LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner

MODEL RAIL ROADING

24K views 430 replies 80 participants last post by  Bogyoke 
#1 ·
well a wile back i got into model rail roading,i'm currently workin on a 8ft by 4 ft long layout, i started it back in january and hadn't touched it since probaly march.

heres what i got so far

a shee of ply wood with soem foam boards as my surface,the mountain i made my self along with the walls,using foam,news paper and soem paper mache type shit,i have soem box cars my track is finally layed down, just got to get a locomotive and power supply then i can start wiring it.
before i go the next step with the landscape buildings etc.

i plan on having a small town,gas station,whore house,a junk yard with old chevies,maybe a carnival with a car show and a small lake with a camp ground and soem tents and fishing.keep in mind the small town will look like something outta the 60's with a bar,bumbs on the street,hookers and maye a stripped car in the alley or side street ,should look good.

i have all the landscape,plants,trees,roads etc,
once i get wired i can go to the next step.

hopefully when i'm done it will look like one of teh fallowing.

it just takes a wile to complete

See less See more
#53 ·
:biggrin: VERY NICE BRO!! HAVE FUN WITH IT!!! POST UP MORE PICS WHEN YOU CAN ;)

#56 ·
Originally posted by Road Warrior@Jul 15 2008, 06:07 PM~11093691
Study pics of the real thing. Take note of how the rust streaks form. The door tracks of box cars are always rusty from the door sliding open and closed. The underframes and brake rigging are always nasty.
  This is a car I did several years back. I started out with and undecorated model and added seperate details before painting it with an air brush. I added a drop of white to the mix to make it look faded. After decaling I went over the logo with a light red and blue to make it look faded.
what do u use to get the rust look?

is their a product i can buy at the train store?

#57 ·
i tried brown latex paint and a sponge. you might have to thin the paint down a little, maybe practice on a car you dont care about. i have way too many cars to do them all, but, nothing beats the realistic shit! skim tagged a real box car and they made a model of it!

#58 ·
Originally posted by HARDLUCK88@Jul 15 2008, 08:19 PM~11094801
i tried brown latex paint and a sponge. you might have to thin the paint down a little, maybe practice on a car you dont care about. i have way too many cars to do them all, but, nothing beats the realistic shit! skim tagged a real box car and they made a model of it!
yeah i got a box car,i plan on practicing on its a 2 dollar bachman car.

i'll try brown with a sponge and if i have to i can airbrush a lil white to get that weathered look,i'll give it a try

thanks for your help

#59 ·
make sure the sponge you get has pointy corners! and a ruff scrubber side!

#61 ·
Originally posted by crenshaw magraw@Jul 13 2008, 02:16 PM~11077914
well a wile back i got into model rail roading,i'm currently workin on a 8ft by 4 ft long layout, i started it back in january and hadn't touched it since probaly march.

heres what i got so far

a shee  of ply wood with soem foam boards as my surface,the mountain i made my self along with the walls,using foam,news paper and soem paper mache type shit,i have soem box cars my track is finally layed down, just got to get a locomotive and power supply then i can start wiring it.
before i go the next step with the landscape buildings etc.

i plan on having a small town,gas station,whore house,a junk yard with old chevies,maybe a carnival with a car show and a small lake with a camp ground and soem tents and fishing.keep in mind the small town will look like something outta the 60's with a bar,bumbs on the street,hookers and maye a stripped car in the alley or side street ,should look good.

i have all the landscape,plants,trees,roads etc,
once i get wired i can go to the next step.

hopefully when i'm done it will look like one of teh fallowing.

it just takes a wile to complete

my suegro probably has like 1 million dollors work of rail road shit and im not exaturating.. he even has one of those steam engine trains like the ones in griffith park u ride on that he is looking for someone to put together for him

#65 ·
Originally posted by Skim@Jul 16 2008, 08:20 AM~11101110

that's cool

#66 ·
damn magraw! you're quite interested in a lot of things... you should go to hamburg, germany... they have a big ass model rail road track, i think it's the biggest in the world.... nice work you got there btw!

#67 ·
Originally posted by crenshaw magraw@Jul 15 2008, 12:57 PM~11094650
what do u use to get the rust look?

is their a product i can buy at the train store?
Oil paint, the kind you get at art supply stores. I use burnt umber, burnt siena, raw umber, and other earth tones. Make a rust patch with burnt umber by lightly blotting the color to the desired location. Then dip the tip of your brush into clean mineral spirits and drag the brush downward from the center of the rust patch. this gives a rust streak effect. The same can also be done with water based acrylics.

#69 ·
Originally posted by Road Warrior+Jul 13 2008, 06:01 PM~11078723-->

Here's a box car I did several years back. I haven't built anything in years, too busy working on the real thing.
[/b]
:0 ;)

Originally posted by BigPoppa@Jul 13 2008, 06:13 PM~11078791
eastside1999 i think it is is really into this stuff too, he's got a topic in the model section
:cool:

<!--QuoteBegin-64streetcruizer
@Jul 14 2008, 09:48 PM~11089113
Looks pretty good!
:wave:

#71 ·
Originally posted by Road Warrior@Jul 16 2008, 04:27 PM~11102331
Oil paint, the kind you get at art supply stores. I use burnt umber, burnt siena, raw umber, and other earth tones. Make a rust patch with burnt umber by lightly blotting the color to the desired location. Then dip the tip of your brush into clean mineral spirits and drag the brush downward from the center of the rust patch. this gives a rust streak effect. The same can also be done with water based acrylics.
:thumbsup:

#74 ·
#76 ·
well i just won some minature WHORES for my rail road lay out

i figure these would look great when i get started on my street scene,maybe have em hangin out in front of the bar or on a street corner infront of a hotel.

wut do u think,

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.