LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Phoenix Chapter President
6,456 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok here's the deal,I have a JBL 12" sub (max rated at 1500 watts)and a 1000 watt 2 channel amp,I was running it off of one channel and it hits ok but I decided I wanted a little more bass so I bridged the amp to push the 1000 watts to the sub,and everything worked fine for about an hour ,sub was pounding,then I started to smell smoke and pop'd my trunk and smoke was comming out of the port of the enclosure(box)....I turned off the system and turned it back on and the sub is fine........is the amp pushing out too much power even though its rated at 1000 watts and the sub is rated at 1500 watts????should I put it back how it was???Im also running a capasitor.....

·
Registered
4,674 Posts
Originally posted by DanielDucati@Feb 12 2010, 03:16 PM~16595251
Ok here's the deal,I have a JBL 12" sub (max rated at 1500 watts)and a 1000 watt 2 channel amp,I was running it off of one channel and it hits ok but I decided I wanted a little more bass so I bridged the amp to push the 1000 watts to the sub,and everything worked fine for about an hour ,sub was pounding,then I started to smell smoke and pop'd my trunk and smoke was comming out of the port of the enclosure(box)....I turned off the system and turned it back on and the sub is fine........is the amp pushing out too much power even though its rated at 1000 watts and the sub is rated at 1500 watts????should I put it back how it was???Im also running a capasitor.....
What did it smell like? If it smelled burned then you more than likely burned or started to damage the voice coil. Ill do somemore research on the cause whats the ohm load of the set up your running. Sub impedence and amps minimal ohm load. Shoot those for more info.

·
Registered
11,973 Posts
also look at the wire from the box to the sub they might be melting it happen to me on my type r's ??? just a thought

1 - 3 of 3 Posts