test Oil/Choke Light Comes On At Random.
Welcome to the LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums.
LayItLow.com is the premier Lowriders Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Baller Poster

When Standing Still
    86 buick regal 307

my oil/choke light blinks on and off

i have gas.
    i changed my oil not too long ago.

it only happens when im on the brake.
    when im accelerating it goes off.

is it cause of a bad fuel pump or is it cause i simply need a oil change.

i use 10w 30

should i use 20w 40 like some people tell me.

help!
    I Am Black But....

I Am Not CHECKCAM

Nominate Your Favorite Dumbass For The Weekly

LAY IT LOW
    Shut The Fuck Up AWARD!

2. Remove Advertisements
    LayItLow.com
    Advertisements

Baller Poster
    Car Club
    Alumni - East San Diego

Originally posted by ReturnOfThaKilla@Sep 27 2007, 11:24 AM~8881471
    i have gas.

But serious.

Sounds like your engine idle may be too low and your oil pressure is dipping down really low (like a worn out engine). First thing I would do is up the idle to about 800 in park (should be about 700 in drive). Think about a possible change of oil to a 10w-40 or 20w-50 and see what happens.
    64 Impala SS - 250HP 327 - OG
    Joe is the cars name, not mine...

"Knock yourself a pro slick. Gray matter back got perform' us' down I take TCBin, man'."
    (Translation: Don't be naive Arthur. Each of us faces a clear moral choice.)

Enthusiast Poster

what he said

Enthusiast Poster
    Car Club
    solo

Like joe64ss said low oil pressure at idle. Time for a rebuild on that old tired motor.

Baller Poster

Originally posted by scr8pin@Sep 27 2007, 05:58 PM~8882506
    Like joe64ss said low oil pressure at idle.¬* Time for a rebuild on that old tired motor.
    not quite yet.
    but thanks.
    I Am Black But....

I Am Not CHECKCAM

Nominate Your Favorite Dumbass For The Weekly

LAY IT LOW
    Shut The Fuck Up AWARD!

Enthusiast Poster
    Car Club
    solo

Originally posted by ReturnOfThaKilla@Sep 27 2007, 05:46 PM~8882897
    not quite¬* yet.
    but thanks.
    I am assuming you do not have an oil pressure gauge? Check the rpms and oil pressure at idle.

Baller Poster
    Car Club
    Alumni - East San Diego

You need to see what the relation is between the choke light and the oil light. Get out a wiring diagram. It could be as simple as you alternator isn't putting out enough juice at idle to keep the lights off (less than 10 volts). Does your battery light work at all? If it does and it does not come on at idle, then it is something else. If it doesn't work when you turn the key on, then fix it first.

The way dash lights like these work is when the car is off and the key is on, there is 12v and ground going to the light. When the engine is on, the alternator puts 12v back though the circuit turning the light off (no ground) and the oil pressure switch is held open by pressure (no ground). It could be simple, it could be complicated.

Sounds like a fixable one though.
    64 Impala SS - 250HP 327 - OG
    Joe is the cars name, not mine...

"Knock yourself a pro slick. Gray matter back got perform' us' down I take TCBin, man'."
    (Translation: Don't be naive Arthur. Each of us faces a clear moral choice.)

Enthusiast Poster
    Car Club
    solo

Originally posted by joe64ss@Sep 27 2007, 06:03 PM~8882988
    You need to see what the relation is between the choke light and the oil light. Get out a wiring diagram. It could be as simple as you alternator isn't putting out enough juice at idle to keep the lights off (less than 10 volts). Does your battery light work at all? If it does and it does not come on at idle, then it is something else. If it doesn't work when you turn the key on, then fix it first.

The way dash lights like these work is when the car is off and the key is on, there is 12v and ground going to the light. When the engine is on, the alternator puts 12v back though the circuit turning the light off (no ground) and the oil pressure switch is held open by pressure (no ground). It could be simple, it could be complicated.

Sounds like a fixable one though.
    I believe they are the same bulb choke/oil.

Addict Poster
    Car Club
    DISTINCTIVE LIFESTYLES

Originally posted by ReturnOfThaKilla+Sep 27 2007, 01:24 PM~8881471-->
    86 buick regal 307

my oil/choke light blinks on and off

i have gas.
    i changed my oil not too long ago.

it only happens when im on the brake.
    when im accelerating it goes off.
    [/b]
    This just happened tonight with my Regal that has a 307. Light comes on when it's in drive and at a stop but goes off if i put it in park or nuetral. How did you end up fixing it? I didn't find any broken vacuum lines or anything like that, oil level is fine. Can hear a little bit of light knocking from driver side valve cover when i tap the gas real quick. Oil pump going out?? Idle speed too low(seems the same it's always been)?

<!--QuoteBegin-scr8pin
    @Sep 28 2007, 07:29 AM~8887249
    I believe they are the same bulb¬*¬* choke/oil.
    yeah, same bulb.
    "Too Many Dreamers, Not enough Builders"

My Feedback Topic

Addict Poster
    Car Club
    DISTINCTIVE LIFESTYLES

Originally posted by cashmoneyspeed@Aug 30 2008, 11:36 PM~11481512
    This just happened tonight with my Regal that has a 307. Light comes on when it's in drive and at a stop but goes off if i put it in park or nuetral.¬* How did you end up fixing it?¬* I didn't find any broken vacuum lines or anything like that, oil level is fine.¬* Can hear a little bit of light knocking from driver side valve cover when i tap the gas real quick.¬* Oil pump going out?? Idle speed too low(seems the same it's always been)?
    yeah, same bulb.
    Anyone?

Addict Poster
    Car Club
    DISTINCTIVE LIFESTYLES

Choke/oil light is coming on as soon as the car is warmed up, goes out when accelerating, but comes back on when decelerating and at a stop unless i put it in nuetral. Engine is running real hot and starting to knock a little from under the valve cover(lifters). It got so hot that is shut off and wouldn't turn back on until it cooled down so looks like i'll be putting a new oil pump in it and hoping for the best.

My Feedback Topic

Had the same problem with my old Celebrity. Like someone said above, the choke light might be in the wiring circuit for your alternator. Mine was. I tested the alternator and it failed miserably, I changed out the alternator and it resolved the problem.

A test I do, which might not be the "right" way to do it, but it should help if you don't have a volt meter, is start the car and unplug the battery. If the car can run on the alternator alone.. it might be alright. If it doesn't, you have a strong possibility to go look at.

Baller Poster
    Car Club
    G~MoneyCustoms homo

Originally posted by Slacker@Sep 2 2008, 01:26 AM~11494860
    Had the same problem with my old Celebrity. Like someone said above, the choke light might be in the wiring circuit for your alternator. Mine was. I tested the alternator and it failed miserably, I changed out the alternator and it resolved the problem.

A test I do, which might not be the "right" way to do it, but it should help if you don't have a volt meter,¬* is start the car and unplug the battery. If the car can run on the alternator alone.. it might be alright. If it doesn't, you have a strong possibility to go look at.
    lol... slacker..
    "Btw I look straight into my dudes eyes while I give him head hoping he will take a pic. U guys know I like to post pics N vids."-ROBLEDO

My Hometown Webpage

http://www.instructables.com/id/SC3JW5EFK75D20B/

"only lowrider people hate on lowrider people...
    everyone else is happy with thier dependable cars and houses..."-gumbii

Addict Poster

i have the same problem sometimes with my regal..3.8 v-6..if i'm at an idle for a long time sometimes the choke-oil light will come on but if i rev it up a lil it goes off...oil level is where it should be...time for a new oil pump??
    *bitch u ain't ballin take them 20's off your mamas tauras* White 1983 Buick Regal Limited, Chrome 13's, system, power everything..Clean is how my ride is described!
    Check out my 1969 impala in project rides..

Originally posted by capone530@Sep 2 2008, 08:19 PM~11502592
    i have the same problem sometimes with my regal..3.8 v-6..if i'm at an idle for a long time sometimes the choke-oil light will come on but if i rev it up a lil it goes off...oil level is where it should be...time for a new oil pump??
    First thing to try.... change your oil and add a can of stp oil treatment or other ''honey oil''
    1964 JET-SMOOTH LUXURY CHEVROLET

Addict Poster
    Car Club
    DISTINCTIVE LIFESTYLES

Originally posted by capone530@Sep 2 2008, 10:19 PM~11502592
    Just tore mine down on my v-8, what a pain in the ass taking the exhaust off, starter, motor mounts, lifting the engine, etc......The pump on your V-6 if fairly easy, like changing out a pump motor, change it before you end up like i was.

Went to take the wires off the starter and the top of the solenoid cracked off so time for another starter now too. When i took the plastic cover off that sits under the flywheel, i found one of the flywheel to torque convertor bolts :0

My Feedback Topic

Addict Poster
    Car Club
    ROLLERZ ONLY SAN ANTONIO

Originally posted by Ragtop Ted@Sep 2 2008, 09:22 PM~11502638
    First thing to try.... change your oil and add a can of stp oil treatment or other¬* ''honey oil''¬*

and then get gunk and build up in the oil pan

and where the hell have u seen a can of stp at?
    1995 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham - "Lac Of Sleep"
    Yes sir, those be Daytons on the Lac
    CAR CLUB = NONE FAMILY = ROLLERZ ONLY
    ROLLERZ FOREVER FOREVER ROLLERZ
    THANKS JOHN AT KANDY SHOP CUSTOMS!

Originally posted by Sleepy G@Sep 3 2008, 05:37 PM~11510422
    and then get gunk and build up in the oil pan
    and where the hell have u seen a can of stp at?
    The engine just might be old and tired. Oil treatment would help if the light is coming on because of worn engine parts. If it is an old engine, it already has its share of sludge in it, one bottle of oil treatment wouldn't make it worse. Its worth a try because it is simple and cheap. If it doesn't work, then I would look at the oil pump. STP oil treatment is available throughout California.

Addict Poster
    Car Club
    ROLLERZ ONLY SAN ANTONIO

Originally posted by Ragtop Ted@Sep 3 2008, 08:24 PM~11511616
    The engine just might be old and tired.¬* Oil treatment would help if the light is coming on because of worn engine parts.¬* If it is an old engine, it already has its share of sludge in it, one bottle of oil treatment wouldn't make it worse.¬* Its worth a try because it is simple and cheap.¬* If it doesn't work, then I would look at the oil pump.¬* STP oil treatment is available throughout California.¬*

ID FLUSH IT OUT, AND ADD SOME 40 WEIGHT OIL AND SOME LUCAS INSTEAD OF USING THAT SHIT

OR A CAN OF SEAFOAM IN THE OIL A FEW HOURS BEFORE CHAINGING THE OIL
    1995 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham - "Lac Of Sleep"
    Yes sir, those be Daytons on the Lac
    CAR CLUB = NONE FAMILY = ROLLERZ ONLY
    ROLLERZ FOREVER FOREVER ROLLERZ
    THANKS JOHN AT KANDY SHOP CUSTOMS!

Originally posted by Sleepy G@Sep 3 2008, 09:54 PM~11513297
    ID FLUSH IT OUT, AND ADD SOME 40 WEIGHT OIL AND SOME LUCAS INSTEAD OF USING THAT SHIT

OR A CAN OF SEAFOAM IN THE OIL A FEW HOURS BEFORE CHAINGING THE OIL
    That's a good idea too.

22. Remove Advertisements
    LayItLow.com
    Advertisements

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Thread Information