Tanks going empty - Page 2
Welcome to the LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums.
LayItLow.com is the premier Lowriders Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Baller Poster

You definitely have more than one leak. To simplify things you need to break it into groups or systems. Ill try to clarify. From the compressor check valve to the fill valves is one system meaning its all at the same pressure (this includes the traps, gauge, pressure switch etc.) From each fill valves to the bag is also one system at the same pressure. Does that make sense? Now leak test one group at a time and ignore the rest. I would suggest starting at the tanks and get that squared away bc it could be causing your rear to be dropping. This is why.

I see you have check valves between the tanks and I am guessing the fill valves. That is usually used for 2 reasons. Some valves require higher pressure on the inlet side for the valve to stay closed. When the tank leaks the the bags back fill the tank till they're both empty. In cars where cylinders or small bags are used, the pressure in the bag would build up as the suspension was compressed and the same thing would happen. The rear check valve is either leaking externally and bleeding out the air or just isn't sealing. The reason I say that is bc the front should be exactly the same and its not leaking overnight. You could have leaks on both rear bag systems, but since you say you went over everything ill assume you didn't miss anything. Are you using push to connect fittings? You could swap the lines from the check valves to the front and rear systems and see if that moves the leak. That would isolate the check valve or rear system leak.

If you want to check the rear bags. Spray the entire bag down as well as the end caps, crimps and fittings. I have had bags leak at the crimps as well as the mounting bolts.

The water traps are going to be harder to check for leaks but I try to put check valves between the tank and traps. When plumbing them like you have any leaks at the trap will drain the system. I only use the SMC all metal and had customers forget to fully tighten the drain. You have a lot going on there. DONT ASSUME anything isnt leaking just bc it is new. Check the gauge, pressure switch and check valves methodically and you will find the leak.

Sorry for the long post.
    IG: @thegreek96

2. Remove Advertisements
    LayItLow.com
    Advertisements

Baller Poster
    Car Club
    Royal Image, WA

Don't mind the long post man, thank you for taking the time really. I understand some things but others just confuse me.

Ok so I checked everything hooked up to the tanks. All the fittings, the gauge, the pressure switch, both traps and both check valves. I only found one leak on the trap fitting. I took care of that one and now nothing seems to be leaking when I spray. I haven't checked the compressors by taking off the filters and putting balloons on them.

As far as the valves go. I have 4 at front and 4 in the rear. How do you know which ones are the fill vs. the dump ones? All 4 of them are hooked up to eachother. I'm also open to suggestions on how to connect everything on my set up. If there's anything that I can do differently please share. Thanks.

Baller Poster

You'll have to take some pictures of what you have and we can give recommendations based on what we see.

Baller Poster
    Car Club
    Royal Image, WA

My problem is obviously on the fitting to that goes to the rear bag. As seen in my picture, it's leaking from the swivel fitting. No matter how I turn it or push it down it leaks. I can get it to stop leaking fast but it still leaks slowly regardless. It's the fitting bad? This is the second one I put on.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Baller Poster

Is the bag off the car? Try a different type of fitting without swivel if it is. It's a process of elimination.
    Slow and low is a way of life.

Baller Poster

Glad to see you pinpointed some more leaks.

It is hard tell from the picture if it is leaking from the actual swivel part or from the tapered part of the fitting where it meets the bag. If its from the swivel, then the fitting needs to be replaced. Its sealed with an internal oring that cant be replaced. If its from the tapered pipe thread you will just have to keep taking it apart and resealing with either teflon tape or some type of liquid sealant. Loctite and threadlocker make some good ones.

Did you purchase all these parts yourself? Do you know what type of fittings they are? It looks like them may be ALKON which are DOT approved high quality fittings. Its rare for that to happen with them, but it could be an imitation.

Baller Poster
    Car Club
    Royal Image, WA

I'm not sure what type of fittings they are. They all came with the kit I bought from someone. I think I'm going to replace them with the screw on type rather than these push ons. There's a truck shop for semis that I usually get the fittings. I did put some liquid stuff on the fitting, closes to the bag to see if it helps.

Baller Poster

Push connect fittings are awesome just need to make sure your cuts are straight and square and seated properly. Are You Running Dot Plastic Line?
    Slow and low is a way of life.

Baller Poster
    Car Club
    Royal Image, WA

Yes my lines are dot plastic and I have a perfect cutter for them but no matter how I cut them someone they come out a bit at an angle.

Baller Poster

Just like any product, there are high quality and low quality PTC fittings. Some are DOT and some arent. I try to only use the DOT approved ones, and in most cases they have a tube inside that keeps the tube straight over its sealing surface and prevents leaks. Look into those. DOT compression fittings are fine, but most ppl just crank the shit out of them and hope they don't leak. You still have to check them to make sure they aren't leaking at the compression and that takes even longer IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Royal50 View Post
    I'm not sure what type of fittings they are. They all came with the kit I bought from someone. I think I'm going to replace them with the screw on type rather than these push ons. There's a truck shop for semis that I usually get the fittings. I did put some liquid stuff on the fitting, closes to the bag to see if it helps.

12. Remove Advertisements
    LayItLow.com
    Advertisements

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Thread Information