LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner

62 Lincoln Continental project

101K views 529 replies 94 participants last post by  southGAcustoms 
#1 ·
At a request from another member Im going to start a thread on my buildup of My 1962 Lincoln Contintal.

Im a die hard Lincoln fan, having owned numerous Towncars and older Continentals, my dream car always being a Continental from the 60s with the suicide doors. Unfortunatly most of these cars have either rusted away or are so nice there price is way out my reach, so I negated myself to being happy building TownCars and other easily obtainble lincolns.. Well ive been driving the same rought as a insurance adjuster for 3 years and almost every other week I pasted by a old deisel shop that this lincoln was sitting out in plain veiw, well I never stoped becouse I was worried about them saying "yea its for sale....$5000" or something like that.. finaly curiosity killed me, and I had to find out. So i whipped into the shop and started asking around finaly got to a guy and asked about the lincoln, he said yea? whatcha want to know? I said is it for sale? he goes can be... then with a lump in my throught I asked how much? he said man... give me $300 and get that peice of shit out of here! :0

At that point I almost started crying! and couldnt get 300 dollars out of my wallet fast enougth! I practically threw the money at him as I ran out back to check out my prized possesion (that I never looked at up close untill then!)

these first pics are when I just bought it and was looking at it

man I was pumped!!!! :biggrin:

See less See more
#430 ·
Ok I got the front tore down now

I finished up some welding on it and cleaned everything up and POR15 the front inner strucker real good

I also remocked some close out sight sheilds I just got to order some sheet metal to make all those panels.

Im going to put the front end all back together friday or early next week and finish up the fenders so I can weld them on and hopefully get the front nearly all worked out in the next two weeks :D

#435 ·
just a few minor updates
screwing off....trying an idea off the HAMB...

not bad!!

the paint is holding up for the most part as my car is now daily driven again.... its cracked but still holding ok.... so for a time being idea it works out ok. KRYLON fusion paint one can will do all four tires ( I grinded and buffed a tire prior) I only did one as a test.

got back on the sheetmetal work and finished up the lowered rocker on the left side

also put a piece on my right sectioned fender

threw on some black primer and put my lake pipe back on, registered and new insurance and hopped back on the road

hows this? 70mph+ 25mpg+ and 60 deg ac kickin on the interstate.... hows your project going? :twisted: :smt006

#436 ·
soo this is how the story goes....me and my GF were going to a 311 concert in Tampa Fl july 23... awesome!!! planned on taking her car (Nissan maxima) now I did say we could take the the big linc but agreed we would roll the maxi.....she shows up late july 23... and says "we're taking the lincoln :shock: " I was like ok, but I didn't even get it ready for a trip... never the less I was confident in my build so far that it could make it. So we ripped out of the drive on the way to tampa :twisted:

rolling down the interstate ;-)

made it there no problems running 75-85 the whole time :twisted:
CoNCERT WAS EPIC AWESOME!!

rolling around hustlin 8)

next day went out to Clearwater beach :D
it drew a crowd everywhere it parked never a thumbs down and lots of questions :smt028

then back onto the long drive home
nearly 700 miles later in just two days through rough weather and roads she made it back without any problems :smt023

#437 ·
glad to see this one kicking! i was 311 in boston once and it was bitchin

#438 ·
oh its always going to be kickin, going to its first show at the end of the month! slamfest 2013! hopefully to hang out with a few more suicides. Had to change alittle direction as I had to get my truck back on the road but I can concentrate on this unit mostly this winter and finaly finish sheetmetal and body work.

#439 ·

photo shoot my freind was doing she wanted my car in it, so I reflatted her and put on the peak moulding (first time on car since I picked it up) these are just some tease pics when I get finished pics ill post some more :D :smt006

#440 ·
nice man, i like the towncar wheels on it!

#443 ·
we'll meet up, my homie just got a 63 wagon and ive been watching stuff around tampa and weve been finding alot parts down there so im sure ill make a trip or two down shortly, I used to live on davis rd in between fowler and fletcure.

#446 ·
I work in between Fowler and 56 on 75. I was just on Davis the other day. Yeah if you need something over here let me know. I can take a look at something for u and pick up. I gotcha

#451 ·
now I need to start finishing up the sheetmetal work so I can finaly FINALY do the finish body work to it and maybe just MAYBE paint it before next summer..lol yea right... im pretty sure I said that the last three years... but at least im still driving it!!

#454 ·
thanks homie!!

got the exhaust up and in!! it still dosnt have the mufflers on yet but its complete and man its not at loud as I expected in fact at interstate speeds its got a wicked sweet growl going. Cant wait to get the muffs on it (2 chamber 40 series flowmasters) and hear it then!
Made the the midepipe fully removable wich made the whole build cleaner and easier, once I get the muffs on and run it a bit ill take it all off and coat the exhaust so it will last longer

all the pipes out and welded up

midpipe in the car

hard to see rear... put slight turn downs on it that barely peek out from under the bumper right now if I had some bellflower tips I may have gone and put them on :D

im pretty happy with the outcome so far
oh complimentary lift shot

:smt006

#455 ·
took her out to an indoor toys for tots christmass car show... had ALOT of questions... hell most people didnt even know what kind of car it was... let alone whats been done to it. Guy in a 63 T-bird showed up wich made some cool pics :D

and one of her and my truck hanging out continplating shinanigans :twisted:

#456 ·
im a looser.... only pic I took while welding on the passenger fender....durrr....

in any case the passenger fender is fully welded now, I also cut the patch for the right rear quarter and did some other things then the fuel pump finaly quit so shes chilling at a freinds house untill my new pump comes in hopefully today or tomorow.... then its jack it WAY up and remove the tank....grrrr :evil: :smt011

#457 ·
got the fuel pump in wich much fuss!

damn thing finaly went out on me luckily I was at the top of the off ramp of the interstate and nearly coasted all the way to my freinds house where it waited untill it came in.

started right back up...but... apparently this fuel pump works so well or the old was so bad that the pressure is up and while it runs better I think my fuel filter is now clogged up...grrrr...at least its right on the frame and $12 lol... Now I got to put on a new intake, since mine is cracked and has been well since I got the car. Its only ever weeped alittle but now its finaly starting to look like it may bust at any time...no biggie a easy and quick replace. ALso fixed my exhaust wich was not hanging even on the back...uggg!!

#458 ·
I got some of my material and and started doing the body work to the car finaly... I want some color on this unit this year!!
started with the front right side, did a bunch of grinding and hammer/dolly work prior to wiping it with a skim coat of long strand filler

I got that knocked down and then coated it with some high grade filler....dont worry its all skim coats...ill put it in primer tomorow.

it allready makes me feel better knowing that im constantly making progress.... I also did some work on the front just above the grill since its always been beat to crap... got it smoothed out as well, im going for june for paint possibly!

#461 ·
ok finally had the chance to post again...

here is the right fender in primer after rough body work.... it turned out pretty good so far

oh and got my two chambers in!!! whoot!!!

just waiting on my exhaust gaskets and ill hook these babies up next week!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.