LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ive got an 86 olds cutlass on 13's and hydraulics, been riding like that for over a year now, almost daily, but lately ive noticed that my transmission is not changing gears, i get up to about 55 and it just doesnt want to go, im in san diego and its a little chilly in the mornings and it does this then, but in the afternoon after the day warms up, it goes just fine, so im wondering if the 13's may be messing up my trans, thanks in advance

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
have u checked ur tranny fluid? I have an '85 cutlass V6 on 13's n my car rides fine...I also had an '85 monte carlo on 13's n never had transmission problems

·
SPELL CHECK
21,743 Posts
13s aren't killing the transmission. It's poor maintenance or just age that kills it. :happysad:

·
18,283 Posts
Originally posted by Badass94Cad@Jan 22 2010, 01:15 PM~16377324
13s aren't killing the transmission.  It's poor maintenance or just age that kills it. :happysad:
I agree.

·
Registered
75 Posts
dont forget to check for air leaks there is a trans.module on it which helps trans.change gears at a certain speed also

·
Registered
695 Posts
the out side diamater of the tire is smaller than your stock ones were.

this means that at ( example only ) your cars spedometer reads 55 mph your car is actually only going 47 mph - wich would also mean that for your car to drive actual 55 mph the engine will need to rev higher in rpm to achieve the same speed as you would drive at on stock wheels.

this does not kill the tranny. if anything - it would be like adding a lower gear ratio to your stock rear end. like putting 4:11 gears on a drag racing car. it gives the drive trail less stress to move the same mass from a dead stop at the cost of high rpm speeds.

·
16,068 Posts
Originally posted by Badass94Cad+Jan 22 2010, 03:15 PM~16377324-->
13s aren't killing the transmission.  It's poor maintenance or just age that kills it. :happysad:
[/b]

<!--QuoteBegin-brian84corvette
@Jan 23 2010, 10:02 PM~16389752
the out side diamater of the tire is smaller than your stock ones were.

this means that at ( example only ) your cars spedometer reads 55 mph your car is actually only going 47 mph - wich would also mean that for your car to drive actual 55 mph the engine will need to rev higher in rpm to achieve the same speed as you would drive at on stock wheels.

this does not kill the tranny.  if anything - it would be like adding a lower gear ratio to your stock rear end.    like putting 4:11 gears on a drag racing car.  it gives the drive trail less stress to move the same mass from a dead stop  at the cost of high rpm speeds.
x100. I rolled on 13's daily for years and trans was still running strong when the engine blew. All i did was change the trans fluid/filter/gasket every couple years which was about every 20,000 miles.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
damn thanks for the great info, i checked y fluid seemed pretty full, im gonna change out the fluid and filter and see if that will help, thanks again fellas

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
and the maintenence has been kept up on everything on the car, it has 107,000 on it so maybe just time for a new one? droppin a crate motor in it hopefully in 6 months

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
could it possibly be because my ass end is raised and my front is almost as low as it will go? from the angle would that make a difference?

·
Registered
200 Posts
Originally posted by E-Town520@Jan 22 2010, 03:09 PM~16377282
have u checked ur tranny fluid? I have an '85 cutlass V6 on 13's n my car rides fine...I also had an '85 monte carlo on 13's n never had transmission problems
3.8 L Buick V6? or 3.1 L 3100 V6?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts