Newb needs an education on air suspension components - 1971 Continental 4 door sedan
Welcome to the LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums.
LayItLow.com is the premier Lowriders Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Newb needs an education on air suspension components - 1971 Continental 4 door sedan

Default Newb needs an education on air suspension components - 1971 Continental 4 door sedan

Picked up a cherry 1971 Continental, all original with 45,000 miles.
    Previous owner installed air ride system. When I bought it he had removed the front air bags, as he couldn't figure out the alignment.
    Currently just the rear is on air bags.

I ran the ViAir 444C's last night and the driver side comp was running way hotter than the passenger side unit. From an empty tank to 95psi took 3 attempts, as I didn't want to overheat the driver side compressor.

Over 12 hours the rear bags have stayed inflated, the tank pressure has dropped 8psi.
    There's a slow leak from the tank (image of bubble posted)

I don't see a safety valve on the tank - should I install one?

While both compressors are running, there is air flow exiting the intake/filter ports.

From what I can gather, I should replace both check valves....is this true?

Also...why would one compressor be running way hotter than the other? could this be related to a damaged check valve?

Final question...for now The leaking port on the tank, can I go ahead and try to tighten it while pressurized, or how should I go about emptying the tank 82psi with no relief valve.

Cheers!!

Ciaran

2. Remove Advertisements
    LayItLow.com
    Advertisements

Baller Poster

I would try and snug up that fitting just a touch. You can air up the rear with the comps off to drain air from tank. Should have a petcock on the bottom of the tank to drain water out of it anyhow. Just a suggestion. The check valve may be causing it with backflow of air pressure.
    Slow and low is a way of life.

"While both compressors are running, there is air flow exiting the intake/filter ports."

Let me rephrase that....
    Driver side compressor (while running gets really hot) and air is being sucked into the intake.
    Passenger side (while running is much cooler) and no air is being sucked into the intake.

Baller Poster

If no air is being drawn in, then odds are it's not compressing the air. It may need a rebuild. Check the check valve on the pass comp. Might be bad and air is getting thru and it's working against itself. If that makes sense? That's why driver side is hotter, it's the only one doing what it's supposed to do.

Cheers Jahlg, I'll pull it apart today & check it out.

Went for a short spin last night, bags were fully inflated. After driving 2 miles, I turned on the compressors & was able to refill the bags some. Rear end lifted about an inch.
    What could be going on there?

Opened up the passenger side compressor, don't look too good. Rubber has completely deteriorated, and cylinder wall is deformed.

Not sure if I wanna rebuild or purchase 2 new 444C's.Viair 444c 1.jpgviair 444c 2.jpg

I might just remove the system completely & run the stock springs & shocks.

Baller Poster

Not sure what the cost of rebuild is, as opposed to replacement. And what's the fun of running stock parts? It's a bad ass ride, I say get your comps in order, swap out them front springs for bags and have some fun!

I ordered two rebuild kits for the comps. Piston, head & cylinder $85 each.
    Two new leader lines with check valves & a safety valve $55.00.

Baller Poster

Sweet. Now just need front cups and bags!

Thanks for your help Jahlg.
    Tell me, 6th image from the left...is that a pressure switch mounted on top of the tank?
    How does that operate, how can I tell if it's working correctly?

PS: I do have the front cups & bags, along with the complete original suspension components for the rear, and also the stock wheels/tires & hub caps.

Baller Poster

Your pressure switch is set to come on and shut off at certain psi. It interrupts the grounds from your comps usually. Mine is 165/200. Do your comps start and stop normally? Is there a gauge on your tank? It should take roughly 4-5 minutes to fill tank from 0. Once it reaches set limit as dictated by pressure switch the comps should shut off. If it wasn't working correctly, odds are they won't come on.

Ps- car looks bad ass. I definitely would not go back to stock

Seems like the pressure switch ain't operating correctly.
    It's probably not wired up correctly. Engine has to be running for these comps to operate.
    While the engine's running, I have to manually switch on the compressors.

There is a gauge on the driver side of the tank.

Baller Poster

You definitely want the engine running anyhow for the comps to work. They will suck your battery dry in minutes. Ok, so your comps should be hooked to some type of relay with a switch to turn them on. I run a stinger 80 amp in the trunk wired to a switch to cycle the relay power. Also have my switches running off a second switch. Your pressure switch only interrupts the grounds of the compressor. You say you have to manually turn on the compressors? Is there a switch? More pics may help.

Baller Poster

Car looks great. Just get it sorted out and enjoy it.
    IG: @thegreek96

Here's a video previous owner did - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o-znURLkgPw

Baller Poster

That ride is gangsta for sure. I would definitely rebag the front. That car deserves it. Stock sucks. Lol. Video don't help with diagnosing issues though.

Baller Poster

Quote Originally Posted by nyccustomizer View Post
    Car looks great. Just get it sorted out and enjoy it.

Baller Poster

I never really liked that body style, but seeing yours changed my mind. From the video it doesn't look like it has shocks on it. Am I wrong?

I would definitely recommend adding or replacing them. I don't get why he couldn't get the alignment worked out with the front bags in there, so have someone with experience check everything over to be sure things are correct.

Quote Originally Posted by L8RSK8R View Post
    Here's a video previous owner did - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o-znURLkgPw
    IG: @thegreek96

22. Remove Advertisements
    LayItLow.com
    Advertisements

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Thread Information