LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner

CHEVY 350 SWAP INTO 87 CUTLASS

22K views 16 replies 9 participants last post by  sabrina.sharp91 
#1 ·
Need info on what needs to be done, what has to be changed and if i can use the same trans.

Thanks, MM

#2 ·
eazy first thing you do is advertize your block if its ok so people can hear it run. you can leave your tranny you just need an adaptor plate from ebay or a chevy trans from a monte carlo. its eazy but in your case take the whole front header off. parts are hard to find. motor mounts are needed from a caprice, monte , el camino. theres 2 parts to motor mounts upper and lower. around here the whole job is 600 bucks. i can get the whole job done for 80 bucks.

#4 ·
#5 ·
Dont listen to this crackhead^^ . What kind of engine are you taking out? If its a olds engine and it has a 200r4 it may have the b o p ( thats buick olds pontiac) pattern and the chevy bellhousing pattern. If it does have the universal pattern it will work with the chevy engine. If not chevy th350s are inexpensive. Then you gotta swap the frame mounts to chevy ones. If you go to the parts store ask for ones for a monte carlo with a 305. This is one of the easiest engine swaps. You also gotta get the right accesorie brackets and power steering pump and brackets. If you got access to junkyards you should be able to find a vehicle with a small block chevy and find lots of parts.

#6 ·
first of all i take it this car is juiced? if so go to summit an order solid lower mounts( Moroso 62630) the upper are (Moroso 62515). why solid mounts, so it wont move around so much. da biggest problem you gonna have is which holes to use on the cross member.. but in your case i have the website that answers that http://gbodyforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=2485 notice how the lower motor mounts only use 3 of the holes thats da key.......:thumbsup:

#7 ·
Not hard at all I put a Chevy 350 an trans out of a 73 impala in my 85 cutlass. Didn't take the header panel off either jus used a cherry picker and got my motor mounts at advance auto. Chevy motor mount an jus drilled a new hole, everything works an fits fine if anyone tells you different there full of it. I did have to get my driveshaft shortened but it was only fifty bucks well worth it. Why not use a Chevy trans by the time u find adapter plate an whatever else it would b easier

#12 ·
so just relocate the motor mounts, and if the tranny don't have the chevy bell housing get a turbo 350 or use the gay adapter plate. looks like all my questions have been answered.

Thanks, MM

#13 ·
My motor mounts had to be moved up to the very front of the car and they were stock holes already in the frame....as for the tranny well it bolted right up to the motor obviously and it actually fit right into the under of the car without any fabrications...tranny cross member fit right under it....i have some pictures on my build page.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.