LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner

sinicle's build thread

99K views 1K replies 116 participants last post by  bigdawgg323 
#1 ·
So I'm getting back into building after a LONG time and the build I'm gonna start with is one that I started about 5 years ago (and put it down about 5 years ago. haha). I'm using this forum as a a running journal as sorts as I build this thing. so buckle up, sit tight, cause this is gonna be a VERY long, slow and uneventful ride! :roflmao: disclaimer: the only camera I have is on my IPhone so beware of shitty pics.

as you can see, this kit's been sitting for a WHILE

See less See more
#2 ·
I started by removing the old paint and decals (about as far as I got the first time I touched this kit). and reprimering it. I'm just glad the body isn't smashed after all the years of this thing sitting.

#4 ·
first thing I noticed is the loss of one of the interior panels. good thing I'm an upholsterer by trade and interior panels are my job! so I made new ones from remnants from the same material I use at my shop for real door panels.

this is the material I use. it's sheets of ABS. it's all I use at my shop for all interior panels

#6 ·
Originally posted by dropped@birth@Apr 2 2011, 08:08 AM~20241959
first thing you might wanna do bro, is get rid of that tube glue ;)  just sayin :cheesy:  ;)
HA thanks. yeah, that glue was in the box. I stopped using that stuff long ago. never really was a fan, too gooy.

#7 ·
I always build my models like I'd build a real car (if I had unlimited resources). so you'll always see traditional interiors(simulated wrinkles pleats/button tuck) and old school styling. this is a test to see if I could do wrinkles.

it looks ok in person, but I'm gonna try something else. something I'm hoping will look more realistic. I think I'm gonna try to actually upholster this one with foam and cloth. the same way I'd do real seats I'll show pics when I get to it.

#8 ·
Originally posted by sinicle@Apr 2 2011, 10:46 AM~20241982
I always build my models like I'd build a real car (if I had unlimited resources). so you'll always see traditional interiors(simulated wrinkles pleats/button tuck) and old school styling. this is a test to see if I could do wrinkles.

it looks ok in person, but I'm gonna try something else. something I'm hoping will look more realistic. I think I'm gonna try to actually upholster this one with foam and cloth. the same way I'd do real seats I'll show pics when I get to it.
YES WRINKLES THATS WHAT IM TALKING ABOUT SIR. :worship:

#13 ·
thank you all for all the positive feedback :biggrin: here's an old build that I found in a box. my first attempt at a ratrod and doing barn door hinges. the radiator and hood support bar have been lost along the way along with the top door hinge. but I still like it for all the custom stuff I did on it like the foot shaped gas peddle and the mailbox air cleaner. maybe I'll fix the stuff wrong with it and stripe it.... :dunno:

#18 ·
here's another one I found from a long time ago. this 58 was the first time I tried to do ghost patterns. I liked the roof so much that I tried my luck at ghost murals on the fender skirts. not too bad for being hand painted. around this time I also hand painted a Star Wars mural on the hood of a 39 sedan delivery, I'll try to find it. I think all thats left of that model is the hood haha

#21 ·
got bored after everyone went to sleep, got some work in. tried my hand at pin striping, ehh :dunno:

OK! BACK TO THE IMPALA! can you guess what I have planed?

all I need now is a clear straw, bet I can even make it water tight...... :biggrin:

#22 ·
Originally posted by sinicle@Apr 2 2011, 11:27 PM~20246153
got bored after everyone went to sleep, got some work in. tried my hand at pin striping, ehh :dunno:

OK! BACK TO THE IMPALA! can you guess what I have planed?

all I need now is a clear straw, bet I can even make it water tight...... :biggrin:

thats badass :cool:

#25 ·
if you like the TC now, just wait! I'm getting the material soon to do the interior, bout 50 yards. I already got the front seats at my shop. some crazy 70's style dinette set buckets. it's gonna be all dark blue with light blue buttons and welt.

#26 ·
Originally posted by sinicle@Apr 2 2011, 11:50 PM~20246305
if you like the TC now, just wait! I'm getting the material soon to do the interior, bout 50 yards. I already got the front seats at my shop. some crazy 70's style dinette set buckets. it's gonna be all dark blue with light blue buttons and welt.
:0 progress pics post them in randon off topic

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.