Moisture in Lincoln Town Car Headlight
Welcome to the LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums.
LayItLow.com is the premier Lowriders Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
    SPELL CHECK
    Car Club
    Twizted Stylz

I have moisture in one of the headlights of my '98 TC. I was going to remove the clear plastic lens section from the bucket to clean and dry it and properly reseal it. Some vehicles, this can be done simply by heating up the assembly in an oven, and then prying the clear lens from the bucket, but it doesn't seem so cut and dry on this assembly.

I noticed the clear part of the lens seems to have a black section around it, with like 2 clips on top, and another 1-2 on the bottom attaching it to the assembly. Do I need to remove that, or is there a way to get the clear apart from the black? Anybody ever try this method?

While fiddling around with the assembly, I tried to turn the thing to all different angles to try to trace where the water is entering, but the only place I could get it to drip from were the vents.
    Cars, trucks, motorcycles

2. Remove Advertisements
    LayItLow.com
    Advertisements

SPELL CHECK
    Car Club
    Twizted Stylz

Nobody ever did this?

Addict Poster

homie, all I ever tried was drilling 2 very small holes in it and letting it
    evaporate out...
    GoinLow Customs

I AM A

I am eventuaLly going to take mine apart too. Haven't looked to much into it but I know the lense does come off because there is a couple people that did HID coversation on them. It looks to me you would have to pry the tabs up after you put it in the oven to get the lense off.

Here is a link for the HID conversation. So it will give you an idea of how to reseal it.

I AM A

Originally posted by goinlow@Jan 25 2010, 09:49 AM~16402820
    evaporate out...
    I'm not trying to be an asshole about it , but if the seal is leaking now why would you make more holes in the light to let in more moisture?

SPELL CHECK
    Car Club
    Twizted Stylz

Originally posted by goinlow+Jan 25 2010, 09:49 AM~16402820-->
    evaporate out...
    [/b]
    Yeah, that's kind of a half-assed way of doing it, and I noticed that these headlight assemblies have vents on the back, so they SHOULD have air passing through anyway. I just don't know where it's getting in.

<!--QuoteBegin-61 Impala on 3
    @Jan 25 2010, 11:00 AM~16403224
    I am eventuaLly going to take mine apart too. Haven't looked to much into it but I know the lense does come off because there is a couple people that did HID coversation on them. It looks to me you would have to pry the tabs up after you put it in the oven to get the lense off.

Here is a link for the HID conversation. So it will give you an idea of how to reseal it.
    Good looks bro. I'll check that out and see what I can learn. And if I do it, I'll post pics.

SPELL CHECK
    Car Club
    Twizted Stylz

Yeah, looks like that wasn't a TC headlight, just a generic how-to. The thing that's throwing me off is those tabs, and I sure as hell don't want to snap them off. Looks like I just gotta try it and see what happens.....

I AM A

Originally posted by Badass94Cad@Jan 25 2010, 01:27 PM~16404403
    Yeah, looks like that wasn't a TC headlight, just a generic how-to.¬* The thing that's throwing me off is those tabs, and I sure as hell don't want to snap them off. ¬* Looks like I just gotta try it and see what happens.....
    I was able to pry my tabs up and over a bit without breaking them. The hid can be done.
    Look

SPELL CHECK
    Car Club
    Twizted Stylz

Damn, $695?!? How much did it run you to do the job yourself?

I'd certainly consider doing the HID conversion if I'm going to pull them apart anyway. My lenses have a slight haze on them that I'm going to clean as well, but the night time lighting is dismal at best.

I AM A

Originally posted by Badass94Cad@Jan 26 2010, 08:37 AM~16414334
    Damn, $695?!? ¬* How much did it run you to do the job yourself?

I'd certainly consider doing the HID conversion if I'm going to pull them apart anyway.¬* My lenses have a slight haze on them that I'm going to clean as well, but the night time lighting is dismal at best.
    Yeah the price is way to expensive to buy out right. The most expensive part if you did it yourself would be the HID kit itself. There are a couple of headlight restoring kits out there to buff the yellow off the plastic.

i dont feel tardy
    Car Club
    Drop Mob

Originally posted by 61 Impala on 3@Jan 25 2010, 10:13 AM~16403315
    I'm not trying to be an asshole about it , but if the seal is leaking now why would you make more holes in the light to let in more moisture?
    you drill them in the bottom so the water isnt trapped and it evaporates easier

its common to see because the lights going to fill with water again when you reseal it anyway

aint no taming us, we get your brains and your veins and take em with us

SPELL CHECK
    Car Club
    Twizted Stylz

Originally posted by 61 Impala on 3+Jan 26 2010, 12:48 PM~16415887-->
    Yeah the price is way to expensive to buy out right. The most expensive part if you did it yourself would be the HID kit itself. There are a couple of headlight restoring kits out there to buff the yellow off the plastic.
    [/b]
    Yeah, I have a professional kit, but even wet sanding and polishing will work.

<!--QuoteBegin-REV. chuck
    @Jan 26 2010, 01:32 PM~16416252
    you drill them in the bottom¬* so the water isnt trapped¬* and it evaporates easier¬*
    its common to see because the lights going to fill with water again when you reseal it anyway
    That's a half-assed way to do it, but very common. The weird thing is that the headlight assemblies actually have vent tubes on the back, which should let the water evaporate and escape, but it never does. Not before more water enters, anyway.

i dont feel tardy
    Car Club
    Drop Mob

Originally posted by Badass94Cad@Jan 26 2010, 01:07 PM~16416631
    Yeah, I have a professional kit, but even wet sanding and polishing will work.
    That's a half-assed way to do it, but very common.¬* The weird thing is that the headlight assemblies actually have vent tubes on the back, which should let the water evaporate and escape, but it never does.¬* Not before more water enters, anyway.
    its condensation in the headlight and its going to continue to happen unless you give it some place to drain

i dunno about half ass it works

you know how your house windows get foggy inside the panes they do the same exact thing drill 2 small holes and blow compressed air with a cleaning chemical in it to unfog them they plug the top hole leave the bottom so it can drain
    aint no taming us, we get your brains and your veins and take em with us

Addict Poster

you know new headlights on ebay are about 100 bux or less
    "The good life, has no equivalent. It aint a fantasy no more because im livin' it." - Willie D

SPELL CHECK
    Car Club
    Twizted Stylz

Originally posted by lone star@Jan 28 2010, 06:29 PM~16443246
    you know new headlights on ebay are about 100 bux or less
    Yeah, but they're shitty repops, from what I've heard. Their fit and finish is questionable.

17. Remove Advertisements
    LayItLow.com
    Advertisements

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Thread Information