    Luxurious CEN valley

Originally posted by Jaime-ViejitosNM@Jan 4 2010, 02:39 PM~16180221
    I agree with you for once
    see i knew we could find common ground somewhere

Mr. Paid

Figured everybody in here would know about putting baking soda on battery acid, it's hydrothermic so you dont wash it off with water or it gets hot. If you get it on your hands, throw some baking soda on it and they'll stop itching. Also useful on hydrochloric acid if you use it to clean concrete.

My 2002 Town Car build

Mr. Paid

My 2002 Town Car build

22. Remove Advertisements
    LayItLow.com
    Advertisements

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Thread Information