How to install chrome frame on door glass
Welcome to the LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums.
LayItLow.com is the premier Lowriders Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
    Aspiring Poster

Default How to install chrome frame on door glass

How do I remove and install the chrome frame on my 64 impala door window ? I have the tar roll that is used to mount the fame on the glass ,but I don't know how to use it. I heard to wet the tar strip with motor oil and set the frame on the glass and let it swell up to hold the glass snug . Anyone know ..

2. Remove Advertisements
    LayItLow.com
    Advertisements

URK BOOGIE
    Car Club
    Neighborhood Supastar

X2
    I'm a NEIGHBORHOOD SUPASTAR (c.c.)
    "I showcase on the streets"
    1964 Impala "Crowd Favorite"
    1965 Impala "I need switches"

Addict Poster

You can either lay the tar on the frame and press the glass in the frame or lay the tar on the glass and press the frame down. Use a razor to trim the extra after you are done. Its not really that hard and u can redo if you mess up.

California Love
    Car Club
    Solo
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by lone star View Post
    You can either lay the tar on the frame and press the glass in the frame or lay the tar on the glass and press the frame down. Use a razor to trim the extra after you are done. Its not really that hard and u can redo if you mess up.
    I agree with the ladder. Place the window set (tar paper) on the glass and work into frame. There are different thicknesses of window set, it should fit snug but not be impossible to push in. And also the opposite, the glass shouldn't wiggle in the frame.
    www.coronachromeandpolish.com

Current items on eBay
    , just click on items for sale: http://myworld.ebay.com/buggin58

Visit my LIL thread Corona Chrome - https://www.layitlow.com/forums/33-ot...-diego-ca.html

URK BOOGIE
    Car Club
    Neighborhood Supastar

Yall got step by step pics of the process. I bought some rubbers that suppose to be for the frames but i fucked the bottom one up last night. What tar are yall talking bout?
    I'm a NEIGHBORHOOD SUPASTAR (c.c.)
    "I showcase on the streets"
    1964 Impala "Crowd Favorite"
    1965 Impala "I need switches"

California Love
    Car Club
    Solo
    Blog Entries

Not tar, that paper can be referred to as tar paper or Window felt

Baller Poster
    Car Club
    GROUPE SO CAL

all true for installing and putting back together. To chrome was better than buying the after market chrome frame. you were better off buying the window channel where the window sits. And yes cut the remainder off with a blade
    1963-CHEVROLET IMPALA SS

1978- OLDSMOBILE CUTLASS CALAIS

Addict Poster

Tar paper and window felt are 2 different things. Tar paper is what u put in between the glass and the chrome frame. Its a sort of cushion for the glass so u dont have glass rattling against metal window frame. Its rubbery sort of sticky roll of tape. Window felt is what goes in the channel its like a felt carpet type of insert usually already pre fit. The process is not hard at all. Just a little patients, a screw driver and a razor blade, some windex and you are done. I did all new felts tar and sweeps on my 62 and it took 2 evenings total.

California Love
    Car Club
    Solo
    Blog Entries

Tar paper and window felt are 2 different things. Tar paper is what u put in between the glass and the chrome frame. Its a sort of cushion for the glass so u dont have glass rattling against metal window frame. Its rubbery sort of sticky roll of tape. Window felt is what goes in the channel its like a felt carpet type of insert usually already pre fit. The process is not hard at all. Just a little patients, a screw driver and a razor blade, some windex and you are done. I did all new felts tar and sweeps on my 62 and it took 2 evenings total.
    You are correct. Sorry just did a '52 and those windows use more like a cloth fabric than tar/rubber paper, that's what I meant by felt paper. But you are correct, "window felt" goes into the vertical sliding channels.
    www.coronachromeandpolish.com

Current items on eBay
    , just click on items for sale: http://myworld.ebay.com/buggin58

Visit my LIL thread Corona Chrome - https://www.layitlow.com/forums/33-ot...-diego-ca.html

slo
    Addict Poster
    Car Club
    HYPNOTIZED C.C.
    Blog Entries

Also, Press in not tap in. Get a piece of nylon rope n a stick or wood dowel and wrap around and twist it so it presses the glass into rail.

~DANCE UNDER WATER~
    Car Club
    75 SOUTH SIDE CC

Does anyone sell the repop frames for the top and side of 64' windows, passenger and driver?

Addict Poster

Quote Originally Posted by king debo View Post
    Does anyone sell the repop frames for the top and side of 64' windows, passenger and driver?
    Yes they are all over the place......

Quote Originally Posted by sixonebubble View Post
    You are correct. Sorry just did a '52 and those windows use more like a cloth fabric than tar/rubber paper, that's what I meant by felt paper. But you are correct, "window felt" goes into the vertical sliding channels.
    Does anyone know where I can buy the "tar paper"?

Quote Originally Posted by Grillo305 View Post
    Does anyone know where I can buy the "tar paper"?
    Google “glass setting tape”

Thank you, will do!

17. Remove Advertisements
    LayItLow.com
    Advertisements

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Thread Information