LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Would a 1.0 farad cap relieve ALL bass stress off of my factory alternator or does it only help somewhat? I may add another amp and if I do I'd have to get a second cap, right? I know I can upgrade my alternator, but if it's not necessary, I won't. Thanks.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Think of it like this:
Your alternator is your power source. If it can't relieve the stress of your electrical system, how is adding another power consuming component going to help any?

Also upgrade the wire from your alternator to your battery, and your battery to your amp to at least 4 guage for a high power system.

·
Registered
304 Posts
In some cases it will help a little, but for the most part it won't. Long bass notes in certain types of music will suck your current level way down, while more punchy rock tunes won't suck as much juice, since they allow a "refueling time" for the alternator between heavy beats.

·
Registered
4,444 Posts
Posted: Mon Apr 21, 2003 9:35 pm    Post subject:    

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bleh...caps...don't get me started on them...

I don't feel like typing a good 5 pages agout how caps are useless (because I can go on forever), but here are some excerpts (sp?) on what I've said about caps on another forum....

"If the capacitor does its job, the added voltage (less voltage drop means higher voltage available to the amplifier) would give you more power output, especially with amps with unregulated power supplies. You probably noticed that I said 'supposed_to_do' earlier. This is because there has been some discussion as to whether a capacitor is a help or a hinderence when it comes to keeping the voltage at a higher level than without it. Of course, if you ask someone that's spent more than $100 on a capacitor if it helped, they'll tell you that it has. Why on earth would someone 'fess up' to wasting that much money on 'snake oil'. I've yet to see a capacitor increase the SPL in any system
but really...
A cap discharges way to fast, cause it stores very little power, so it doesn't effect the alternator enought to allow a "steady stream" to occur.... the alternator will always be working hard... THE CAP JUST DOESN'T HOLD ENOUGHT POWER to make a difference

HOW MUCH POWER DOES A CAPACITOR STORE?

1 Farad = 100 joules or 100W/second
850cca battery = ~2,200,000 farads

For storage purposes, you'd need ~2,200 1 Farad capacitors to equal the energy of your battery.

Due to its impedence (ESR & ESL), a cap's energy is only 50% available. What's worse, is that in order for a 1 Farad cap to discharge, first the alternator output must have maxed out, and the voltage must have dropped around 1.5 volts. But I thought a cap was supposed to prevent that (voltage drop)!!!!!????? Yep, you got the point.

IF A BATTERY = 2,200 CAPS, THEN WHY BUY A (PUNY) CAP?

My question exactly. Marketing is the reason why people buy caps. In many cases, upgrading wiring will help your system get the maximum transfer of current. Once that has been reached, adding a capacitor may have a minor effect on your system. 50W over the course of a second is not a lot of power considering an amplifier may draw 2000W to put out 1400 watts. Let's look at the situation from a resources standpoint.

Alternator 80 amps
Car accessories (minus stereo) 40 amps
A large Car Audio system (DRAWS ) ~200 amps AT FULL OUTPUT

In this case, you have 240 amps of draw, but only 80 amps of current from the alternator. In your case, you need 160 amps x 12 volts or or let's say 1920 watts of energy. Since a cap stores 50W, how much of a difference do you think it's going to make? A cap is basically a peashooter. W+e need a Howitzer cannon here, to do the job well.

Also, Once a cap is discharged, where does it get it's power from? The alternator, which is already overloaded. Once a cap is discharged, it's worthless. Like SWEZ says, “..The cap already shot its wad, an does limp til recharged…” I’m not so certain I will allow him to babysit my kids, but you get the drift. (I never said it quiet like that... and oh...I'm great with kids!)

SO, WHAT IS A CAPACITOR GOOD FOR?

1. Audio Jewelry- impress chicks with large cylindrical shiny thingy
2. Extra weight in winter time
3. A very POOR... BUT expensive distribution block
4. A projectile in the event of a crash
5. Rolling pin--for cooking purposes
6. A neat thing to tell your friend, "..Hey man, lick the top of this.."

Also, check out this thread at Soundillusions.net. read the posts from 'bigbassman', he holds so many world records, I have lost count.

Last edited by DeAdPhLow at Sep 25 2003, 03:50 PM

·
Registered
122 Posts
LOL I like dat man, but yeah caps help somewhat but also hender b/c its like dis the more energy storage thingies you have hooked up to your altenator the more strain u put on it thus the less amps your altenator produces which dosent produce the amount of power needed for the amplifier in time even with the proper amount of capacitence- My prefernce are BATCAPs which acts as both because Long and loud bass notes which I like to break da pavement with(like Three 6 mafia,Screw,etc. ),and hard Knocking bass like of a kick drum

Basically

Long bass+High Volume= Battery

kick Drum bass+High Volume= Capacitor

so combine both you get BATCAP

1 - 7 of 7 Posts