do amps kill ur batt/alternator
Welcome to the LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums.
LayItLow.com is the premier Lowriders Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Addict Poster
    Car Club
    DISTINCTIVE

i have 2 amps hooked up without a powercap.....now when i start my car....the batt dies out...i am not sure if jus the batt is bad or the alternator went with it..... will running amps kill the alternator also??

2. Remove Advertisements
    LayItLow.com
    Advertisements

Baller Poster

itll kill your alternator because its killing your battery and the alt is trying to hard to recharge it, but it'll only really kill it if you just sit there with your stereo alot.
    Brown Pride Rider

"When you got them on the meat hook, They'll tell you everything"-- Carlito Brigante

B.L.O.W.- Block Life is Our Way

Baller Poster

what size amps, what car, what alternator (if you know), and do you listen to your system turned up high frequently?
    www.chagosdream.com
    Help make his dream come true

webmaster@chagosdream.com - email me to have something posted/removed/edited on the website, or to offer your suggestions

Addict Poster

Originally posted by Stealth@Oct 18 2004, 02:56 PM
    what size amps, what car, what alternator (if you know), and do you listen to your system turned up high frequently?
    [snapback]2307932[/snapback]
    Regardless of how big of amps you have, if you are listening to it without the car running, its going to draw alot of power, and it will kill your battery. Eventually, it will kill it to where it wont recharge. Your alternator strains greatly when you try to charge a dead battery with it as well. So yes, you can kill both by listening without having it running.

Now, if your car starts and the battery isn't charging back to where you can start it again, then your alternator needs checked out. Having a bad alternator can cause the battery to go bad as well.
    Looking for Sundown Audio? SundownOnly.com

"Lowriding was developed around stealing anyways." - AndrewH

2GUNZ
    Car Club
    Done with Car Clubs

Well what it comes down to is your overall current draw. The easy way is to check the fuses on the side of the amp, or check the owners manual to find the total output draw, you will have to add the two amps that you have together, I have two amps, one draws 100 amps, and the other draws 80 amps, so that would mean that I would have a max draw of 180 amps on my electrical system. If you alternator is only producing 90 amps, or basic system probably about 140, then you are requiring another 40 amps of draw when you use your system to its full extent. If your alternator is putting out 90, then you are gonna drain your battery very quickly. As your stereo is running, well if your draw is more then your alternator output, it is (1) gonna eventually kill your alternator, and (2) is gonna drain your battery. Your battery is never getting a full charge because your alternator is trying to keep up with your system. Hope that helped
    RETIRED---20 YEARS of MILITARY SERVICE

Baller Poster

Originally posted by ibanender@Oct 18 2004, 04:26 PM
    Regardless of how big of amps you have, if you are listening to it without the car running, its going to draw alot of power, and it will kill your battery.* Eventually, it will kill it to where it wont recharge.* Your alternator strains greatly when you try to charge a dead battery with it as well.* So yes, you can kill both by listening without having it running.*

Now, if your car starts and the battery isn't charging back to where you can start it again, then your alternator needs checked out.* Having a bad alternator can cause the battery to go bad as well.
    [snapback]2308632[/snapback]
    what you said above is common sense, and i can condense it to one line:

if you run your system with the car not running, your battery will die.

but i'm assuming he's a little more intelligent than that, which is why i asked the questions in my previous post.......
    anyway, two things to remember:

1) a 240 amp alternator does not put 240 amps out at idle... the very high amperage alternators usually put out very low amps at idle

2) a system isn't drawing max amount of amps when it's playing low. usually an amp that "draws 90 amps" is when it's going full blast, not on low volumes.
    www.chagosdream.com

webmaster@chagosdream.com - email me to have something posted/removed/edited on the website, or to offer your suggestions

2GUNZ
    Car Club
    Done with Car Clubs

Okay so who do you know that plays there stereo at low volumes. Most high output Alts will produce about 65% of there overall rating at Idle, and as you speed up your power will go up, but what I was talking about, is even if you are driving, and you are drawing more amperage then your Alternator is producing, then it will take the power from your battery. My concept has nothing to do with parking and listening to your stereo, it is if your draw is more, even if you are driving, it still is gonna kill your battery.

Baller Poster

Originally posted by dirtywhiteboy66@Oct 19 2004, 05:44 PM
    Okay so who do you know that plays there stereo at low volumes.* Most high output Alts will produce about 65% of there overall rating at Idle, and as you speed up your power will go up, but what I was talking about, is even if you are driving, and you are drawing more amperage then your Alternator is producing, then it will take the power from your battery.* My concept has nothing to do with parking and listening to your stereo, it is if your draw is more, even if you are driving, it still is gonna kill your battery.
    [snapback]2312723[/snapback]
    i wasn't questioning your concept... i was just adding to it. i agree with you, just didn't want the guy to get the wrong ideas.

who do i know that plays their stereo at low volumes? me. i don't listen to it at full blast at 24/7, because that's............stupid and inconsiderate. i don't like pissing people off with extremely loud music, and i don't like damaging my hearing by listening to it at full blast all the time.
    an amp that draws "90 amps" doesn't draw 90 amps whether it's full blast or at half its potential... the amount it draws differs according to volume.
    www.chagosdream.com

Addict Poster

Common sense ISN'T always common. I never discount how little a person knows about a subject in the beginning. Anywho, I also do not listen to mine loud for similar reasons as been listed. My amp is rated for 60 amps of draw, yet it draws 108 amps on a burp.... guess you can't go by fusing can ya! It's drawing between 20-30 amps at the loudest level I listen to, plus the other 2 amps good for 25 amps of draw or so total at loudest listening level. So, I'm at 55 amps, PLUS the HU, processors, radar detector, lights, etc. I have a 60 amp alternator, why is my car fine? Playing music, you dont have a CONSTANT full draw, thats why I'm not killing the alternator. I have 2 batteries, those take the sudden hard load off the alternator.

Baller Poster

right. but if the amps constantly drew 55 amps, plus your headunit, lights, engine, radar detector, etc. that's another good 40 amps there... so if your system was constantly drawing 95 amps, then no, your alternator wouldn't be able to keep up, whether you have 1 battery or 10. but since you don't always listen to it loud, they're not constantly drawing 55 amps..... therefore you agree with me

what are we arguing about?
    www.chagosdream.com

2GUNZ
    Car Club
    Done with Car Clubs

Not trying to bag, just wondering what amps are you using that are rated at 60 amps, drawing 20-30 amps max draw, but take a 108 amp draw on Burp, cause those are some incredible amps, again just wondering

Addict Poster

just get a capacitor, change your alt. and get a new battery...

Baller Poster

agree with mialac, + dont forget to upgrade all of your factory grounds, and wiring from your alternator to your battery

2GUNZ
    Car Club
    Done with Car Clubs

Okay you just started something with the CAP

Baller Poster

lol yeah

let's stay out of cap discussions
    www.chagosdream.com

Aspiring Poster

If your on a tight budget try the alternator pulleys it will kick your alternator output up at lower engine rpms, thus charging back your battery quicker.For about $30.00 heres link:
    http://www.hoalternators.com/otherpart.htm

Addict Poster
    Car Club
    DISTINCTIVE

it looks like the wire that runs from the alternator to the battery is fried........would running to many watts/amps off of the factory battery cause this

Addict Poster

Originally posted by dirtywhiteboy66@Oct 20 2004, 07:44 PM
    Not trying to bag, just wondering what amps are you using that are rated at 60 amps, drawing 20-30 amps max draw, but take a 108 amp draw on Burp, cause those are some incredible amps, again just wondering
    [snapback]2315655[/snapback]
    I said 20-30 amps at the loudest i listen to it, not max draw. Max draw would be the 108 amps on a burp. The amp is an Orion HCCA2100.

Addict Poster

Originally posted by TOWN CAR92@Oct 22 2004, 01:39 PM
    it looks like the wire that runs from the alternator to the battery is fried........would running to many watts/amps off of the factory battery cause this
    [snapback]2319671[/snapback]
    Yes, excessive current draw will burn a wire.

Addict Poster
    Car Club
    DISTINCTIVE

ok well my battery is good and my alternator is good.....when i start my car the batt will read abot 12.3V then if i put my lights on it will go down to about 12V. as i start to turn up my radio it will proobably jus keep dropping....i cut it when it was down to about 11.6V. .... the battery charges itself back to about 12.3 again....help!!

22. Remove Advertisements
    LayItLow.com
    Advertisements

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Thread Information