how to make a 305 in to a 327?
Welcome to the LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums.
LayItLow.com is the premier Lowriders Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
    Enthusiast Poster

anyone know how?
    just wondering cause i just blow up my old v6 in my regal and found a chevy 305 at a junk yard for 250$ and was thinking about making it in to a 327 chevy.

2. Remove Advertisements
    LayItLow.com
    Advertisements

Baller Poster

wow, to actually change displacement wouldn't you have to work with the main block?

could it even be done? wouldn't that affect the structure of the block?
    www.chagosdream.com
    Help make his dream come true

webmaster@chagosdream.com - email me to have something posted/removed/edited on the website, or to offer your suggestions

Addict Poster
    Car Club
    No Car Club Affiliation

Originally posted by Stealth@Jan 17 2004, 09:02 AM
    wow, to actually change displacement wouldn't you have to work with the main block?

could it even be done? wouldn't that affect the structure of the block?
    Well basically your 305 is the same as a 350 with a different bore size.
    Need Hydraulic Parts?
    Lona And Sons Hydraulics
    http://www.lona-sons.com
    816-474-4689

Addict Poster
    Car Club
    PRESTIGE CAR CLUB

JUNK THE 305 ...AND GET A 327...
    Transporting Cars,Trucks,Boats,Motorcycles and much more..
    Licensed and Insured

10 Car Peterbilt ,4 Car F-450 , 3 car F350 , 4 Car Silveraldo 3500 , Moving Cars Daily
    It is better to die on your feet than to live on your knees "Emiliano Zapata"
    "BUILDING MY EMPIRE ONE CAR AT A TIME"
    "Rather be Caught with one then with out"

Support Impalas Magazine
    SONS OF MEXICO CC
    CHAGOSDREAM.COM

Addict Poster
    Car Club
    No Car Club Affiliation

Originally posted by MRIMPALA2000510@Jan 17 2004, 09:14 AM
    JUNK THE 305 ...AND GET A 327...
    Why?
    Need Hydraulic Parts?
    Lona And Sons Hydraulics
    816-474-4689

Addict Poster
    Car Club
    PRESTIGE CAR CLUB

YOU THINK ALL IT IS IS BIGGER PISTONS....RIGHT.....NO......IF YOU MAKE A 305 IN TO A 327..YOUR GOING TO CUT THE WALLS OF THE BLOCK THINNER...WHICH MAKES CARS OVER HEAT MORE...ITS LIKE SAYING...305 WALLS ARE...MMMMMMM FOR EXAMPLE...5.MM STOCK..BUT TO MAKE IT INTO A 327 YOU NEED TO CUT IT DOWN TO 3.2MM...COMPARE TO A STOCK 327 THATS 5MM WALLS STOCK... FELL ME.....
    Transporting Cars,Trucks,Boats,Motorcycles and much more..
    Licensed and Insured

10 Car Peterbilt ,4 Car F-450 , 3 car F350 , 4 Car Silveraldo 3500 , Moving Cars Daily
    It is better to die on your feet than to live on your knees "Emiliano Zapata"
    "BUILDING MY EMPIRE ONE CAR AT A TIME"
    "Rather be Caught with one then with out"

Support Impalas Magazine
    SONS OF MEXICO CC
    CHAGOSDREAM.COM

Addict Poster
    Car Club
    O-HI-Ho

chevy 305...
    bore 3.767
    stroke 3.480

chevy 327
    bore 4.000
    stroke 3.250

Fuck U TalmBout Mayne?

Addict Poster

if u have a 305 block, its the same as a 350, put heads off a 350, a more aggressive camshaft, and get urself an intake from summit and throw some headers on there, along with an aggressive carb, u'll eat 327 all day long
    CRAAAAAAAAAAAZZZZZZZYYYYYYYYYY ANT

Baller Poster

Originally posted by downsouthplaya@Jan 17 2004, 03:40 PM
    if u have a 305 block, its the same as a 350, put heads off a 350, a more aggressive camshaft, and get urself an intake from summit and throw some headers on there, along with an aggressive carb, u'll eat 327 all day long
    may i say dumbass?? the only thing same from a 305 to 350 is the stroke

Last edited by corndawg at Jan 17 2004, 08:34 PM
    CHEVY POWER----THE REASON WHY YOUR MOTHER MADE YOU WEAR CLEAN UNDERWEAR!

ID RATHER HAVE A SISTER IN A WHORE HOUSE THAN A BROTHER IN A FORD!

FORDS ARE LIKE TAMPONS, EVERY PUSSY HAS ONE!!!

ITS CHEVY OR SHOES FOR ME! FUCK THE REST!

Ride it like you stole it!! And never look back, they are too far behind to see!!

Baller Poster

yeah dude... the 305, 368, 454, 500, are CUBIC INCHES... you can't change an engine block's cis by just replacing the camshaft or headers LOL... you have to bore it out, which would affect the engine block's design and structure
    www.chagosdream.com
    Help make his dream come true

webmaster@chagosdream.com - email me to have something posted/removed/edited on the website, or to offer your suggestions

Addict Poster
    Car Club
    No Car Club Affiliation

Originally posted by MRIMPALA2000510@Jan 17 2004, 09:22 AM
    YOU THINK ALL IT IS IS BIGGER PISTONS....RIGHT.....NO......IF YOU MAKE A 305 IN TO A 327..YOUR GOING TO CUT THE WALLS OF THE BLOCK THINNER...WHICH MAKES CARS OVER HEAT MORE...ITS LIKE SAYING...305 WALLS ARE...MMMMMMM FOR EXAMPLE...5.MM STOCK..BUT TO MAKE IT INTO A 327 YOU NEED TO CUT IT DOWN TO 3.2MM...COMPARE TO A STOCK 327 THATS 5MM WALLS STOCK... FELL ME.....
    Um...... Yes.........

All it is is bigger pistons, other than that its the same block. And yes you are right if you keep boring bigger and bigger then the motor will start to run hotter.

But what your not understanding is the walls on a 305 are thicker than those on a 350, because the 350 is bored bigger. Remember the blocks are the same
    Need Hydraulic Parts?
    Lona And Sons Hydraulics
    816-474-4689

Baller Poster

327 blocks have 4 inch stroke, so do 350's. you can make a 350 into a 327, with the crank from a lg journal 327 or a chev 307. you still need to get balancing work done though. why would you want a 327 in a regal? fuck regals came with 305s. 283s and 327s are 60s engines. they're only cool under the hood of a 60s car.

Addict Poster
    Car Club
    No Car Club Affiliation

Why dont you just rebuild the V6? If you do I got a Crane Cam and a Offenhauser intake.......
    Need Hydraulic Parts?
    Lona And Sons Hydraulics
    816-474-4689

Enthusiast Poster

fu ck the v6 i want more power something around 300-400hp it isnt just a lowrider im going to race the car to, with different rims and tires. im going to build up a 350, with a overhauled 350 or 400 turbo trans, 9'' ford rearend with 3.73 gears, 31 splins axles, and maybe a locker.

Enthusiast Poster

what do you think of this 350, bored .40 or .60 over from stock. with hydrulic cam 509/512 lift and hydro lifters, edl. performer 750cfm carb, edl. performer rpm intake, hyper pistons, headers, dual straight pipes. what do you think that would push out for hp, and tq? and maybe crain the heads later on.

Baller Poster

I GOT A SET OF BONE STOCK 327 CAMEL HUMP HEAS THAT ARE STILL ON THE OLD ENGINE FROM MY MONT THATI BUILT. THEY WOUL BE A GRET ADDITION TO YOUR ENGINEPROJECT. IN MY EYES,JUST GO THRU SUMMIT ANDGET A 327 KIT, OR TALK O A COMPANY CALLE POWERHOUSE IF YA JUST WANT A LOWRIDER THAT GETS UP ON TE ROAD. THTS HOW I HAD MY MONTE BUILT. ITS KINDA CHEAP, BUT IF YA AINT ON THE PEDAL CONSTANTLY IT LASTS. I RAN 14" SPOKES ON THA MONTE WITH A STOCK 267 BLOCK, NO BORE, WITH THESE HEADS AND SOME ROLLER ROCKERS AND A ELECTRIC FAN. PUT ARV/TOWING CAM IN TOO. FOR A 267 THAT BYTCH GOT UP, AND LASTED TOO. IT WAS SUCH A GOOD DPENDABLE MOTOR WITH GREAT GAS MILEAGE THAT I KEPT IT FOR MY NEXT LOLO PROJECT. BUT IF YA WANNA RAC IT I SAYSTART WITH THE 350 BLOCK ND JUSTGET THE 327 CRANK FROM SUMMIT. SHIT, I THINK NAPA CA GET THEM TO IF THERE IS ONE AROUND YOU. HIT ME UP IFYA INTERESTED IN THOSE CAMEL HUMPS. I'LL LET THEM GO FOR $300 FOR A LIL MEMBER.
    Owner of No Bullchit Customs in La Marque,Tx
    Lookin for old 30's and 40's ford parts.

Addict Poster

Originally posted by ALOW1+Jan 18 2004, 03:44 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (ALOW1 @ Jan 18 2004, 03:44 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteBegin--MRIMPALA2000510@Jan 17 2004, 09:22 AM
    YOU THINK ALL IT IS IS BIGGER PISTONS....RIGHT.....NO......IF YOU MAKE A 305 IN TO A 327..YOUR GOING TO CUT THE WALLS OF THE BLOCK THINNER...WHICH MAKES CARS OVER HEAT MORE...ITS LIKE SAYING...305 WALLS ARE...MMMMMMM FOR EXAMPLE...5.MM STOCK..BUT TO MAKE IT INTO A 327 YOU NEED TO CUT IT DOWN TO 3.2MM...COMPARE TO A STOCK 327 THATS 5MM WALLS STOCK... FELL ME..... *
    Um...... Yes.........

All it is is bigger pistons, other than that its the same block. And yes you are right if you keep boring bigger and bigger then the motor will start to run hotter.

But what your not understanding is the walls on a 305 are thicker than those on a 350, because the 350 is bored bigger. Remember the blocks are the same [/b][/quote]
    Ya know, you would think that...but its not true.

From the outside, yes the blocks are the same. But a 305 and 350 block internally are not. the placements for the water jackets are in different locations...mainly they are closer on 305s then 350s so u can't do the extra boring to get the displacement out of it. The stroke is the same though, at 3.48inches. But that wont' let u bore it to a 350.

My books on rebuilding chevys specifically mention to have 305 blocks sonic checked before boring them out ANY SIZE because they have very thin cylinder walls.

And u cant make a 305 block into a 327 because the 327 has the 4" bore. (and u cant bore a 305 0.23 over....you can do 0.023 over but t 0.23 is NOT 20 over )

You can make a 350 block into a 327 by using the smaller stroked 327 crank......
    Uneasy lies the head that wears a crown

19. Remove Advertisements
    LayItLow.com
    Advertisements

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Thread Information