Car Audio Tech Support Thread - Page 2
Welcome to the LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums.
LayItLow.com is the premier Lowriders Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Baller Poster
    Car Club
    Solo right now

BYPASS THE PARKING BRAKE SECURITY FEATURE ON DUAL INDASH PLAYERS

These methods have worked on a variety of Dual DVD systems (mainly XDVD8181, also XDVD710), unsuprisingly, since Dual stated to me that most installations have the same codes.

WARNING! It is usually ILLEGAL and most of all UNSAFE to drive while watching video. I only watch video while parked, and I suggest you do the same. This is for demonstration purposes only, if you use these codes, you do so at your own risk.

STEP ONE. Ground the E-Brake wire.
    No matter which method you use, you must ground the brake detection wire. I suggest you tap it into the ground wire on your wiring harness (ensures a good ground).

1. FACTORY RESET METHOD (Temporary)
    (This isn't the most effective, but it is the easiest to try, so it's worth a shot since it apparently works on some units.)
    ** Go to the Menu
    ** Get to the Settings Menu
    ** Select <yes> to Reset to Factory Settings.
    Credit: DKA

Have recently heard complaints of this method not being permanent, as this is needed everytime they want to watch a DVD. Also, radio and screen angle presets are lost.

----------------

2. AUDIO CD METHOD (Permanent)
    ** Insert Audio CD
    ** Press PLAY
    ** Press STOP twice on remote
    ** Enter 26604 on remote
    ** Press ENTER
    ** Take out Audio CD and Insert a DVD
    Credit: Myself via a DUAL Tech

----------------

3. DVD METHOD (Permanent)
    ** Insert a DVD
    ** Let it play until you hear sound
    ** Press STOP twice on remote
    ** Enter 26604
    ** Press ENTER
    Credit: Adam P.

The blue warning screen should immediately go away after pressing the last digit of "26604." Still press ENTER as a precaution.

2. Remove Advertisements
    LayItLow.com
    Advertisements

Baller Poster

I'm not too savvy with car audio, but I found this info online and thought I'd share it...

Speaker Fit Guide

Not sure what speakers fit your Lowrider.
    Here is the easy car speaker guide you can follow.
    Finding the speakers you need:

http://www.lowrider.com/information/speakerfit/
    Mostly Buick, but all GM...

1964 BUICK LESABRE

1971 BUICK SKYLARK

1991 BUICK CENTURY

2008 CHEVY TRAILBLAZER SS

Baller Poster
    Car Club
    Lone Cruiser

Candies, flakes & pearls!

How to bench test a Head Unit:

Power (red) and Ignition (Yellow) wires to + on battery and ground (Black) wire to - on battery. This will supply power to the unit.

I'm not sure how to test RCA's, the advanced installers might want to edit this.

Installation tools and wiring....

http://installer.com/

How to Install a Car Stereo Inside a House

1. Remove stereo from car or box, and connect. Make sure everything is connected except the 12v constant, 12v switched and ground wires to the stereo head unit.

2. Create a housing for the radio(this is optional). Make sure the housing has sufficient air space and dissipation of heat.

3. Prepare the power converter for installation. Remove packaging, attach required wires, etc. per its instructions. Or use a PC ATX power supply as an alternative.

4. Locate the the 12v constant (usually yellow wire) and 12v switched (usually red wire) from the head unit, twist them together and connect them to the 12v + positive output on the converter normally marked + and/or colored red, or connect them to any YELLOW wire from the PC power supply.

5. Connect the ground wire from the head unit,(usually black wire) to the negative jack (black) on the converter, Or any black wire from the PC power supply.

6. If using a PC Power supply, make sure it can provide sufficient current to power your stereo.

7. If operating from a PC Power supply that has been removed from a computer, you will need to join the GREEN wire of the power supply to any BLACK wire of the power supply otherwise it won't turn on

8. Cross fingers. Hold breath. Pray.

9. Plug in power converter / PC PSU into wall jack.

10. Turn on stereo.

Car Audio Manufacturer Stickers:

http://www.fastdecals.com/car_audio_stickers.htm

Probably the best place place to have amp repair done. I've seen many ++ feedbacks

http://www.db-r.com/

Addict Poster

POWER ACOUSTIK PTID 4006T BRAKE OVER RIDE

JUST GROUND OUT THE BRAKE WIRE!!!! ~~

Baller Poster
    Car Club
    850 luvs the cawk C.C.

Originally posted by Crenshaw's Finest@Apr 23 2008, 05:58 PM~10487074
    How to bench test a Head Unit:

Power (red) and Ignition (Yellow) wires to + on battery and ground (Black) wire to - on battery. This will supply power to the unit.

I'm not sure how to test RCA's, the advanced installers might want to edit this.
    FWIW I bench test RCAs by hooking them up to a home stereo receiver... to ensure i have signal output... I have one in the garage with RCAs hanging from it exclusively for this purpose.
    Loco Yesca's favorite Sobrino!!

Life ills, poison my body
    I used to say 'fuck mic skills,' and never prayed to God,
    I prayed to Gotti

"LOUISVILLE LOWRIDERS, Enter Here" Invasion pgs. 2395-2415 Oct. 17,2009
    ~A day of Infamy

Baller Poster

Here a topic I made with some good info.

http://www.layitlow.com/forums/index...owtopic=458890

I fixed your link.

BB

PosterPosterPosterPoster
    Rwaaarrr

Hello darkness, my old friend
    I've come to talk with you again

over it

I found two sites for calculating port dia. and length. You'll need to know what the volume of the enclosure will be with all displacement accounted for, as well as what HZ you want to tune it to.

This one works but the math is a bit tricky

http://www.clubknowledge.com/Car_Audio_FAQ/?t16

This is much quicker for calculating round ports. Their numbers came up the same as when I calculated my port off the first link.

http://www.psp-inc.com/tools.html
    Every knee will bow.

All glory be to God!

2GUNZ
    Car Club
    Done with Car Clubs

PROBABLY ONE OF THE BETTER SPEAKER IMPENDENCE CALCULATORS

OHMS CALCULATOR
    RETIRED---20 YEARS of MILITARY SERVICE

Addict Poster
    Car Club
    K-9 (k-NINE) Car Club

Got this from http://www.caraudiobook.com/car_audio_myth...audio_myths.htm
    I didnt go through everything on this site but looks like it has alot of helpful info.

Favorite Car Audio Myths
    Here's a list of my favorite car audio myths in no particular order.

1. Amplifiers should be grounded at the battery

Generally the battery is the worst place to ground an amplifier. The battery is where all of the electrical noise from the vehicle's various parts ends up. Like a noise garbage disposal. Connecting your audio components to this noise hub is a bad idea.

2. Adding a second battery to the vehicle will ease the load on the alternator

A second battery will increase the load on the alternator, not decrease it. With the vehicle running the second battery becomes another load for the alternator to charge. Second batteries are only good for engine off listening time.

3. Ground all of your audio components at the same place to eliminate noise

Sometimes this works and sometimes it makes the problem worse. When you ground any current carrying component to the vehicle you create a circular field at that point. Poorly designed audio components could pick up this field and introduce it as noise into the system. When this is the case it's a good idea to separate your components by six inches or more. The higher the current (large amps), the more space I recommend.

4. Routing power cables on the opposite side of the signal cables will prevent noise

Maybe. It will prevent the signal cables from picking up noise inductively from the power cables. But it won't prevent them from picking up noise from the vehicle's chassis or from other electronic components along their path. It's a good practice but doesn't guarantee noise pickup.

5. A high output alternator will reduce the chance of noise

Actually it's the opposite. The larger the alternator the greater the noise output. The noise increases with the power output of the alternator.

6. Power capacitors should be fused

The purpose of a car audio capacitor is to deliver large amounts of current very quickly (faster than a battery is capable of). Adding a fuse, which is just a short length of very small wire, will slow down this current delivery. And because capacitors can discharge so quickly the fuse wouldn't blow before the capacitor has discharged.

7. Adding more speakers will increase the sound quality

Volume, maybe. Sound quality, no. The more speakers you add to a system the greater the problems you will have due to speaker interaction. Each speaker is a little wave producer and when the waves from one speaker meet those of another speaker the results are peaks and dips in the response. Generally less is more when looking for sound quality. Look to the car audio competition finals winners and you'll see that they use a small number of high quality speakers.

8. Turning up all of the frequencies on an equalizer will increase the system volume

The system volume is based on many factors including system power and speaker sensitivity. The purpose of an equalizer is to compensate for vehicle specific problems and not as a general volume control. Boosting all of the frequencies won't make your system louder, only more distorted.

9. Tweeters should be placed as high up as possible

Tweeters should be placed as near to the midrange/woofer as possible in most cases. The tweeter and the midrange/woofer are a matched pair and shouldn't be separated. Imagine an electric guitar which has a wide acoustical range. If the guitar is playing a riff in the frequency range of the woofer and then switches to a riff in the frequency range of the tweeter you'll likely notice the position of the guitar jump. Now if the tweeter is placed near the woofer the guitar position will remain in place. Better installers can make a tweeter that is separated sound correct but a much safer bet is to leave the set together.

10. An amplifier's gain control should be set to maximum to get more volume

The purpose of the gain control is to match the output level of the component before it (head unit, equalizer, crossover, etc.) Since car audio manufacturers don't use a standard output level like home audio manufacturers do it is necessary to have an adjustable input. Adjusting the gain too high will only cause more distortion in the amplifier's output. Since our ears perceive distorted and painful sounds as louder this is a myth that has perpetuated.

Bottom line: Be careful who you listen to and what you believe (good advice for life too). There are plenty of folks inside and outside the car audio realm that will simply make something up if they don't know the answer (don't want to look stupid). Then there are those that have been told a lie, accepted it as truth, and passed it along. When in doubt, get a second opinion.

Mind over matter.
    79 Mercury Cougar
    77 Monte Carlo

Baller Poster
    Car Club
    no club yet

hello all
    I figured that we could maby start a thread here sharing tricks and knoledge that we have aquired - obviously since we are all individuals we will have diffrent oppinions of the best sounds and installs - where some people will like acurate reproduction thru the hz range and some people will like pure spl over acuracy -but its all good - so lets share

1 - sound for all intensive purposes has a hz rating.
    the sound of your voice - the sound of a hammer hitting nails - a tree falling in the woods - all sounds are capable of being measured on the hz scale.

hz = hertz
    hertz = how many sound waves there are per second.

1 to 20 hertz or hz are basicly concidered sub sonic - meaning you cant hear them - but I generaly feel like this is some what un true - as the 18" sub woofer I have in my car will play on 15hz tones and produce a condiderable amount of noise wethere its just the mechanical noise of the sub or me aduibly hearing what 15hz sounds like is arguable - but I tell you what - you get in a car with a big sub off a good amount of power and play 15hz tones you can REALLEY feel it.

sub bass is next up in the hz scale
    what is concidered sub bass is also arguable - but is mostly from 20hz to 80 or 100 hz. anything above 100 hz is starting to get to mid terratory.

top of the line car audio amplifiers will amplify sound ranges from 10 or 20 hz up to 40 thousand or more hz.

now something intresting -
    the power in your house - like what you plug your crap in to. its fed by ac current. ac means alternating current - and it generaly is suposed to be fed at around 55 to 60 hz in your house at 120volts
    guess what your amps do ..... yep same thing - apply alternating power to your speakers / subs.
    60 hz just happens to fall in the upper range of sub bass frequencys
    so if you have any old or crappy sub woofers laying around you could try this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-IxTr...eature=related
    disclaimer - be safe when doing this - you could electrucute your self - think like what would happen when you stick a fork in the electrical socket.... same rules apply

the subwoofer that was being used in that vid was pretty beefy cause it played for a fiew minutes before melting down around the 3:10 minute mark.
    most kicker and sony type subs will only last a short burp before burning up off of ac house hold power due to its current being so high at 120 volts.
    volts times amps = watts so if you had a sub woofer hooked to a wall socket that was connected to your breaker box on a 20 amp switch - then you would have had 2400 rms watts running to the subwoofer wich can be manipulated a little by the ohm load that the sub woofer is wired to also but....... you get the point.

next little intresting info bit ive got is this:
    the fuze rating on the amp x10 = the full 100% out put capacity of the amp in watts.

sony xplode amp - says 1200w on the cover.
    fuzed with two 20amp fuzes so its got 40 amps worth of power running thru it wich is capable of giving off 400 real watts of power before.
    I dont care if it says 1200w on the cover its a flat out lie. - and 400w from is is completely absolutely the most it could make in ideal situations.

this or that amp has 90 amps of fuze on it....... - its capable of making 900w - thats it. - apply your fuze rating on the amp x10 = your max power in rms w.

there are also exeptions to this rule wich factor in things like efficency of the amp and also the ohm load you are putting to the amp.

what the heck is an ohm ?

ohms are like resistance on electricity.
    the more ohms something is the harder time electricity will have flowing thru it.
    it is arguable that our car stereo speakers sound cleaner and more acurate at higher ohm loads ( ie 4 ohms ) than they would running off lower ohm loads ( ie 2 ohms ) but again it is arguable on how much the diffrence will realley be capable of being noticed in the environment of a car with other noise going on also.

your amp will put off more power at lower ohm loads.
    if it does 100w at 4 ohms - then it might do 150 or 200w at 2 ohms
    but
    you have to check your amp to see its lowest ohm load that it can handel before going in to thermal melt down or protect mode - as running amps on low ohm loads tends to heat them up quick and they literly can catch on fire if you run impropper load rating to them.

this is the most handy tool ive ever used for anything car related. stereo / engine ..... it can be had for $25 basicly anywhere
    its called a digital multi meter. or dmm for short. its amazing.

the weird setting in the green area on it that looks sorta like a pair of head phones measures ohms.
    dc settings measure car battery voltage wich is direct current
    ac settings measure alternating current like in your house - or coming out of your amp - wich you can also tune to play an exact amount of watts to your speakers by first hooking up the dmm to the amp and playing a tone - ajusting the gain knob on the amp until you reach your maximum ac voltage on the dmm. there is a huge huge involved process in wich you have to follow for this to work - but its not rocket science - and ill try and post up a link to it when I find it again. this is helpful to do if your running verry high power to your subs and dont want to over do it - like if you have a 2000w amp and a sub that will melt down on anything above 1500w you can set your amp to max out at 1500w with the dmm so that you will never send anything above 1500w to the sub and kill it.

lets go back to sound waves for a minute.... have a picture of them.

the blue line is the natural wave of sound.

the yellow peaks are mimal clipping
    and the red peaks are dangerous clipping.

whats all this about clipping ? its what kills speakers - thats whats up.

a speaker will play a natural sound wave by fully entering and exiting the wave wich always will have a cone movment in every part of the wave.

the clipped wave will have a flat spot where the cone will stay stuck out for a brief period - wich will cause no air flow to pass over the voice coils so they will instantly start heating up. exesive heat buildup in the voice coil of the speaker/sub will cause it to destroy it self.

how does clipping happen ? by a number of things - but mostly its by turning up the gain / power leves beyond 75% on any piece of stereo equipment you have in the car. head unit / amps / line driver / eq - all of it counts for this.

some people actually have an ear for it - and can hear the clipped sound of the speakers / sub when its grossly distorted like it is in red in the sound wave pic.
    south FL (954) where is the hydraulic scene at ?

Baller Poster
    Car Club
    no club yet

something else ive recently found out :

your cars electrical system can only put out as much power as its designed to do.
    ?

my 72 plymouth valiant came stock with a 60amp alternator
    and a normal starting battery with like 650cca ratings.

so its total output = 60amps x10 = 600watts

I put in a 600w stereo system - and fried my ignition coil
    why ? because I upgraded all the power wires running to my amps
    and all the electricity that my car was making at that time was being sent to the amps and stereo - because electricity takes the path of least resistance - the ignition coil was being starved of its propper electrical supply causing it to run off of in suficent power / low voltage = its death.

this same thery of mine applys to you guys that get dimming of the headlights durring loud levels of music.

whats going on is this:
    your cars alternator is generaly producing around 14.1 to 14.4 volts at what ever amp your alternator is rated at - wich is supplying your car battery with enough power to float charge it self - as car batterys generaly rest around 12.6 volts or so and the stereo is blasting loud now right - whell all the power that the alternator is making is now being fed to the stereo......
    lets use some make believe #s here to get an idea of whats happening.....

your stereo is turned up so loud its asking for 160 amps of power from the car.
    your car alternator is capable of filling 120 amps worth of electrical supply for that.
    the car battery is capable of giving off 40 amps at a certan discharge rate ( diffrent for all batterys - and hard as hell to figure out ) but there is your 160 amps for the stereo - the catch is this...
    since your alternator is maxed out giving its all to the stereo - and the battery is also giving off its power to the stereo at the same time - there is nothing giving float charge to the battery - so the volts to the system will drop down to below battery resting voltage...... wich is REALLEY BAD for everything.
    your cars computers - they dont like operating at 10 volts
    your amps are working extra hard to fight for all that power they are taking - and they are now running in eficently due to the low voltage situation.
    your alternator is crying the entire time - and will eventually melt down.
    and your car battery is being drained.

to properly fix the situation would require the instilation of a high output alternator - or a second alternator wired in correctly - and or a reserve battery bank ( wich is not as good as a good alt. is - but anything is better than nothing )
    upgrading the wiring on the car ( the big 3 )
    south FL (954) where is the hydraulic scene at ?

* MODERATOR*

How to Reset GM Theft lock Radio's

Article Disclaimer: This article is meant to be used by Delco Radio owners to reset there radios. In no way is it meant to be used for any unethical or unlawful ways.

Purpose

The following instructions will allow you to reset any GM (General Motors), Cadillac, Oldsmobile, Buick, Pontiac theft lock radio.

Requirements

The theft lock radio must be in "LOC" mode.

Procedure:

1. Turn the ignition ON (The radio should display "LOC")

2. Hold down the Radio Presets 2 and 3 buttons for six seconds

3. The radio display changes from LOC to a three-digit number. Write this number down. You now have fifteen seconds to complete the next step.

4. Press the AM/FM button

5. The radio display changes to another three-digit number. Write this number to the right of the first one.

6. You now have a six-digit number, the first three digits are from STEP 03 and the last three digits are form STEP 05

7. Call 1-800-537-5140

8. Press 1 then # (pound). You'll hear "Invalid Code, try again"

9. Press 139010 or 106010 or 206010 or 202107 then # (pound). You will be asked to enter your four or six digit code followed by *

10. Enter the number from STEP 6 then *

11. Listen to the four-digit number and write it down. It will be repeated twice

12. Turn the ignition ON (The radio displays LOC)

13. Use the MN and HR buttons to enter the code from STEP 11

14. Press the AM/FM button. The radio display changes to "SEC". Your radio is now "un-locked" and usable.

Dealership Codes

Troubleshooting

If you fail to enter the correct code eight times, the radio goes into INOP mode. You have to wait an hour with the ignition on before the radio returns to LOC mode.

Read more: http://www.articlesbase.com/automoti...#ixzz0wrwcOeRn
    Under Creative Commons License: Attribution

* MODERATOR*

A simple GUI-interface box tuning calculator.

I haven't tried this, perhaps it will be useful, try it out.

http://cid-1e28f7d3956a626f.office.live.co...0Calculator.exe

22. Remove Advertisements
    LayItLow.com
    Advertisements

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Thread Information