wrong gap size on spark plugs
Welcome to the LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums.
LayItLow.com is the premier Lowriders Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
    Baller Poster

what is the worst could happen
    I put in the wrong gap size on spark plugs and now my car wont stay on or is hard to start and when it does start gas come of the the carb so I need some big help.
    shit

2. Remove Advertisements
    LayItLow.com
    Advertisements

Enthusiast Poster

why don't you just re-gap them? I think you already know the worst that could happen

Baller Poster

the worst that could happen, is that you get clowned on the internet for not having a $.99 gapper, forget having a ride thats out of tune
    let me know if i am on here too much

Baller Poster

Originally posted by low_master@Jan 30 2005, 04:58 PM
    the worst that could happen, is that you get clowned on the internet for not having a $.99 gapper, forget having a ride thats out of tune
    [snapback]2660702[/snapback]

It wasnt that I didnt have a a gapper because I did it was the first time me giving a tune up and the new spark plugs gaps was all ready gap to much I didnt want to do nothing to the spark plugs to make stuff worst than it is so I dont know what you talking about gettion clowned
    shit

Enthusiast Poster

all you got to do is tap them on something metal or hard surface, and the gap will reset.

Baller Poster
    Car Club
    IMPALAS San Diego

what car are you working on? the gap might not be the problem, you may have reinstalled the spark plug wires on the wrong plugs, or maybe knocked off a vacuum line ?
    ~JUNIOR~IMPALAS CAR CLUB~San Diego Chapter~

'62 impala ss htp
    '62 impala rag

Baller Poster

Originally posted by bigjune62@Jan 30 2005, 06:02 PM
    what car are you working on? the gap might not be the problem, you may have reinstalled the spark plug wires on the wrong plugs, or maybe knocked off a vacuum line ?
    [snapback]2660929[/snapback]
    it is my regal with a 3.8 motor what do you mean reinstalled the spark plug wires on the wrong plugs

does the size of the wires have to do with it because I could have that worng
    shit

DON"T STOP NOW
    Car Club
    LO*LYSTICS CC

Originally posted by bigjune62@Jan 30 2005, 06:02 PM

I agree. Make sure your wires are in the right plugs. Most times plugs will be OK right out of the box.
    ~LO*LYSTICS NORTHERN CALIFAS~

Triple OG
    Car Club
    Concrete CC

sounds like timing is not right.
    Kick Ass Logos - Pro Logo & Graphics Design - No upfront Cost!
    Web Sites - Graphics - Software Programming

Addict Poster

Originally posted by sixse7en@Jan 30 2005, 04:53 PM
    all you got to do is tap them on something metal or hard surface, and the gap will reset.
    [snapback]2660893[/snapback]
    if u do this be gentle. u could bust them easy if ur not.
    dunno what he means by it will reset the gap. all it will do is make the gap smaller.
    i'd say gap them to spec and u shoul be just fine

as for worst thing that could happen. well what your experiencing is about it i believe. well iguess absolute worst would be it not running.

layta

Addict Poster
    Car Club
    Brown Society

Originally posted by bigjune62+Jan 30 2005, 04:02 PM-->
    [/b]
    <!--QuoteBegin-ogbrkboy
    @Jan 30 2005, 04:30 PM
    I agree.┬* Make sure your wires are in the right plugs.┬* Most times plugs will be OK right out of the box.
    [snapback]2661042[/snapback]
    This is a good answer. Most plugs are gapped good enough for all hei's which is what you have. I would check your firing order and also all vacuum lines.
    I think everyone that has a hopper should hit their own switch.
    Click here to see a few videos.

Addict Poster

A good rule of thumb to start is .035". Which pretty much is when you take a matchbook cover and fold it once. It should slide in the gap with alittle drag. That is the easiest to check. Then while your at it, check to make sure you didn't swap aound a few plug wires. It needs to fire certain plugs at a certain time. I have done it quite often.

As you say it ran fine before the plugs, so it has to be one of those things. Or you may have a bad plug/wire.
    -->leav'n frame marks across the streets of cali<--
    Inventor of the:
    "Air Shock System" & "Rock-Steady Rear End"

Business:
    ~~I do custom juice, air and hot rod creations. Restorations, interior, body, engine/EFI, frames, parts fabrication. Also, go carts, mini-bikes, trikes, and just anything you can imagine, I can make it for u. For estimates and or ideas email me with your info. (cmallmotorsports@yahoo.com) C-M-ALL Motorsports. Chris~~

Addict Poster

tyhe gap is not that big of a deal as some people think. you dont wanna have no space in between it though. one thing it could be is BOSCH plugs... they are NOT meant to be used in newer model gm vehicles. i work for a chevy service dept. and this situation arises all the time. when we tell the customer it was the plugs they just replaced they are usually shocked. but its true about bosch.
    As an American I am not so shocked that Obama was given the Nobel Peace Prize without any accomplishments to his name, but that America gave him the White House based on the same credentials." - - Newt Gingrich

Triple OG
    Car Club
    Concrete CC

Originally posted by nwa_fo_lyfe@Feb 2 2005, 01:33 AM
    tyhe gap is not that big of a deal as some people think. you dont wanna have no space in between it though. one thing it could be is BOSCH plugs... they are NOT meant to be used in newer model gm vehicles. i work for a chevy service dept. and this situation arises all the time. when we tell the customer it was the plugs they just replaced they are usually shocked. but its true about bosch.
    [snapback]2672577[/snapback]

how new?

i got a 96' and I have bosch plugs in it.
    Kick Ass Logos - Pro Logo & Graphics Design - No upfront Cost!
    Web Sites - Graphics - Software Programming

Addict Poster

once gm started using the 3100, 3400 and 3800 v6s. those are the worst to use bosch in. i forget what the first year of the 3100s were but its somewhere around 88 or 89. when i bought my 97 monte carlo it had brand new bosch plugs in it that the previous owner put in. the car always ran like crap. i changed them and found them to be platinum 4s. they were waisted and less than 4 months old.
    As an American I am not so shocked that Obama was given the Nobel Peace Prize without any accomplishments to his name, but that America gave him the White House based on the same credentials." - - Newt Gingrich

Addict Poster

I'll be honest, I find that hard to believe. I can see it maybe with the 4's, cause the spark kernel is not as open to the chamber like a single plug head. But that would be the case for any vehicle. I use the original Splitfire, and for the money $4-5 a plug they do work great. I also recommend the original Bosch Platinum. Not the +4 style.

Anyways we are off of the point here. The only thing I can suggest that will tell us what is wrong is to install the old plugs back in and see how it runs. If its better, then you need to re-gap the plugs and put them back in, or you have a bad batch and have to get a new set.
    -->leav'n frame marks across the streets of cali<--
    Inventor of the:
    "Air Shock System" & "Rock-Steady Rear End"

Business:
    ~~I do custom juice, air and hot rod creations. Restorations, interior, body, engine/EFI, frames, parts fabrication. Also, go carts, mini-bikes, trikes, and just anything you can imagine, I can make it for u. For estimates and or ideas email me with your info. (cmallmotorsports@yahoo.com) C-M-ALL Motorsports. Chris~~

18. Remove Advertisements
    LayItLow.com
    Advertisements

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Thread Information