LSX SWAP 1963 IMPALA - Page 24
Welcome to the LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums.
LayItLow.com is the premier Lowriders Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 24 of 24 FirstFirst ... 14 22 23 24
Results 461 to 478 of 478
  1. #461
    Addict Poster
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Calgary, Alberta
    Posts
    3,786

    Default

    Wow just read all 23 pages. Awesome info in here!

  2. Remove Advertisements
    LayItLow.com
    Advertisements
     

  3. #462
    Baller Poster
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Location
    Overhere
    Posts
    379

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Midwest Ridaz View Post
    Fuel injection in 2016 if not.......... dont open Your hood.
    2017 same rules apply...if its not a OG resto...FUEL INJECTION or You faking......No carbs on cut Cars.

  4. #463
    Addict Poster
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    Fullerton CA
    Posts
    9,565

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by OGMIDWEST View Post
    2017 same rules apply...if its not a OG resto...FUEL INJECTION or You faking......No carbs on cut Cars.
    Why don't you just worry about your standard offset wheels and being a groupie of the Majestics. Since when are you the authority on engine building. Call a midwesterner for Lowrider building advice said no one ever.

  5. #464
    Baller Poster
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Location
    Overhere
    Posts
    379

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RobLBC View Post
    Why don't you just worry about your standard offset wheels and being a groupie of the Majestics. Since when are you the authority on engine building. Call a midwesterner for Lowrider building advice said no one ever.
    Troll fishing is so Fun.....see I caught another one. Calm down little fella.....I'm going to throw You back in...

  6. #465
    Addict Poster
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Car Club
    SKRAPEHOUSE CC
    Posts
    6,484

    Default

    sup LS fam, its been a while since I've been on LIL

  7. #466
    Aspiring Poster
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    45

    Default

    Working on 64 with a 6.2/4l80e

    Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

  8. #467
    Addict Poster
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Car Club
    SKRAPEHOUSE CC
    Posts
    6,484

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Toxic Donkey View Post
    Working on 64 with a 6.2/4l80e

    Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk
    Now thats an LS!

  9. #468
    Newbie
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Posts
    1

    Default LS3 in '61 Belair Bubbletop - > Engine mount vs. driveline angle...

    My '61 Bubbletop is running, and currently at the interior shop. I've went through each post on this thread, looking to see what folks have done with motor mounts, and driveline angle.

    During my build, I participated in some forum topics on this, and it seems to be mixed. Several folks say it is absolutely necessary to notch the crossmember and lower the engine...in spite of having the Camaro pan with clearance (albeit not much)...in order to achieve the correct driveline angle and not have vibration at 60-65 mph.

    Making a LONG story short, the problem I had with notching the cross member was that any of the motor mounts I could find would NOT drop the engine down. So, if you don't drop the engine down into the notch, what good is it to notch the cross member?

    Reading through all posts here, I did not find anyone concerned about driveline angle, or mentioning vibrations due to that.

    So, when I test drove mine up on the freeway, it seems that maybe I do have a bit of vibration. The test drive was before putting in the interior (as mentioned, at interior shop now), and so with the attending road noise etc, I'm not sure. What I particularly noticed was the power window motor in the passenger door would vibrate at about 62 mph - 65 or so. I measured and my driveline angle is 7 degrees, which is in fact too much from what I read.

    What I have done to try to get a better angle: The original motor mount conversion purchased from Street and Performance were 1/2" thick and mounted the engine 1" forward. I changed to thinner motor mount conversion plates (trying to lower front of engine), as well as stock position (which resulted in having the mounts more forward on the engine...raising it less); raised back of transmission with 1" square tubing at motor mount (raised back of tranny 1"). That is giving me the 7 degrees.

    I'm thinking once it's back from interior shop that unfortunately I will need to pull the engine and lower it. Need to do some more test drives.

    This seemed like a good thread to ask in. Anyone have any thoughts?

  10. #469
    Addict Poster
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Car Club
    SKRAPEHOUSE CC
    Posts
    6,484

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sherbet View Post
    My '61 Bubbletop is running, and currently at the interior shop. I've went through each post on this thread, looking to see what folks have done with motor mounts, and driveline angle.

    During my build, I participated in some forum topics on this, and it seems to be mixed. Several folks say it is absolutely necessary to notch the crossmember and lower the engine...in spite of having the Camaro pan with clearance (albeit not much)...in order to achieve the correct driveline angle and not have vibration at 60-65 mph.

    Making a LONG story short, the problem I had with notching the cross member was that any of the motor mounts I could find would NOT drop the engine down. So, if you don't drop the engine down into the notch, what good is it to notch the cross member?

    Reading through all posts here, I did not find anyone concerned about driveline angle, or mentioning vibrations due to that.

    So, when I test drove mine up on the freeway, it seems that maybe I do have a bit of vibration. The test drive was before putting in the interior (as mentioned, at interior shop now), and so with the attending road noise etc, I'm not sure. What I particularly noticed was the power window motor in the passenger door would vibrate at about 62 mph - 65 or so. I measured and my driveline angle is 7 degrees, which is in fact too much from what I read.

    What I have done to try to get a better angle: The original motor mount conversion purchased from Street and Performance were 1/2" thick and mounted the engine 1" forward. I changed to thinner motor mount conversion plates (trying to lower front of engine), as well as stock position (which resulted in having the mounts more forward on the engine...raising it less); raised back of transmission with 1" square tubing at motor mount (raised back of tranny 1"). That is giving me the 7 degrees.

    I'm thinking once it's back from interior shop that unfortunately I will need to pull the engine and lower it. Need to do some more test drives.

    This seemed like a good thread to ask in. Anyone have any thoughts?
    I actually dropped mine in to the notch which is why I needed to notch it 1 clear and 2 get the 3deg driveline angle.

  11. #470
    Aspiring Poster
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    45

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 64_EC_STYLE View Post
    I actually dropped mine in to the notch which is why I needed to notch it 1 clear and 2 get the 3deg driveline angle.
    What mounts did you use? My intention is to use dirty dingo plates for 3/4" forward position and old style sbc Blasck Magic mounts. I did notch the xmember diring the wrap, but not sire id its enough.

    Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

  12. #471
    Addict Poster
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Car Club
    SKRAPEHOUSE CC
    Posts
    6,484

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Toxic Donkey View Post
    What mounts did you use? My intention is to use dirty dingo plates for 3/4" forward position and old style sbc Blasck Magic mounts. I did notch the xmember diring the wrap, but not sire id its enough.

    Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk
    nice frame wanna sell it! or LMK who did it!

    I used cheap mount from ebay that had 3 set of bolt holes for different locations. the last 2 LS swaps i've done I used the dirty dingo mount(non impala), it lets you put the motor right where you need based on your car. Its hard to tell as every car is different. BRP Hotrods sells a LS swap kit that states you won't need to notch. or you could go with the dirty dingo mount and shim accordingly if you do need make some clearance.

  13. #472
    Aspiring Poster
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    45

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 64_EC_STYLE View Post
    nice frame wanna sell it! or LMK who did it!

    I used cheap mount from ebay that had 3 set of bolt holes for different locations. the last 2 LS swaps i've done I used the dirty dingo mount(non impala), it lets you put the motor right where you need based on your car. Its hard to tell as every car is different. BRP Hotrods sells a LS swap kit that states you won't need to notch. or you could go with the dirty dingo mount and shim accordingly if you do need make some clearance.
    Man Im building this shit if it kills me! Brent at pitbull did the frame. When you say "non impala" plates from dd, you mean just the generic three position plates?

    Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

  14. #473
    Aspiring Poster
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    45

    Default

    Or the ones that you slide? Wasnt sure about them if I hop a little...

    Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

  15. #474
    Addict Poster
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Car Club
    SKRAPEHOUSE CC
    Posts
    6,484

    Default

    I was just saying the last 2 swaps I used the dirty dingo slider mounts on other cars so i don't know how they fit in an impala. but I wouldn't hesitate to use them, they're well built and sturdy. If you're planning on banging, i'd use solid engine and tranny mounts, but I don't have any hopping experience, I'm just a cruiser

  16. #475
    Aspiring Poster
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    45

    Default

    Building it to take it, even if I dont use it.

    Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

  17. #476
    Addict Poster
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    3,199

    Default

    Wondering if the price to do this swap has lowered over the years ?

  18. #477
    The repair manual
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Nebraska
    Car Club
    TRUESTYLE C.C.
    Posts
    18,724

    Default

    A little. Definitely more aftermarket parts available. Dorman even makes LS6 intakes for $300 now.

  19. #478
    Addict Poster
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    3,199

    Default

    Would like to see a updated list on conversion parts and prices if anyone would share

  20. Remove Advertisements
    LayItLow.com
    Advertisements
     


 
+ Reply to Thread
Page 24 of 24 FirstFirst ... 14 22 23 24

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

     

Posting Permissions

  • You may post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •