LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
That's my plan for my 01 maxima, its 4 door, can it b done? How hard? What structual nods will have to b done? Any ideas?

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
That's my plan for my 01 maxima, its 4 door, can it b done? How hard? What structual nods will have to b done? Any ideas?
well for one is a unibody so the roof holds a great deal of the cars structural integrity. youll have to run some reinforcing rails in the rocker area then reinforce the tub area where the convertible rack folds up. theres a thread in projects called bad idea cadillac coupe deville convertible conversion. the caddy is a framed car but youll get an idea of what kinda headaches your getting into... its not a simple job to do it right and not make it look like an abortion. the dude was like he wouldnt do it to another car for under 16k... you have to find another convertible donor car that has similar dimensions and then a whole lotta fab work... browse though the build, some of this wont apply to a unibody build but its a good representation of what your up against... not to mention fabrication of quarter panels and longer doors....

http://www.layitlow.com/forums/showthread.php/133482-BAD-IDEA-81-coupe-to-convertible?highlight=convertible

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
I am not sure if you live in San Bernadino, CA of Mississippi? If you live in San Bernadino, you can take it to Evans Auto Care off Baseline and Sierra Way. Javier charges $2800 to $3500 to do the job. This includes a full frame built inside and outside the car, cutting the roof off the car, and all the cut areas molded. They use a 1991 Chryster Labaron convertible rack. They will trim and add to the rack to make it fit. They will also upholster the top in black stayfast material. You will likely have to pay more money to convert it from a 4 door to a 2 door, but they can do it fairly easily. Javier also owns a body shop about 5 minutes away, which is ran by his brother Henry. If you have any older issues of Lowrider Magazine from the mid-late 90's. Evan Auto Care has been featured in the "How To" section many of times for these types of conversions. Look for a 95' Honda Civic 4 door, which is exactly what you are inquiring about. I had a 90' Honda Prelude (radical car), which I duplicated the "How To" from the issue I am referencing. I did not want a convertible top, but a chop top. I skipped a few step, since I was not going that route. It took me a weekend to do it, but I had no stress issues, bends, etc. I also had a 4 pump setup. Hopefully that helps you out!

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
I am not sure if you live in San Bernadino, CA of Mississippi? If you live in San Bernadino, you can take it to Evans Auto Care off Baseline and Sierra Way. Javier charges $2800 to $3500 to do the job. This includes a full frame built inside and outside the car, cutting the roof off the car, and all the cut areas molded. They use a 1991 Chryster Labaron convertible rack. They will trim and add to the rack to make it fit. They will also upholster the top in black stayfast material. You will likely have to pay more money to convert it from a 4 door to a 2 door, but they can do it fairly easily. Javier also owns a body shop about 5 minutes away, which is ran by his brother Henry. If you have any older issues of Lowrider Magazine from the mid-late 90's. Evan Auto Care has been featured in the "How To" section many of times for these types of conversions. Look for a 95' Honda Civic 4 door, which is exactly what you are inquiring about. I had a 90' Honda Prelude (radical car), which I duplicated the "How To" from the issue I am referencing. I did not want a convertible top, but a chop top. I skipped a few step, since I was not going that route. It took me a weekend to do it, but I had no stress issues, bends, etc. I also had a 4 pump setup. Hopefully that helps you out!
mmmmm... seems a little too cheap. even if it was a 2 door to start off with its still a shit ton of work. youd have to make custom glass, header bow, and everything in between. any links or pics around this shop has done . id love to see what 3500 gets you... wonder if those are late 90's prices

·
The Great White Hype
59,428 Posts
seems unrealistic

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
mmmmm... seems a little too cheap. even if it was a 2 door to start off with its still a shit ton of work. youd have to make custom glass, header bow, and everything in between. any links or pics around this shop has done . id love to see what 3500 gets you... wonder if those are late 90's prices
The price I quoted was from 1991-2001. His prices have stayed the same for the 10 years that I knew him back then. I have known him almost 19 years, and his prices don't vary much. I would imagine he would likely have to pay more money. I don't think it would be all that much more. I was only trying to give him a number to go off. If he wants a firm price, then he can call them or take his car down there.

Years ago most of the convertible G-body's and Chop Top Euro's from the Southwest were either done by Evans Auto Care or South Gate Sunroofs in LA. Royals CC and Latin Legacy in Las Vegas had several cars done there (All G-Bodys). I use to be in Dynasty CC in Las Vegas, and we took at least 6 cars for chop tops and another 2 for chop top convertible conversions. That's how I know what he charges, because my friends and I all had alot of work done there over the years. I took my car to them in 1999 to have them finish my chop top and do all my bodywork. It cost me $1800, which included molding all the cut lines, molding the window channels, mounting and molding my Xenon body kit, shaved emblems, shaved door handles, and putting the car in primer.

·
Registered
1,537 Posts

That does not include glass. All the G-Body's that I see done were done one of three ways.

They would build the top, so it would take place where the quarter windows would normally go. Or they would either cap it with metal and paint it, or upholster over it. That would leave the quarter window area wide open. Most were done this way. All the 4 doors I seen done were chop tops and left 4 doors.

In the Southwest it rarely rains, and most of the cars that our club and friends had done were full show cars. You have to remember the standards were alot different back then. Now days anybody that does anything like this, wants it to look like it was designed from the factory to be a true convertible with all the glass etc.
utib
The orginal question he asked was "can it be done?" "how do I do it?" I answered it..yes it can be done. Here is a rough idea on how to do it. Here is who you can take your car to, if you either want to learn or pay somebody reputible to do it.

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
it would make sense if they did all g bodies. they would have a plan of attack and templates all worked out before they gave someone a price. if it were me i wouldnt bother half assing it with no glass and all that mess. id be more after the style of the thread i posted up earlier.... pay the right money to do it right

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
it would make sense if they did all g bodies. they would have a plan of attack and templates all worked out before they gave someone a price. if it were me i wouldnt bother half assing it with no glass and all that mess. id be more after the style of the thread i posted up earlier.... pay the right money to do it right
Agreed...pay the money and do it right. The only thing I would say, is that in that era; that was the right way to do it. People did not start doing what we are referring to until Topo started building 2 door big body conversions to look as if they just came out of the GM plant in Detroit. Most guys went the cheap, easy way, and hacked their roof off their ride.

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanx guys i think instead of all that headach ill just stick to the cadillac cts interiour, cadillac deville pearl white, and 22's with vouge tires, of coarse with custome body work, shaved this and that, its gonna be a pretty sweet ride when im done, and im actually in north west florida now not in cali or missi

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.