Clear Coat over Sharpie Marker
Welcome to the LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums.
LayItLow.com is the premier Lowriders Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
    Baller Poster

Default Clear Coat over Sharpie Marker

In efforts to be different Ive decided to paint my Cadi white, black out the bumpers, all the trim, interior and wheels. I like graphics on the roofs of lowriders but I want to be a different from the crowd. I searched around and found an artist who does Sharpie marker art on cars. His pricing is good because he does it more for the art than for money. The major concern that I have if I go this route is preserving the art. I sent him an email and asked if the sharpie marker can have clear applied over it. He hasnt got back to me yet. I made an appt to have him come out in February of next year to tag up the roof of my car and wheels with the possibility of doing the rear diff, upper/lower control arms which depend on whether or not it can be cleared. Ive seen signatures sign with sharpies on guitars and motorcycles cleared over but dont know how a large piece is going to respond. If it cant be cleared without running then Im gonna wrap the roof of the car in crystal clear vinyl wrap...IDK any input would be appreciated.

1e59acf1404638720030fc1fc5533322.jpgfamous_sharpie_lamborghini_gallardo_9-800-600.jpgsharpie lambo.jpgsharpie-artwork.jpgSharpie-Pin-Stripe-Camaro-Chris-682x1024.jpgskgi_913510_28088.jpg
    Last edited by tmack6; 11-06-2011 at 01:39 PM.
    Mackabee's Mobile Rim Repair
    Mobile Curb Damage Repair specializing in curb damage repairs on OEM wheels. Guaranteed to pass lease return inspection.
    http://www.facebook.com/pages/Mackab...14040005285122

2. Remove Advertisements
    LayItLow.com
    Advertisements

Addict Poster

I have no idea but i don't whay it couldn't be cleared over. I would be more concerned with how the ink will hold up in sunlight and what, if any, UV properties it has. Looks bad ass.
    "Too Many Dreamers, Not enough Builders"

My Feedback Topic

Against the Grain
    Car Club
    Central Canada USO

yes it can be cleared over. but sharpies have no lightfast. the artwork will turn blue, then eventually fade away completely from sunlight. for an outdoor stored car id be surprised if it lasted a year.

unless he plans on using something else other than a "sharpie". i have heard there are other more uv resistant markers.
    my stripes page. http://www.pinheadlounge.com/Dekay

lac build. http://www.layitlow.com/forums/29-pr...90d-coupe.html
    the "re-build" starts on page 13.

Addict Poster

theres a topic wit all the info you need call sharpie marker murals just type it in the search... and yes it can be done former L.O.T.Y ROLLIN MALO has it
    2R.O%20(529)[1].jpg
    "THE WORLD IS YOURS"
    84 REGAL "RADICAL" YEAH THAT ONE
    64 SS- "STILL D.R.E" coming soon or "DETOX" AS LONG AS THIS SHIT TAKING LOL

Baller Poster

He did tell me he uses the industrial strength sharpie which I believe is oil based and lasts a bit longer. Im leaning more towards vinyl wrapping because of the UV issue. Ive read a few articles and lot of folks are saying the best thing to do is have the car painted/clear, have him tag it up, and then apply the vinyl wrap on top of it. I use to install vinyl wraps years ago and certain brands have UV protective laminate integrated in the material. Im cool with doing that but I'd really like to get a few pieces under the car done too. Im guessing the only way to find out how the marker will hold up is to do a test piece and see if the marker will bleed or run.
    Mobile Curb Damage Repair specializing in curb damage repairs on OEM wheels. Guaranteed to pass lease return inspection.

Baller Poster

Quote Originally Posted by TONY MONTANA View Post
    theres a topic wit all the info you need call sharpie marker murals just type it in the search... and yes it can be done former L.O.T.Y ROLLIN MALO has it
    Attachment 388969
    Thanks

Baller Poster

my homie did sharpie for detail on a mural. he cleared it with sg-100 that wasnt too wet to seal it, then you clearcoat it.
    My Topic
    http://www.layitlow.com/forums/index...owtopic=579613

Art by Project Matt

Trunks to Hoods, Jambs to Firewalls
    Who's ready to get some artwork?
    Cell: 559-731-6718

Check out my
    Car Club
    LOS FINOS C.C.

The clear is suppose to have Uv protection. I would put 2 light dust coats to prevent running the marker, let them flash ten minutes each then clear 2-3 wet coats over that, Don't use cheap shit clear either.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by tmack6 View Post
    In efforts to be different Ive decided to paint my Cadi white, black out the bumpers, all the trim, interior and wheels. I like graphics on the roofs of lowriders but I want to be a different from the crowd. I searched around and found an artist who does Sharpie marker art on cars. His pricing is good because he does it more for the art than for money. The major concern that I have if I go this route is preserving the art. I sent him an email and asked if the sharpie marker can have clear applied over it. He hasnt got back to me yet. I made an appt to have him come out in February of next year to tag up the roof of my car and wheels with the possibility of doing the rear diff, upper/lower control arms which depend on whether or not it can be cleared. Ive seen signatures sign with sharpies on guitars and motorcycles cleared over but dont know how a large piece is going to respond. If it cant be cleared without running then Im gonna wrap the roof of the car in crystal clear vinyl wrap...IDK any input would be appreciated.

Attachment 388912Attachment 388913Attachment 388914Attachment 388915Attachment 388916Attachment 388917
    If he's got talent like that,I'm sure he could use an airbrush or striping brush with very little effort.

PIMPIN'AINT DEAD
    Car Club
    Hoez Puttin'$ in MY Pocket

Quote Originally Posted by lowdeville View Post
    If he's got talent like that,I'm sure he could use an airbrush or striping brush with very little effort.
    actually airbrushing and drawing are not the same,he has talent but knows how to express it through a sharpie rather than shooting it...

hes a local down here and that lambo has been like that now for more than 3 years,the owner drives it daily and parks it over night in front of his tatoo shop for advertising...the man is sick he is now getting into doing skateboards, shoes, clothes just about anything will soon sport that artwork
    MIAMI AUTOWERKZ---CUSTOM MADE BILLET INTERIOR PARTS FOR CAPRICE/IMPALA 71-76
    I ONLY CARRY SHOW CHROMED BILLET ACCESSORIES-.-NO MORE POLISHING-.-
    WHOLESALE HID kits and LEDS..LIFETIME WARRANTY..NO FLICKER NO RELAYS GUARANTEED
    87 LUXURY SPORT---mhp candy,24''forgiato,elegance interior,big brakes,lsx stroker w/spray ...
    71 VERT---triple black all OG FOR SALE

The Great White Hype
    Car Club
    STYLISTICS INC

looks nice
    Soon to be riding with the top off so Im closer to God!!

If you looking for High Quality Engraving or Gold Plating click here for Ricardo Navarro...... http://www.layitlow.com/forums/member.php/1360-snl47
    INNER & OUTER DEW SWEEPS FOR SALE..... FITS ALL GM Cars
    Bad Ass rotisseries, body carts, and other resto tools. click here

13. Remove Advertisements
    LayItLow.com
    Advertisements

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Thread Information