Airline near exhaust manifold - help
Welcome to the LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums.
LayItLow.com is the premier Lowriders Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread

Default Airline near exhaust manifold - help

What to do about being too close to manifold.
    Hello,

I joined here a long time ago and the project I was asking about did not work out, but now I'm in the middle of a project (1959 Buick) and I find myself needing some guidance. My air lines in the engine compartment will get quite close to my exhaust manifolds. I don't want my plastic airlines to melt so I've been trying to fit some copper lines to get me out of the engine compartment. Problem is I've been having trouble getting a good seal and I just don't trust them in the long run for fear of cracking or the flange loosening up with vibration or heating/cooling cycles. Does anyone have suggestions on how I should handle this? Steal lines? (didn't want to use steel for fear of rust) Hydrolic lines? Are there any that could take the heat? Any other ideas?

2. Remove Advertisements
    LayItLow.com
    Advertisements

Baller Poster

Ok, assuming you are trying to use dot plastic line? Not good idea to have anywhere near heat, or have a tow rig handy. I've run copper lines on my impala since day 1. You can also do stainless lines. How are you trying to connect the lines? I used ptc for my copper. Just got to make sure it's cut straight. Can you post pics of where your trying to run your lines? Hydro hoses would work as well but not by heat. Got to be some way of routing lInes away from heat source. Need to see pics thiugh
    Slow and low is a way of life.

Baller Poster
    Car Club
    Loser

you can also cover the line in a heat (fire resistant) sleeve to protect it, or wrap the manifold, or run the line inside the frame.
    www.AirAssisted.Com

sales@airassisted.com

We stock all air suspension parts. Call Or Email for a Quote!
    Ship Same Day - Tracking Number Same Day
    Toll Free Tech Support 1-866-FUK-NLOW

These pictures are terrible but now that I'm looking at them I might be able to use regular plastic line and build a small heat shield near the exhaust manifold. That may work with the hydrolics hose as well.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Baller Poster

Are you using flared fittings? Hard to tell with the pics. I had trouble with flares. I went to compression fittings and ptc, ptc are the easiest to use. Just make sure you cut it with a tube cutter nice and straight without squeezing the line to much. Then ream it out and get shavings out. Your ride is bad ass. Where you live? Didn't list on profile. Are you running 3/8 or 1/2" lines?

Thanks for the compliment on the car! I hope to be driving her again by spring. I had flaired line in there but yesterday I tore it out and just went with hydrolic hose. Will tie into the 3/8 plastic line under the car. Making some heat shields for the exhaust manifolds. Oh, I'm in Eau Claire WI.

Baller Poster

Damn. That sucks to tear it all out. I wanted to do that a few times during my install. I'm going to switch it to braided stainless all the way. Already have the lines. Just need to tear it all apart and run them.

image.jpg

Here's what it looks like now. I feel a lot better about this than that copper I had.
    And I gave up on the heat shields and went with this heat protection loom stuff.

Baller Poster

Should work just fine.

11. Remove Advertisements
    LayItLow.com
    Advertisements

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Thread Information