LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner

How To Do Kandy Patterns.

63K views 185 replies 67 participants last post by  sohchx 
#1 ·
Whats up guys. This is a thread on how to lay out, and spray kandy patterns on your whips. I wanted to do this thread to help out some of you. I have been getting alot of questions lately, as I am sure some of the other painters in here are too.. Hopefully this thread will answer some of your questions and help you kill the paint game!!

First you wanna prep your body (sand, prime, wet sand) to get all of the imperfections out, and give your paint a good clean surface to grip. After the body is ready you want to lay out a nice basecoat for the kandy. In this case I am using Duplicolor Silver Metal Specks. This is a great base to use because it is very user friendly and comes in a spray can.

After your basecoat is dry, it is time to start laying out tape. Take 2 bobby blades and tape them together. The closer the tips of the blades are together the thinner your tape strips will be. Tahe a piece of 2 inch masting that is about 1 foot long and stick it down to your cutting mat and cut your tape strips from that.

Start with one section and go from there.

See less See more
#77 · (Edited)
Here's a simple layout of panels with dual kolors and edge fades ........

these are inserts for the doors, trunk, and seats for the '66 ............. next are pinstripes and leafing .........

This is EXACTLY what I've been looking for!! I printed it out and I will study it and apply the principles appropiately! Thanks Tone!! I want to do another one kind of like this one but with a few changes...

#66 ·
a first try far from badass but hey im only 17 i got years of learning to gain lol:) LS "Talk is cheap"

#69 ·
Age doesn't mean ah thing. Whose the yung guy tha leafs and strips car? He has cars in magazines and all and he a teen. It's all in practice. I'm young. Not as young as you but I do convertible conversion, lambos, fiberglassing and I've been doin all of this since I was 14. It's all in practice

#75 ·
#84 ·
Here is my first scallop job. I can definitely see a few 50-60's customs coming out of CT's little shop of horrors this year. I have been working on some ideas with Jim from Pops garage model junkyard. He has had a few customs in MCM. He is all about crazy bodywork. He has done some awesome work that hopefully I will be able to do some of the paint work on them! I will definitely post up pics, because some of his creations are BAD AS HELL!!!

#86 ·
I normally don't like '49 Mercs. but I like that one. That scallop fits that horrible side molding. You got mad skills C. T.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.