LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
INFO STALKER
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I talked to jay at BC fab and have a y bar coming because of the pan hard bar shift but also I think ALL the diff fluid is on my shop floor because my pinion is facing down . It’s coming from my pinion seal but it has been replaced. Buuuuut the angle has the be wrong because it’s pouting pretty far down or that’s my opinion. What is everybody pinion angles ? Pics couldn’t hurt either. Thanks

·
Super Moderator
599 Posts
If you're leaking through the pinion, you need a pinion seal.

To set the angle, you need a degree finder. Measure the degree of the slip yoke comming out of the trans, not the driveshaft, but the yoke coming out of the trans. Then measure the degree of the pinion yoke. The measurement of those two yokes need to be almost the same. The pinion yoke should be set 2° more than the trans yoke to account for the diff rolling when you step on the throttle.

Kinda hard to explain in text

·
INFO STALKER
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nah, I get it. I have replaced the seal, twice. The first time I thought I messed it up so I had my mechanic buddy do the last time. Still leaks.

·
INFO STALKER
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Just to follow up. Pinion angle should be opposite of the trannys tailshaft and set at half travel. IE if the tailshaft it 5* negative, the pinion should be set at 5* positive. And to find half travel, lift the axle as far up as it will go, measure to a fixed point. Then as far down as it will go, measure to the same spot. Find the half of that measurement and set the angle there. Hope it helps someone sometime.And about the seal, either the groove in the yoke had something to do with it, or that little spring that holds the seal tights on the yoke May have got messed up.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts