LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner

How To Do Kandy Patterns.

63K views 185 replies 67 participants last post by  sohchx 
#1 ·
Whats up guys. This is a thread on how to lay out, and spray kandy patterns on your whips. I wanted to do this thread to help out some of you. I have been getting alot of questions lately, as I am sure some of the other painters in here are too.. Hopefully this thread will answer some of your questions and help you kill the paint game!!

First you wanna prep your body (sand, prime, wet sand) to get all of the imperfections out, and give your paint a good clean surface to grip. After the body is ready you want to lay out a nice basecoat for the kandy. In this case I am using Duplicolor Silver Metal Specks. This is a great base to use because it is very user friendly and comes in a spray can.

After your basecoat is dry, it is time to start laying out tape. Take 2 bobby blades and tape them together. The closer the tips of the blades are together the thinner your tape strips will be. Tahe a piece of 2 inch masting that is about 1 foot long and stick it down to your cutting mat and cut your tape strips from that.

Start with one section and go from there.

See less See more
#43 ·
GREAT tutorial!!! Following these techniques and the advice of Chris and a few other great painters here, this is what I came up with on my first time using an airbrush:

I guarantee if my worthless ass can do this my first time, any one of you who follow Chris' how-to can do better!

#46 ·
Doug, I don't think this Camaro could have turned out any better!! The look is DEFINITELY 70's style lowrider!! Excellent work, and I can't wait to see what other kandy jobs you come up with!!

#45 ·
Yea definitely a low psi for patterns, maybe like 15psi for doing a single color body, and about 15-20 for hammering out clear coat. There are more shading technigues that I didn't do, but I will keep adding more pics to this as I finish more cars.

#55 ·
I feel you Art, once u start getting down, you forget to take pics. Thats why the 37 was missing a few pics at the end, I got in the zone and forgot a few. That Glasshouse is bad ass!! I need to get on that leafing. I practiced a little on a spare body, and wasn't feeling the results so I am kinda leary to put any on the 37 or the Root Beer 63.

#63 ·
Chris, can you clue us in on how you thin and apply the nail polish?

I am still trying to perfect the nail polish, so I am not the best person to ask about that. On the 37 I reduced it 2 parts paint/ 1 part urethane reducer. Then you spray with the airbrush.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.