Ported through truck cab/bed
Welcome to the LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums.
LayItLow.com is the premier Lowriders Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Addict Poster
    Car Club
    City Knights Lowriders-NC

box design, port size?
    I just picked up four Infinity 1040w's for next to nothing, and I want to put them in my s-10. I want to port the box through the cab, bot I'm not sure about how to build the box, or how big to make the hole in the cab/ bed. Is there anywhere I can find this out.

2. Remove Advertisements
    LayItLow.com
    Advertisements

Addict Poster
    Car Club

ttt

2GUNZ
    Car Club
    Done with Car Clubs

Well the first thing you need to realize is that when you do that, you have now changed the configuration of that Truck. The hard thing about a truck is that its bed, and cab move independent to each other. So when your cab is going down, your bed could be coming up, and vice versa. So your big things is gonna be to Cut, then you will need some type of Accordian boot to but between your bed and cab to allow it to flex. Back in the day we used tires. At first I ran curved Piping into a fabricated window, which was pretty cool. But later I ran the accordian boot. I have seen people do Patches, but the shit always bent, or looked like shit. But I can explain more, but you really need to leave that to a professional that has the knowledge to do it right, don't wanna do and fuck up your truck
    RETIRED---20 YEARS of MILITARY SERVICE

Addict Poster
    Car Club
    www.snoopdan.com

nahh all you need is a cutting torch and a rubber boot, and its on. Ive seen people make bandpass boxes with two round vents going in behind the seats on both sides, so you didnt have to cut one big hole.

MECA SPL Judge

Addict Poster
    Car Club

So the box design doesn't make a difference? Just build a box, with some sort of tunnel. Get an accordian boot from from a truck topper place and join them together. Does the size of the port matter?

Baller Poster

I use to have a neighbor with a chevy s10 he had a big steal box weilded inside the bed with a seal box inside it with 4 12"s firing into the cab

Addict Poster
    Car Club

how did it sound?

Baller Poster

that is how my current sytem in my truck is.
    I just outlined the bed with the box specs and cut it out, then outlined them on the cab and cut through it, making a larger diameter cut surrounding the box to accommodate the rubber accoridion boot that u need to prevent any leakage coming into the truck..Once the box is bolted to the bed and in the cab i put sound dampening around the enclosure to block out road noise-Sounds real good without loosing any cab space for the kids to sit!!

Addict Poster
    Car Club

So I cut out the hole, install the boot, then slip the box into the boot , bolt it down and I should be good?

Addict Poster

Originally posted by Airborne@Jan 1 2006, 04:39 PM~4527742
    So the box design doesn't make a difference? Just build a box, with some sort of tunnel. Get an accordian boot from from a truck topper place and join them together. Does the size of the port matter?
    yes! ...

you do understand that when porting you are tuning the box a certain frequency?

you tune it by the amount of airspace, area and length of the port...

but do remember you can get the same freq. with different size ports, if your using cylinder/tube ports, make sure you use flared tubes and get the largest diameter reasonable for your setup... the flaring and larger diameter will help in eliminating unwanted port noise...

an example of the bigger diameter tube and different port sizes creating the same freq:

(using the calculator from www.the12volt.com/caraudio/boxcalcs.asp)

for my RE10's i needed 1 cuft of airspace tuned to 32hz

using a 2" diameter tube thats 6.8" long, i will reach 32hz
    using a 3" diameter tube thats 16.4" long, i will also reach 32hz
    using a 4" diameter tube thats 30.1" long, will again get me to 32hz

for my application, the 3" diameter is the best fit, the 2" would work aswell but the 3" will yeild less port noise compared to the 2"... the 4" would work of course, but requires more work, you mid as well do a slot vent before runing 30" of tube...

just something to think about...
    'Rockford Z3 12" and PA power series 300watt amp [$60 shipped anywhere to 48 states]

GET IT HERE!!!

suggested by 1ofaknd : Slot Ported Calculator

Baller Poster
    Car Club
    Art Of Noize

Originally posted by snoopdan@Jan 1 2006, 02:46 PM~4527315
    nahh all you need is a cutting torch and a rubber boot, and its on.* Ive seen people make bandpass boxes with two round vents going in behind the seats on both sides, so you didnt have to cut one big hole.

Just want to point out, that you should not cut your cab or bed with a cutting torch..... Use a sawzall or a cutting wheel.. the sawzall will be the fastest and give you the cleanest cuts

if you use the torch you risk fire and the possibility of damaging the electrical system.... the torch would also require you to go back and clean up every inch cut so you will be doubling the work needed

Addict Poster

Originally posted by Gumby@Jan 1 2006, 06:30 PM~4528199
    Just want to point out, that you should not cut your cab or bed with a cutting torch..... Use a sawzall or a cutting wheel.. the sawzall will be the fastest and give you the cleanest cuts

if you use the torch you risk fire and the possibility of damaging the electrical system.... the torch would also require you to go back and clean up every inch cut so you will be doubling the work needed

good insight

just a question: why didnt you port your T1's??? you had the space, have the skill, had the materials...
    'Rockford Z3 12" and PA power series 300watt amp [$60 shipped anywhere to 48 states]

GET IT HERE!!!

Baller Poster
    Car Club
    Art Of Noize

Originally posted by CuttieBuddie@Jan 1 2006, 06:38 PM~4528237
    good insight

just a question: why didnt you port your T1's??? you had the space, have the skill, had the materials...
    Because with everything being sponsored I had to show everything.... If I ran a ported enclosure it would have been double the size making it very difficult to show 6 optima batteries, 2pumps, 4 10's and 2 amps... As you can see it would not have all fit and been visable
    Attached Images Attached Images

Addict Poster

i see, how long have you been doing this line of work? must feel lucky to be recognized... did your hand in the project stop at the glass'n and wiring for the system?

im asking because you seem like you got cloute, i need a custom 4-link/3-link/wishbone for my '01 ram that doesnt require me to relocate the gas tank, and doesnt requre a pan-hard bar... im open to bag over axle, cantilever, but not open to bag over leaf

GET IT HERE!!!

Baller Poster
    Car Club
    Art Of Noize

this is my 00 ram... we did the lower bars foward and the upper bars reverse.... this limits your lift but if you run a bag over the axle it works perfect and allows you to keep the tank in the same place...

No I was involved in every aspect of the build, I did allot of the prep work for paint, and disabling of the car, I installed all of the accessories(brake kit, exhaust ect) I also did the hydraulics... the battery rack and pumps were mounted by grunion but the rest of the install was done by myself and some freinds in one night when we did the original battery and pump rack...

And I have been doing customs since before I could drive... granted the first few years were nothing to brag about, but that last 5 have helped build my reputation to what it is now in the scene
    Attached Images Attached Images

Addict Poster

Originally posted by Gumby@Jan 1 2006, 07:17 PM~4528422
    this is my 00 ram... we did the lower bars foward and the upper bars reverse.... this limits your lift but if you run a bag over the axle it works perfect and allows you to keep the tank in the same place...

No I was involved in every aspect of the build, I did allot of the prep work for paint, and disabling of the car, I installed all of the accessories(brake kit, exhaust ect) I also did the hydraulics... the battery rack and pumps were mounted by grunion but the rest of the install was done by myself and some freinds in one night when we did the original battery and pump rack...

And I have been doing customs since before I could drive... granted the first few years were nothing to brag about, but that last 5 have helped build my reputation to what it is now in the scene
    think its time we go at it over PM's... my heart kinda fluttered just then

you have a PM...

GET IT HERE!!!

Banned
    Car Club
    B A N N E D ! ! !

Originally posted by CuttieBuddie@Jan 1 2006, 04:24 PM~4528446
    think its time we go at it over PM's... my heart kinda fluttered just then

you have a PM...
    lmfao

Addict Poster
    Car Club

I have a box figured out, ported and tuned @ 22hz like the spec sheet that came with the speakers said. the only problem I see is that I can only use 2" ports to make them all fit. Think I might run into port noise. What do you think? Also do I have to make the hole in the cab/bed as big as the box? I know dirtywhiteboy66 said to leave it to a pro, but I would much rather do it my self. Thanks Homies!

Baller Poster
    Car Club
    Art Of Noize

I have only done one but it was cut slightly smaller then the box so that the seal would not only seal the cab and the bed but also allow the box to be sealed to the bed by the gasket

* MODERATOR*

Originally posted by Airborne@Jan 1 2006, 10:14 PM~4529446
    I have a box figured out, ported and tuned @ 22hz like the spec sheet that came with the speakers said. the only problem I see is that I can only use 2" ports to make them all fit. Think I might run into port noise. What do you think? Also do I have to make the hole in the cab/bed as big as the box? I know dirtywhiteboy66* said to leave it to a pro, but I would much rather do it my self. Thanks Homies!
    What kind of subs do you have that say to tune to 22Hz? :0

22. Remove Advertisements
    LayItLow.com
    Advertisements

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Thread Information