new to air ride couple questions, nitrogen
Welcome to the LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums.
LayItLow.com is the premier Lowriders Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Addict Poster

Default new to air ride couple questions, nitrogen

so I just got a new car and it has air ride with a nitrogen tank no compressors. how long dose the nitrogen tank last when you raise and lower your car every time you drive? what psi should I refill the tank? what psi is the tank full? when you park your air ride car should you lower it to take pressure off the system or it dosnt matter? if you hit the switch up a little to long could you pop a bag or line or anything?

2. Remove Advertisements
    LayItLow.com
    Advertisements

Addict Poster

is anybody in this forum? lol...... maybe I better not ask air ride questions on a lowrider site

Aspiring Poster

Never had nitrogen but I'll give my opinions. Hard to say how long it'll last but if it has a gauge I wouldn't go below 120 psi or so. It's something you'll learn as you go since every car is different. It's ok to leave car up when parked. Depending on how the regulator is set if you hold the switch the front or rear of car will hop of the ground. Could blow a line or bag depending on what is used. I'd add a compressor to the system and air tank(I would think it would have a tank to run the valves off of, never seen a nitrogen setup)if it doesn't have one for back up.

Baller Poster

Site is pretty dead. You definitely should habe a gauge on the nitrogen tank. As well as a regulator, probably should have gauge on that too to know the pressure your running. Back up system of comp and tank is great idea. Don't want to run out of nitrogen and be stranded. I may be wrong, but I. Eleove nitrogen tanks last a few weeks, depending on how much you hit switch.
    Slow and low is a way of life.

Addict Poster

thanks guys, I don't know what psi was in the tank when I got it but I was playing with the switches a lot and now the psi is pretty low like 200 and the car moves up slower so im going to refil the tank. ill post some pics of the setup when I have a chance, if I can figure out how to add a tank and compressor that would be good for regular driving and nitrogen for showing off

Baller Poster

Sounds good. As far as adding seperate air systems, I'm not sure how to add it in to the existing system. Not sure if you can just feed the nitrogen tank into some sort of manifold that the valves run off of. Further investigation is needed.

Addict Poster

this Is what I got going on In the trunk. Im not sure If there Is a check valve built Into these valves. 2 valves per wheel. I guess each works like a dump and solenoid? red hose is from tank, black goes to each wheel. still figuring it out
    Attached Images Attached Images

Addict Poster

seems like there is 4 "blocks" (blue) 2 "valves" per block, one to let air in the bag one to let air out. correct me on what im calling them and if im wrong. I know hydraulics and impalas this air ride is new to me. im wondering if there is a check valve in there so if I lose pressure on one bag will they all lose pressure?

Baller Poster

If they are individually plumbed, each wheel has a seperate line running from the fill valve to the bag,correct? If that is the case, then no you shouldn't lose the others if you drop pressure in one. On a typical system, the check valve is on the leader hose coming off the compressor to the tank. It's not that difficult to understand air. Same basics as juice, fill valve and dump valve. One of each for each bag, if running an 8 valve system.

Addict Poster

ya each wheel seems to be separate. thanks for all the help. got the tank filled its 3000 psi so I will see how long that last. im planning to add a tank and compressor so I don't get stuck laying frame and no air. I found a small leak im going to fix but I must have a bigger leak somewhere else because the front sinks down in about a hour so that's what im working on first.

Baller Poster

Spray bottle with dish soap and water. Spray on the fittings, will bubble up where it leaks.

Addict Poster

I found 2 big leaks on the brass valves I hear white Teflon is no good what should I use the yellow gas Teflon or locktight? how do I get the black plastic air hoses off and back on?

Baller Poster

If they are ptc fittings, or push to connect, there should be a small collar where the line enters the fitting. That gets pressed forward which frees up the line and then you slide the line out. Must keep it pressed forward while pulling it out of fitting. Teflon tape can get into the air system and f things up, loctite 545, I believe I remember correctly is the preferred pipe sealant. When reinstalling your lines. Need to make sure the cuts are as perfect as can be for the fittings to grab and seal properly.

Weren't you asking in another forum about insuring the ride as well?

Addict Poster

yes im still waiting for the classic car insurance to accept my policy right now im just insured with regular acuity insurance. im going to try the Loctite and see how it gose

Baller Poster

Hagerty? They have insured my last two classics. Was pleased with my claim, just watch your agreed value, the adjuster informed me that it is also the max amount they will out towards fixing your car. Mine got scratched on the rear qtr and knocked a few pieces of trim off and was 3800$ to fix. Most was labor, for trim removal and replacement. Just don't want to get into a bender and be hosed. I'm upping the value this year.

Addict Poster

hagerty was telling me 750 yr I got a policy from American modern for 300yr and it has low deductible, covers glass and all the extras towing ect. agreed value of 25000 that automatically gose up 2% a quarter... couldn't find that kind of Loctite locally so I used the yellow Teflon tape for gas rated at 300psi and fixed the 2 leaks then found2 more leaks to fix tomorrow. that black air hose comes out easy I was going to unscrew the fitting til you said that so thanks again. my leaks are on the tank side of the valve so I suspect a leak up front with it sinking down... hopefully not the bag itself

Addict Poster

but if the worst thing I can find wrong with a 64 impala 50+ years old is some air ride leaks im happy with that

Baller Poster

For sure. What motor? I had a terrible time getting the 327 running decent in mine. Have doNE a disc brake swap, carb swap, intake, electronic poi ts conversion, bellflower exhaust, air ride, to name a few fhings!

Addict Poster

its got a 283, runs good starts right up. my 64 before this one had a 327 and my first one had a 283 also. this is my 3rd 64 everytime I sell one I miss it and end up buying another one the next year.

Addict Poster

the yellow Teflon tape worked good im not losing any tank pressure and no bubbles, made sure not to go close to the end of the brass fitting so none will get Into the system. I just need to find the leaks between the valve and bag. is it more likely to be the hose, bag, or fitting on the bag? I think I need to remove the bag to get to the fittings on it

22. Remove Advertisements
    LayItLow.com
    Advertisements

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Thread Information