LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner

Minidreams NEW SCHOOL OF MODELING !

63K views 611 replies 148 participants last post by  jevries 
#1 ·
OK LETS START OFF BY SAYING ! " I AM TAKING ON THE TASK OF LETTING THE SECERTS OUT ! IF YOUR WILLING TO LEARN AND TRY THEN IT IS WORTH IT FOR ME TO STEP AWAY FROM THE DESK TO HELP YOU ALL STEP IT A LEVEL IN THE HOBBY !"

OK ! THE FRIST LESSON WE WILL TAKE ON WILL START AT THE BOTTOM OF YOUR BUILDS ! AND WE WILL THEN WORK UP TO THE TOP !

PLEASE NO BULLSHIT IN HERE ! ITS EASIER FOR OTHERS TO FOLLOW AND LEARN IF THERE IS NO BULLSHIT IN THE WAY ! SO SHUT UP AND FELLOW !
If you have a statement or question about anything i will be MORE then happy to explain ! That's why i start with the supply list !
AGAIN LET THIS BE FOR ME TO POST UP MY HOW - TO'S SO I MAY HELP OTHERS !
IF THIS GETS TO BECOME ANOTHER SPOT TO FLAME OTHERS OR TO POST UP BULLSHIT I WILL HAVE THE MODS CLOSE IT AND I WILL NOT TRY TO HELP OUT EVER AGAIN !

1 RULE OF THUMB HERE IS THAT YOU NEED THE RIGHT TOOLS FOR THE JOB EVERY TIME YOU BUILD ! </span></span>

I hope you guys are ready cause this time its coming from the heart ! I see to many youngsters talking shit , and to many adults telling other how to build but don't build themselves ! Lets get this hobby and the builders in it to a new level with each kit they build !

Roughly $110.00 to get the best supplies needed on hand to bring your builds to an out standing clean level ! And keep in mind ! I BELIVE YOU SHOULD BE WELL STOCKED AT ALL TIMES ! I buy the most i can for my money and thats how i priced these supplies !

Any Question?

<span style=\'color:purple\'>Next class we will be opening a kit and preping it to be ready to build ! ;)

See less See more
#27 ·
my exacto knife blade looks worst than your "not good example" blade,,,,,,,,,,,,,,i cutt my self often by mistake,,,,people at my school thought i was emo lol,,,i told them i build model cars but they dont understand the cutting doors to making hinges part :biggrin:

#29 ·
Originally posted by Minidreams Inc.@Apr 15 2008, 11:43 PM~10427578
Quick  question  to  you guys ?
What  is  common  kit  that  most  people  will  have  on  hand  that  we  all  can  grab  ,  open up and  build  together  as  it  would  be  easier  to  help  others  if  when  i  got  to  point  they  were  having touble    i  could  do  a  HOW TO    for  that    curtain item !  Or  just    any  kit    will  work  and  you  guys  can  learn    from  it  what  i  am  tring  to pull off !
how about not the car but the frame and style that the car is made , like X frame and chassie off (the lowrider 64 kit) or a one peace chassie ?
but teach on i gata go out and buy that glue for the glass :thumbsup: that is a good tip im putn to use .

#30 ·
Originally posted by sponserdsk8ter@Apr 16 2008, 06:04 PM~10431927
my exacto knife blade looks worst than your "not good example" blade,,,,,,,,,,,,,,i cutt my self often by mistake,,,,people at my school thought i was emo lol,,,i told them i build model cars but they dont understand the cutting doors to making hinges part :biggrin:

Keep the blades changed and you will have a much easier time opening up your kit and less wounds ! ;)

#32 ·
SHARPIES R A GREAT TOOL. I USE THE CHISEL TIP ONES 4 THE BLACK TRIM AROUND THE GLASS.

#34 ·
I went shopping today. I spent $19.87

and here is what I got.

i still need some stuff, plus i got a few extras.

- caliper - to measure shit.
-small strainer, to make flocking easier.

G
#35 ·
Originally posted by mademan@Apr 16 2008, 06:36 PM~10433197

and here is what I got.

You got a lot for just $19.87, good shopping, that would have cost me about $40.00

#36 ·
Originally posted by modelsinc1967@Apr 16 2008, 06:44 PM~10433273
You got a lot for just $19.87, good shopping, that would have cost me about $40.00
I hit up the dollar stores homie!

the only things more than 1.00 each, were the sharpies, and the testors thinner.

the meat trays, i got fom the meat shop I work at for .05 cents each. any grocery store will sell em to you.

#38 ·
nice tips im deff gonna go get a few things thanks for taking ur time to help make our building process better and the outcome even better

#39 ·
Originally posted by mademan@Apr 16 2008, 06:46 PM~10433283
I hit up the dollar stores homie!

the only things more than 1.00 each, were the sharpies, and the testors thinner.

the meat trays, i got fom the meat shop I work at for .05 cents each. any grocery store will sell em to you.

Dollarama yo!!!

im gona have to go and spend $20 there myself so i can get in on this :biggrin:

#40 ·
MIKE ! You got them Exacto knife for a buck each ? They are them pull down and the click tight ?

#41 ·
damnit mini, i think you looked at my table, i got everything you said within an arms reach...and if i dont i have a 5 drawer cabinet next to the table, including extra car bodies, hoods, windows, wheels, accessories for engines..etc..

great when minds think alike... :biggrin:

#43 ·
Originally posted by Minidreams Inc.@Apr 16 2008, 07:05 PM~10433477
MIKE !    You  got  them    Exacto  knife  for  a  buck  each  ?  They  are  them  pull  down  and  the  click  tight ?

these ones, the butt end unscrews and then the blade comes off. they are pretty sweet. plus they come with a 5 pk of blades.

#44 ·
Originally posted by betoscustoms@Apr 16 2008, 07:46 PM~10433993
SMILEY, YOUR PACKAGE GOT LOST IN THE MAIL!!!!!!!!!! NOW THAT'S FUNNY :angry:

I think mine did too. :( :( The 4 door I pre ordered and wheels.

GREAT TOPIC MINI!!!! Never thought about the orange sharpies for turn signals. Thats great. Now I can actually add turn signals. :biggrin:

#46 ·
Originally posted by mademan@Apr 16 2008, 08:36 PM~10433197

and here is what I got.

good score!!! I can tell you one thing....I got a set of digital calipers one time when I was building my drag civic. Its one of the best tools I own. When it comes to making identical sized parts they come in reeaaal handy.

#48 ·
Originally posted by betoscustoms@Apr 17 2008, 12:35 PM~10438274
YOURS WILL BE ON IT'S WAY ONCE I GET YOUR ADDY. SOME GOODIES TOO.
You remember me yet brother? :(

#49 ·
Yo, I just wanted to add that another good tool to have is a miter box. It is a plastic, or metal box that is used to make 90, and 45 degree angle cuts.

Also, I like to thin my bottle paints a little bit. Testors paint is on the thick side for my taste, so I thin it out to help me prevent brush strokes.

Hope that helps some.

#50 ·
Originally posted by fatherdevine@Apr 17 2008, 08:04 PM~10441365
Also, I like to thin my bottle paints a little bit.  Testors paint is on the thick side for my taste, so I thin it out to help me prevent brush strokes.
when its thivck though it helps hide inperfections on lil thing you made or whatever lol

#51 ·
Fellas PLEASE UNDER STAND !

The tool i posted up is for starters ! Learn to work with these to best of your ability and then grab more ! There are 1000 of tools offered for hobby ! But so many are used wrong or for the wrong reasons !

I don't mind memebers offering tips but lets not just toss item out at random ! Some people are confuessed as to which should be the most important tools to have on hand frist !

As i take these classes further we can bring up new tools , and i want to show everyone how to up date their paint supply by builds instead of heading to the store and not knowing what they needed !

So please follow along instead of just bringing up random items ! I promise you all i will touch base on everything i have done with in my 28yrs of modeling !

And after we do are BASIC CLEAN BOX BUILT KIT PROJECT we will have a Q&A brake Down and a WANTED TO KNOW HOW-TO Sections also !

Please at this stage were are just preaching the BASIC OF A CLEAN BUILD !

Thank you MINI!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.