LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner

intercoat clear

12K views 37 replies 11 participants last post by  E$TE*LADO*CUSTOM$ 
#1 ·
What brands do peopel use I ve always used dbc 500 but its soo expesive do any body us a cheaper one? Post brands please

#9 ·
Sg100 all day.

A few months ago I thought I was smart and tried to save a few dollars by using Matrix intercoat since it was only $20 a quart. Gtfo, that shit gave me nothing but problems. I'm sure it works great for normal use, but for what I was using it for, multi-layer patterns, it sucked. It peeled on me constantly when I taped over it. And no I didn't fuck up my prep, I do all my artwork over 320 scratches.

SG100 is like $100 a gallon online, that's all I fucks with now.

#18 ·
there is no comparison to SG100 house of kolor. I go through at least a gallon a month and it holds up great. I'm sure the other brands work good , but for the quality, SG100 is a bargain and I pay $125 a gallon. We do candy graphics, airbrushing, color matching, pearl graphics, and flake. I don't recommend using it for more than 5 coats. It will split and crack over that, but so will anything else that isn't catalyzed.

#19 ·
I REALLY SUGGEST ALL OFF U TO TRY USING BASE COAT WITH NO TONER, ASK UR PAINT SHOPS N THEY'LL MIX U UP A BATCH MAKE SURE ITS NOT CATALYZED(OMNI,PPG,SHOPLINE,OMNI-PLUS, DONT USE DIAMONT,NASON, OR ANYTHING THAT REQUIRES U TO USE ANYTHING ELSE TO REDUCE IT BUT REDUCER. U CAN SHOOT AS MANY COATS N IT WON'T CRACK.THINK ABOUT IT, ITS LIKE USING PAINTS THAT ARE TRANSPARENT CAUSE OFF COLOR IT WILL TAKE A SHIT LOAD OF PAINT TO GET IT TO COVER RIGHT. IF U HAVE ANY PROBLEMS LET ME KNOW, TRY IT ON A FENDER OR SOMETHING. RAN INTO AN OLD PAINTER THAT WORKED IN PAINT SHOP N I HIT HIM UP AND ASKED HOW COME HE DIDN'T TELL ME ABOUT THIS SHIT, HE WAS HOLDING OUT CAUSE HE WAS WORKING MORE IN OXNARD N DIDNT WANT TO TELL ANY BODY IN SANTA BARBARA, THEN I ASKED MY HOMIE THAT WORKS WITH HIM N HE TOLD ME HE DIDNT EVEN KNOW ABOUT THAT N THAT THE OTHER FOOL NEVER TOLD HIM SO NOW I JUST GO BY AND THEY MIX WHAT EVER AMOUNT. THE SHIT I HAVE TO DO TO GET THE SECRECTS!!!!!!!!!:puffin:

#21 ·
I REALLY SUGGEST ALL OFF U TO TRY USING BASE COAT WITH NO TONER, ASK UR PAINT SHOPS N THEY'LL MIX U UP A BATCH MAKE SURE ITS NOT CATALYZED(OMNI,PPG,SHOPLINE,OMNI-PLUS, DONT USE DIAMONT,NASON, OR ANYTHING THAT REQUIRES U TO USE ANYTHING ELSE TO REDUCE IT BUT REDUCER. U CAN SHOOT AS MANY COATS N IT WON'T CRACK.THINK ABOUT IT, ITS LIKE USING PAINTS THAT ARE TRANSPARENT CAUSE OFF COLOR IT WILL TAKE A SHIT LOAD OF PAINT TO GET IT TO COVER RIGHT. IF U HAVE ANY PROBLEMS LET ME KNOW, TRY IT ON A FENDER OR SOMETHING.
explain this to me, i dont see why the mil thickness wouldnt increase the same as the HOK stuff. even putting too much basecoat(with color) isnt good right?

#22 ·
to tell u the truth i have not once had a problem with to much base, some times the certain colors take up more paint and u end up shooting alot of paint, for example when i started painting there was omni and that shit was transparent specially copper, browns, some silvers, and so on, in santa barbara we can't get shit in the paint shop, no more dvc 500, and no house of color inter clear, we have to order on line. mil thickness will always be there no matter what u shoot but this shit wont crack thats my point and someone else wanted to know what their options were, cause who wants to wait for stuff to come in the mail when u can just get it on the spot wait to make money or make it on the spot:puffin::thumbsup: i hate wainting for stuff specially if i needed it yesterday u know what i mean!

#27 ·
Had some of there representatives come over to the shop to do a little class two weeks ago and they left some stuff to try and it's actually not bad. I'd only use it if I used all of thier products ex. Matrix epoxy,primer,sealer, base etc as they have a lifetime gaurentee if you used all matrix even the degreaser. I even shot a test panel I cut out of a hood which I just DA'd really quick with some 220, deltron ncs sealer, deltron base, matrix intercoat with 2 coats pearl and 2 flake, and their matrix quick clear. Came out fine now we'll see how long it'll last as I have it sitting outside in the weather.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.