HOW MUCH DOES AN ENGINE WITH CAMEL BACK HEADS GO 4
Welcome to the LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums.
LayItLow.com is the premier Lowriders Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
    Pescos and Rays
    Car Club
    GROUPE

HOW ABOUT JUST THE HEADS ALONE
    Okay here it is I have been try'en to find out the best combo to do my ride with. was gonna go crazy with a 454 but the guy flaked. now i found a 327 w/camel back heads but i dont know what its worth. im into accessories so you know im also digging vintage performance stuff. the guy is pulling it from the og vette it is in. what is it worth turn key? also what do the heads go for alone? HELP!!!
    “Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!”
    ― Hunter S. Thompson

2. Remove Advertisements
    LayItLow.com
    Advertisements

Enthusiast Poster

One of the biggest mis-understandings come from the external markings on the outside of the casting,which many people use for indentification.The most widly known is the "Double Hump","Camel Backs",and "Humper".This mark is found on many medium and high performance heads of the 1960'sMany times this mark has been mistakenly beleived to be the scarce "fuelie head" that was originally installed on the fuel injected Corvettes.Truth be told however,the Double Hump casting was used on three different heads,including the 275 hp 327 that was installed on thousands of passenger cars sold in North America from 1966-68.These were excellent engines,being Chevy of coures! But,they were not fuel injected nor were they considered high performance in their day.Castings were very offten used on more than one application,and they were fitted with both large and small valves depending on the application.This goes to show that the Double Hump head may have either large or small valves even after you have verified the casting numbers,depending on the performance level of the vehicle the engine was installed in. When shelling out your hard earned dollar for a set of "Humper"heads just bear in mind the info.
    Used to be Dire Straits but no validation email screwed that up!

Pescos and Rays
    Car Club
    GROUPE

MAN!!!! drop knowledge doggie!! hehehehe...... this is great ish. i printed it out and im gonna show this and other info i foud to the homies. I am still curios on prices for it though. I have to figure that all the hump heads are now rare hi-po or not huh? thanx greeneinc i didnt get what i was originally looking for but ill settle for lil bit of your knowledge any day.
    “Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!”
    ― Hunter S. Thompson

Addict Poster

old school heads
    LiL's resident Cranky Muffuga.

Addict Poster

Originally posted by greeneinc@Sep 22 2005, 04:04 PM~3866268
    One of the biggest mis-understandings come from the external markings on the outside of the casting,which many people use for indentification.The most widly known is the "Double Hump","Camel Backs",and "Humper".This mark is found on many medium and high performance heads of the 1960'sMany times this mark has been mistakenly beleived to be the scarce "fuelie head" that was originally installed on the fuel injected Corvettes.Truth be told however,the Double Hump casting was used on three different heads,including the 275 hp 327 that was installed on thousands of passenger cars sold in North America from 1966-68.These were excellent engines,being Chevy of coures! But,they were not fuel injected nor were they considered high performance in their day.Castings were very offten used on more than one application,and they were fitted with both large and small valves depending on the application.This goes to show that the Double Hump head may have either large or small valves even after you have verified the casting numbers,depending on the performance level of the vehicle the engine was installed in. When shelling out your hard earned dollar for a set of "Humper"heads just bear in mind the info.
    exactly correct! I love it when old schoolers throw out that "double hump" like its something special. Most didn't know they came in both large and normal valve sizes for the same casting.

Everyone knows the newer style stock cast vortec heads outflow them anyway or at least those that know.....know
    Uneasy lies the head that wears a crown

ogcaddy

Originally posted by Joe5pt0@Sep 22 2005, 10:58 PM~3868344
    exactly correct! I love it when old schoolers throw out that "double hump" like its something special. Most didn't know they came in both large and normal valve sizes for the same casting.

Everyone knows the newer style stock cast vortec heads outflow them anyway or at least those that know.....know

Yeah, thats funny as hell.

I got one of my engines in our show room, some brotha walked up to it and told his homie to come check it out this is what he said "yo man, you know dem damn heads is da bomb, you know what that means, you know what dat means, hey yo you knoooooow wut dat means" he kept pointing at the "saw teeth markings on the front of the head" he went on and on and on about it. then he told his homie "dems the old school heads, you dont know nuttin bout them"

i kinda interupted him and i looked at his homie and simply said "those are 96 and up vortec heads" then i looked at the guy and said "that motor was built in 2004, its a GM H.O. 350 crate motor with around 330hp.

OHH, but back to the subject, all I ever hear is camel hump this and camel hump that, man, fuck it, buy some polished out aluminum heads.

Enthusiast Poster

Sorry. Did the seller give you a price for the 327 with the heads?

Pescos and Rays
    Car Club
    GROUPE

Originally posted by Joe5pt0@Sep 22 2005, 08:58 PM~3868344

Im looking for something a lil diferent then the other 15 OR SO 1964 impalas next to me in my class though. every one runs 350s! I know very well that new style out performs the old shit but ..... thats not why im doing this. my first choice was a 454 but that fell through. I have a 400 i can build that into a monster and be a lil different but that motor comes with its own issues. c'mon an original 327 direct from the corvette it was born in! the story alone is sorta neat, i get to test drive the engine in the vette b4 i buy it! and because it was in a vette it should of had a lil heat unless the freak ordered it with smaller valves for some mystical reason. hehehehehe all i wanted was a price .

oh and greeneinc he is asking 500 for an almost turn key engine. hes taking the distributor due to the fact it has the og tach stuff on it. it would cost me 3000 to do the 400 as i would want it. 4000+ for a crate motor (HO DELUXE). as far as prices go this is it and it will be running in a week end.

the heads aint gonna win me no races but they do give a vintage era performance look im going for. when im tired of it ill slap it in an RPU and get the 400 built to take its place or a 454,383 you know where im going with this. YES with aluminum heads modern cam and crank etc. if i wanted to race id get a 64 nova but all this is just my opinion though.

now for the og question .... HOW MUCH $
    ― Hunter S. Thompson

Enthusiast Poster

$500 is not bad for a 327 that is coming to you minus the distributor and is from a Vette ( original). 327's can be very mean little chevy motors and I have seen quite a few do some damage to their bigger brothers. Go with the 327 and depending on the condition of the motor and mileage, get the heads ported and polished and have an intake port matched to the heads. If you can, find someone in your area that can tune a Rochester Quadra-Jet for you. Some may say get a Holley of a Barry Grant but tune a QJet right and you are in for a ride. I know because I have a 283 with a steel intake manifold port polished and tuned. Took me a while to get the original 64 4 barrel tuned right but i can hold my own.

Addict Poster

Originally posted by fidy2chevy@Sep 23 2005, 10:11 AM~3871032
    now for the og question .... HOW MUCH $
    Not sure if you took greeneinc or my comments as talking down on the heads, he was just letting you know that they weren't worth as much as some people try to make them out to be. Maybe $200 or so used not rebuilt for the large valves.

I"m not knocking them for regular use, my 67 has them and I'm keeping them for originality too, but I"m not going performance. When you said you were " was gonna go crazy with a 454 but the guy flaked." We assumed you meant for performance and thats why we responded the way we did.

I'd say $500 for a turn key 327 is a good deal any day.
    Uneasy lies the head that wears a crown

Pescos and Rays
    Car Club
    GROUPE

Originally posted by Joe5pt0@Sep 23 2005, 12:16 PM~3872042
    Not sure if you took greeneinc or my comments as talking down on the heads, he was just letting you know that they weren't worth as much as some people try to make them out to be. Maybe $200 or so used not rebuilt for the large valves.

I"m not knocking them for regular use, my 67 has them and I'm keeping them for originality too, but I"m not going performance. When you said you were " was gonna go crazy with a 454 but the guy flaked." We assumed you meant for performance and thats why we responded the way we did.

I'd say $500 for a turn key 327 is a good deal any day.
    HEHEHE yeah I know I know. I lost my head with the thought of a 454 but for 400 bux could you blame me? I am Honestly gratefull for your opinion so dont think im getting defensive im just try'en to explain my wacked out frame of mind. Anyways i did get most of my info from an "ol'timer" but then again thats sorta the atraction it has since im gonna go for the vintage lo-lo look with supremes, rabbit ears antenna and etc.

I went to go look at the engine yesterday .... Boy that 62 vette looked GREAT,
    the engine was nice too. the casting number was 3782870 on research its a good number. it was all stock from top to bottom. hes keeping the distributor but thats nothing (except for 1000 dollars if you bought one today per him). i got a stock four barrel air filter to sit on top all ready. ill redo the heads fix some seals and since the compresion test was good just slap it in.

I asked him why he was getting rid of an engine on a numbers matching vette. He was not at all worried about originality, he is into hot rods. he had a hell of a garage shop and two other hot rods in it a 31 and a 30 both fords. his change is my gain.
    ― Hunter S. Thompson

13. Remove Advertisements
    LayItLow.com
    Advertisements

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Thread Information