Step by step base/clear coat
Welcome to the LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums.
LayItLow.com is the premier Lowriders Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    Baller Poster

to get an idea, or share an idea
    Lets say you have a typical ride with a stock paint job, that is aight, but it does show it’s age with a bit of sun fade, rock chips, and a couple dings here and there............

So your wanting a new paint job, here are the steps that will get you there, to help those who want to know, and those who already know, but do it deferent, can add there comments.....All ideas are welcome...

We don’t want to go to crazy, just something relatively easy, but can still get attention, like a base/clear bright pearl orange..

1...Start removing anything that can be removed that will not get painted, like the bumpers, emblems, chrome trim, lights, and stuff like that.

2...Wash your car.. Use a grease fighting dish soap like dawn

3... Block sand your whole car with 220 wet sand paper. Block sanding will not only keep your surface smooth and level, but will also provide tooth for the primer to come, and show you were the low spots are “dings”

4...After block sanding and finding your dings cuz they will be the only spots left shiny, use a marker or chalk and mark them by drawing a circle at least an inch around them.

5...Get a drill and attach one of those plastic grinding discs, and grind those spots down to metal. you can use a da sander too

6...Clean off the area, it’s important that it is free of dust and oil

5...Proper your filler and apply it to the area, then wait for it to cure.

6...After curing, block sand the body filler with 80 grit dry sand paper until it’s level with the rest of the body.

7...Clean off the area again, and check for pinholes in the filler. Also clean off the area were you have rock chips

8...Use a 2 part glazing potty to fill any pin holes in your body work, and the rock chips.

9...level out the glazing putty by lightly block sanding it with 220 wet sand paper.

10.. wash your car again

11..Roll your ride into your paint booth (or garage, shop, plastic enclosed carport or anywhere else you plan to paint it in)

12.. start masking off your windows, and anything ells you don’t want to paint that you couldn’t remove.

13..jack up the car and remove the wheels, and leave it on jack stands

14.. wipe down the whole car with a tack cloth to remove any dust

15..wipe down your car again with wax and grease cleaner, and let dry

16..as the cleaner is drying, start mixing up your high build primer, cuz we have some bodywork on the car it is always a good idea to cover it up in high build primer.
    17..spray a spot pass over you body work first before spraying 2 to 3 coats of high build primer over the whole car, waiting 10 to 15 minutes between coats for it to flash.

18..After spraying your last coat, make sure you clean out your gun before doing anything else.

19..carefully remove all the masking on the car, and let it sit overnight.

20..roll out your ride and begin block sanding with 400 wet until it’s nice and smooth

21.. Open up your doors and remove any weather stripping, and plastic moldings, as well as your door panels, and anything ells in the doorjambs that you don‘t want to paint.

22.. wash your car again, and roll it back in the booth and mask

23. wipe down the car with a tack cloth followed by cleaning it with wax and grease cleaner.

24. Mix up your base, and spray at least 4 coats of your base, waiting 10 to 15 minutes for it to flash between coats.

25..Clean out your gun and mix up your clear

26..spray one tack coat of clear followed by 2 to 3 wet coats of clear. You won’t be able to tell when it flashes, so it’s a good idea to wait between 15 to 20 minutes between coats, or do the touch test.

THE TOUCH TEST....find a spot in the paint that will not bee seen when the car is finished, about 15 minutes after spraying your clear, touch this spot with your finger, if it feels sticky or tacky then your ready for the next coat, but if it stringy and some if it clings to your finger as you lift it, then you still need to wait.

27.. Clean out your gun

28..wait at least an hour before removing the masking, then let it sit over night

29. The next day, open up the doors and begin masking out the door jams. Mask off the whole car as well as anything that may get overspray.

30. Scuff up any over-spray that might have got on the jams threw the cracking in the door.

31..clean the jams with a damp cloth, followed by wiping them with a tack cloth then clean with wax and grease cleaner

32.. Mix up your base, and spray at least 4 coats of your base, waiting 10 to 15 minutes for it to flash between coats.

33..Clean out your gun and mix up your clear

34..spray one tack coat of clear followed by only 1 wet

35.. Clean out your gun

36..wait at least an hour before removing the masking, then let it sit over night

37.. the next day roll out your ride and let it “bake” in the sun for at least a day

38..Now your ready to cut and buff, start by block sanding all the orange peel, and any debris or bugs that may have gotten in your clear off with 1000 grit wet sand paper
    39. Now lightly block sand again with 1500, followed by 2000 if desired

40. Wash the car, and towel dry

41 Start machine buffing with a medium cutting compound and a heavy whole pad

42 Now switch to a fin cutting compound and a fine whole pad or foam pad

43 buff again with swirl mark remover or machine polish with a fine whole pad or foam pad

43 wash the car, and towel dry

44 hand polish DO NOT WAX, APPLY A PURE POLISH ONLY

45 Put your car back together, and you are ready for a cruse

Now i'm sure i left some details out, but it's to give you a good idea of what it takes, and to give others a chance to share there ideas as well
    My new LIL User ID Mi Estilo CC
    New Mi Estilo CC Represenative
    www.cardomain.com/id/myfamiliacc

2. Remove Advertisements
    LayItLow.com
    Advertisements

Addict Poster
    Car Club
    BakBumpaCrackaz

-- That is damn good info there Familia........ Now, if there was step by step pics to go with that .. I think it would have to be pinned down ...........

Maybe when I do my car this winter & wheni can figure out how to post these pics again...... i will try to bring one up in my avatar & then repost it up
    #1 UndeRated from Tha Woodz if you know what i mean / Mo weight in my trunk than a Triple Beam ... Aimed right at night for them quota means / Vita Blend crystal cut for the Phetamines... Scratchin on they skin yeah skinny as fuck / Pushin weight like a Gate In my Big Black Truck................

From the Cut & Grind - To the Paint & Polish .... Im still a Rookie in this Game - But Im far from Novice............"

Face Puncher
    Car Club
    OURLIFE CC

great post! someone should pin this.

Unloaded guns kill people, so I keep all of mine loaded all the time.

Aspiring Poster

Addict Poster

GREAT POST!!!

only way i differ, is i do jams first,,,,,its a LOT easier to mask off the jams from overspray from painting the car,,,than to mask off the whole CAR from overspray of the jams

and for "the touch test",,,i never touch anything on the car (visible or not),,,i touch a masked off area,,that has been painted (like a door handle or something)
    T.C.o.B. all day, everyday

"Dont argue with a fool, because from a distance its hard to tell who is who"

"If u feel the need to defend any comment u make, with the phrase 'No Homo'... u just said some gay sh*t"

Originally posted by BRAVO@Sep 16 2004, 10:11 AM
    GREAT POST!!!

only way i differ, is i do jams first,,,,,its a LOT easier to mask off the jams from overspray from painting the car,,,than to mask off the whole CAR from overspray of the jams

and for "the touch test",,,i never touch anything on the car (visible or not),,,i touch a masked off area,,that has been painted (like a door handle or something)
    [snapback]2221749[/snapback]
    Fucking rockin topic....... Did I say "Rockin"....

Anyways, I agree with this dude, we always spray the jambs first then move on!!
    DIPPINIT - "People will not like what they can't afford to have, or can't build. That's why they say they are all street, because you can take any car throw rims, and bunch of striping, and your done. then you are keeping it real and OG"

Bodybuilding, Nutrition, Facts, and More Information

Baller Poster

Originally posted by 1 LO 64@Sep 16 2004, 01:08 PM
    Fucking rockin topic....... Did I say "Rockin"....

Anyways, I agree with this dude, we always spray the jambs first then move on!!
    [snapback]2222125[/snapback]

lol.......

Ya I do get that alot, but thats how I'v allways done it, remember I'm all self tought and doing the jams last is how I'v been doing it for years. It does work for me.

Though on my next car, I'm going to do the jams first and see how that goes. If I find it easer then of course I'll change my rutien

Keep the Great tips comming in

Addict Poster
    Car Club
    i do this for me,no one else

hey myfamilia, what do you use to block sand your jobs with? you use a hard block or a soft block that flexes?
    friends dont let friends drive g-bodys

http://www.layitlow.com/forums/index...owtopic=162717
    great deals on motocross parts
    http://www.privateerconnection.com/index.htm

Baller Poster

It's those black hard rubber "flex" blocks

Ya I know there not perfectly flat, but then again neather are most car pannels

Addict Poster
    Car Club
    i do this for me,no one else

cool thanx man ive painted a bunch of cars and never block sanded them. gonna repain mine soon and gonna block sand it this time so it dont look wavy
    friends dont let friends drive g-bodys

http://www.layitlow.com/forums/index...owtopic=162717
    great deals on motocross parts
    http://www.privateerconnection.com/index.htm

Baller Poster
    Car Club
    ridaz c. c.

great instructions , the only thing to add would be to blow the car down to remove dust from inside the cracks. wax and grease remover BEFORE you tack the ride . also wet down the floor as that keeps the dust down when youre spraying
    Es mejor para t que te calmes, porque si te encuentro no ta la vas a acabar maricn te voy a meter la chinga de tu vida...
    its better for you to calm down,cause if i find you youre not going to finish it fag,im gonna give you the ass kicking of your life
    ---USED PARTS FOR SALE ....PM WITH YOUR NEEDS-------
    HOUSE OF KOLOR THE BEST SINCE1956
    FUCK IMPORTS BUY AMERICAN SAVE SOME FUCKIN JOBS
    *M*I*S*S*O*U*R*I* KANSAS CITY 12TH BLOCC!
    JESUS SAVES SINNERS-FOR POINTS AND VALUABLE PRIZES

Enthusiast Poster

im glad this post is up.. i'd printed this baby out....
    one question, if you paint in a plastic wrapped carport for example, i'd heard if you dont have ventilation you get bad overspray, how does one control this - i have a big big shop fan but i think that would just blow crap all around..

Baller Poster

Originally posted by 816customshop@Sep 16 2004, 09:37 PM
    great instructions , the only thing to add would be to blow the car down to remove dust from inside the cracks. wax and grease remover* BEFORE you tack the ride . also wet down the floor as that keeps the dust down when youre spraying
    [snapback]2223469[/snapback]
    Hmmm....... Now I'v always used the wax/grease cleaner after the tack cloth, figuring that the tack cloth could leav some unwanted residue behind, in wich the cleaner will remove.........any more input on this would be great

blowing off the cracks is a great tip, as well as wetting down the flore

Baller Poster

Originally posted by nv300ex@Sep 16 2004, 10:34 PM
    im glad this post is up.. i'd printed this baby out....
    one question, if you paint in a plastic wrapped carport for example, i'd heard if you dont have ventilation you get bad overspray, how does one control this - i have a big big shop fan but i think that would just blow crap* all around..
    [snapback]2223524[/snapback]

Any big fan will work fine, but you have to use it as an exhust fan. With the fan facing out, blowing air from in side your both to the outside.

Enthusiast Poster

ok i got it... thanks man..

Baller Poster
    Car Club
    ridaz c. c.

wiping with wax remover first removes the larger dirt so when you tack theres not as much clogging the rag up the sticky on the rag will not transfer as long as you dont press hard
    Es mejor para t que te calmes, porque si te encuentro no ta la vas a acabar maricn te voy a meter la chinga de tu vida...
    its better for you to calm down,cause if i find you youre not going to finish it fag,im gonna give you the ass kicking of your life
    ---USED PARTS FOR SALE ....PM WITH YOUR NEEDS-------
    HOUSE OF KOLOR THE BEST SINCE1956
    FUCK IMPORTS BUY AMERICAN SAVE SOME FUCKIN JOBS
    *M*I*S*S*O*U*R*I* KANSAS CITY 12TH BLOCC!
    JESUS SAVES SINNERS-FOR POINTS AND VALUABLE PRIZES

Baller Poster

Originally posted by MyFamiliaCC@Sep 17 2004, 03:08 PM
    Hmmm....... Now I'v always used the wax/grease cleaner after the tack cloth, figuring that the tack cloth could leav some unwanted residue behind, in wich the cleaner will remove.........any more input on this would be great

[snapback]2223601[/snapback]
    after the prewash then tack cloth useing the blue cloths - leaves no residue and picks up any lint or dust left behind
    I've never wet the floor for humidity(moisture) reasons just wash it down/vaccuum etc.. n' let it dry ..

Baller Poster

OO and with your body work spray a 50/50 thinned mix with your highbuild first a quik coat then ya full spot coat .. stops any chance of bridging the sand marks and shrinkin lata on ..

Addict Poster
    Car Club
    Solo Rida

good topic. You see what happend to my poor car in the avatar when i tried . at least i have an idea of the basic process now, thanks.

Addict Poster

Originally posted by MyFamiliaCC@Sep 17 2004, 07:08 AM

[snapback]2223601[/snapback]

i blow off the car the while wipping it down (wipping breaks up the dust, while the hose blows it off),,,i then tack rag the car,,,then degreese,,,(and when degreesing, one rag in one hand to wipe on wet,,another rag in the other hand to wipe dry
    T.C.o.B. all day, everyday

"Dont argue with a fool, because from a distance its hard to tell who is who"

"If u feel the need to defend any comment u make, with the phrase 'No Homo'... u just said some gay sh*t"

22. Remove Advertisements
    LayItLow.com
    Advertisements

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Thread Information