LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner

How To Do Kandy Patterns.

63K views 185 replies 67 participants last post by  sohchx 
#1 ·
Whats up guys. This is a thread on how to lay out, and spray kandy patterns on your whips. I wanted to do this thread to help out some of you. I have been getting alot of questions lately, as I am sure some of the other painters in here are too.. Hopefully this thread will answer some of your questions and help you kill the paint game!!

First you wanna prep your body (sand, prime, wet sand) to get all of the imperfections out, and give your paint a good clean surface to grip. After the body is ready you want to lay out a nice basecoat for the kandy. In this case I am using Duplicolor Silver Metal Specks. This is a great base to use because it is very user friendly and comes in a spray can.

After your basecoat is dry, it is time to start laying out tape. Take 2 bobby blades and tape them together. The closer the tips of the blades are together the thinner your tape strips will be. Tahe a piece of 2 inch masting that is about 1 foot long and stick it down to your cutting mat and cut your tape strips from that.

Start with one section and go from there.

See less See more
#5 ·
Here I added 2 more inserts at the rear of the roof and cut away the old tape lines.

Now I brought in a squiggly line pattern. Just start at the front and randomly put some bends in the tape.

Now the tape lines are done and it is time to spray some kandy. I masked off the bottom to prevent paint overspray.

#7 ·
Basically just pic what pattern u want to spray first, and tape it up so just that pattern is showing. Now the tape that you are masking with you dont want to be very sticky or it will pull off your pattern lines so take every piece and stick it to your shirt and hand real good to dull the stickyness to make your life easier!!

Take a piece of construction paper or a business card and lay it on the pattern and lightly spray right along the edge. This will give you a crisp line on 1 side and a faded edge on the other. Pivot the top over a little more and repeat until you get one side done, then switch to the other side and mirror it.

This is what it will look like when done. It is a fan/palm type of pattern.

#8 ·
Now I peeled off the inner pattern outline and faded more kandy red around the edge.

Now choose the next pattern to fill and tape up all the edges with your masking tape remembering to stick the tape to your shirt and hand first to dull the stickyness.

Here I took more kandy red and did another fan pattern, but this time I turned it to the side of the pattern, and mirrored it in the other pattern to give it almost like a sun look.

#9 ·
Let the paint dry for a little bit in warm air, and tape up the next section to spray. This one I sprayed the pattern with a thin layer of gold, and then sprayed the kandy red over that to give it a little different shade of red.

I sprayed the red until it was about half way as dark as I wanted it, and then peeled the squiggly line off and put 1 more coat of kandy on it to make the squiggly line blend in a little bit.

#10 ·
Tape up the next pattern and I did some straight line fades with a straight piece of construction paper.

Here i unmasked some of it and did some more fades on the front 2 patterns. These type of fades are very basic, but give is a killer look!

#12 ·
Now here, I got in the groove and forgot to take a pic of how I taped up the waves on the sides. Basically just take your dual hobby blades and cut out some strips and lay one wavy line down the middle of the pattern and then keep laying them out keeping the same distance between the lines. TAKE YOUR TIME, and you will get a better, more uniform result.

These are all of the patterns all done and shot a coat of clear over it to lock the patterns down.

After the clear dried for a day, I wet sanded it smooth with 2000 grit paper and then taped up the patterns so I could spray the body color.

Here it is after the body was sprayed with red nail polish.

#13 ·
This is it for the tutorial, I hope this answers some of your questions, and Pancho, Jesus, Tony, Art, and any other pattern guys feel free to post up some pics and give some advice. This thread is for everyone!

#17 ·
Thanks Chris. This answers so many of my questions. I do have one at this time. You used nail polish for the body color, but what did you use for the patterns?

#29 ·
Just like taping off for patterns ..... just make your outlines as thin as the pinstripe that you want, then fill in with pinstripers paint (One Shot / HOK) ..... reg paint works too but not nearly as good as those ...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.