Ground Noise
Welcome to the LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums.
LayItLow.com is the premier Lowriders Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Ground Noise

Baller Poster

what to do
    Okay so i put my new amp in the trunk.. hook it up to a speaker back there ..hit the power and hear the low hum of the dreded ground noise..so first things first i move it around to a different spot..still making the noise..i move it to a previous grounding location ..never made noise with any of my other amps but now it is.. so i pull up the RCAs and put them down the middle ..[over the carpet just to see] STILL making noise

any ideas on what to do? ground loop isolator??

do you run just the power wire on 1 side and then rcas remote wire on the other side

never had this happen on my other systems before..

Everythang I Drive Got Leather and Wood!!!
    [..:.::い 1979 Cadillac Coupe DeVille い::..:.]

[..:.::い 1987 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham い::..:.]

2. Remove Advertisements
    LayItLow.com
    Advertisements

Addict Poster
    Car Club
    M.C.B.A.

check your headunit...

i've had the problem, that when i installed a deck (no amp at all) after you cram the wires back in the dash, the +12v can interfere with your signal wires, and you'll have alt. noise. I just retaped it all up and made sure they were seperated by a good amount of space.

dunno if this'll help ya or not though
    --------------------
    SCALE LOWS
    JEVRIES.com Designs for all kinds
    --------------------
    --------------------
    Active Member: M.C.B.A. of America

Aspiring Poster

always run your power wires seperate from your signal wires. make sure the ground is no longer than 3 ft. on bare metal, (has to be some solid good metal), with a ring terminal on the end. you could try a ground loop isolator, it may work, it depends on how back the noise you are getting is. good luck.
    im someone who just doesnt give a fuck, so dont waste your time trying to change that...

slumped out
    guns out
    on a mission - one route
    niggas gettin dumped out - like bitches they fall out
    slumped out
    on the steering wheel
    with a chunk out ya brain nigga
    you out the game nigga

Baller Poster

did that still didnt work right i got a isolator and no more noise..appreciate the info guys

Everythang I Drive Got Leather and Wood!!!
    [..:.::い 1979 Cadillac Coupe DeVille い::..:.]

[..:.::い 1987 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham い::..:.]

GLASSHOUSE RIDER

MY SYSTEM IS DOING THE SAME THING, I PUT AN ISOLATOR THIS WEEKEND AND THAT NOISE'S STILL THERE, MY RCAS ARE ON ONE SIDE AND THE POWER WIRE IS ON THE OTHER SIDE OF THE CAR. I'LL CHECK THE GROUND ON MY AMPS, I KNOW I GROUNDED BOTH OF THEM SEPARATELY TO THE BACK DECK OF MY CAR. IS THAT A BAD PLACE TO GROUND THE AMPS? ALSO THE NOISE IS ONLY ON MY 6X9S ON THE BACK DECK.
    M&M HYDRAULICS & ACCESSORIES
    520 SOUTH MOUNTAIN
    ONTARIO, CA. 91762
    (909) 933-9191
    SPECIALIZING IN FRAME REINFORCING, INSTALLATION, PARTS & SERVICE.
    ASK FOR CHICO OR JOE

!!!TELL THEM SMURF SENT YOU!!!

Addict Poster

Originally posted by SMURF@Feb 23 2004, 06:50 PM
    MY SYSTEM IS DOING THE SAME THING, I PUT AN ISOLATOR THIS WEEKEND AND THAT NOISE'S STILL THERE, MY RCAS ARE ON ONE SIDE AND THE POWER WIRE IS ON THE OTHER SIDE OF THE CAR. I'LL CHECK THE GROUND ON MY AMPS, I KNOW I GROUNDED BOTH OF THEM SEPARATELY TO THE BACK DECK OF MY CAR. IS THAT A BAD PLACE TO GROUND THE AMPS? ALSO THE NOISE IS ONLY ON MY 6X9S ON THE BACK DECK.
    How many amps do you have, and which amp is on what? If you have an amp just on the 6x9's you could have a problem in the amp. As far as the ground goes, that should be fine but it may not be.
    Looking for Sundown Audio? SundownOnly.com

"Lowriding was developed around stealing anyways." - AndrewH

GLASSHOUSE RIDER

I have 2 amps, one crossfire 2 channel for my bazzooka, and one crossfire 4 channel for my 2 6x9s. My system used to work properly with no engine noise. I've had the same stuff for about a year and a half and it never did that, untill recently, after i had some major engine work done.
    520 SOUTH MOUNTAIN
    ONTARIO, CA. 91762
    (909) 933-9191
    ASK FOR CHICO OR JOE

Addict Poster

Originally posted by SMURF@Feb 24 2004, 03:30 PM
    I have 2 amps, one crossfire 2 channel for my bazzooka, and one crossfire 4 channel for my 2 6x9s. My system used to work properly with no engine noise. I've had the same stuff for about a year and a half and it never did that, untill recently, after i had some major engine work done.
    Check your ground wires from the motor to chassis, and battery to chassis. They may not have secured them properly which is causing the noise. You probably have noise in the 2 channel you just can't hear it because its low pass.

GLASSHOUSE RIDER

You're probably right, i can't hear the noise in the bazooka.
    Last night i was going through it, checked all the wires, made sure the power was separated from the RCAs, and i also relocated the ground of the 4 channel, and i keep hearing the fucking engine noise.
    I also noticed that the battery ground is bolted to the engine block, is this bad?
    When you say the ground wires from the motor to chassis, which wires are you talking about, where would they be? Sorry i never really fucked with my sounds before.
    520 SOUTH MOUNTAIN
    ONTARIO, CA. 91762
    (909) 933-9191
    ASK FOR CHICO OR JOE

Addict Poster

Originally posted by SMURF@Feb 24 2004, 07:38 PM
    You're probably right, i can't hear the noise in the bazooka.
    Last night i was going through it, checked all the wires, made sure the power was separated from the RCAs, and i also relocated the ground of the 4 channel, and i keep hearing the fucking engine noise.
    I also noticed that the battery ground is bolted to the engine block, is this bad?
    When you say the ground wires from the motor to chassis, which wires are you talking about, where would they be? Sorry i never really fucked with my sounds before.
    On most cars, there is a ground wire from the engine to the cars body/frame, and another ground from the battery to the body/frame. The motor is a good ground, but do you have a ground ONLY from the battery to the engine? If so, add a ground from the battery to the body/frame. The engine has motor mounts, which are rubber and dont conduct electricity, therefore your entire body isn't a good ground. As far as the wires from the motor to the chassis, they could be anywhere around the engine, different on every car.

12. Remove Advertisements
    LayItLow.com
    Advertisements

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Thread Information