LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
911 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i just got my 14" cylinders yesterday and my homeboy thats gonna put my switches on said that i wouls have a problem in the back. he said something about the trailing arms but i had told them that plenty of people has put 14 in the back and they dont have any problem with. i hope some can answer my question.

Later, peace

·
Registered
800 Posts
ur answer would be to maybe drop the lower trailing arm mounts and extend the lower trailing arms and the upper trailing arms. some one correct me if im wrong or put in wat ever i missed. oh yea and make sure its going to be a coil over set up.

·
Registered
295 Posts
run coil-over and extend your upper trailing arms an inch or so....boxing is always a good idea as well...depending on what kind of car you're talking about, might not be able to run 6x9's in the stock location either :biggrin:

·
Registered
2,562 Posts
dont box the uppers!!!! :thumbsdown: you will be replacing the rear end!!!trust me

·
Registered
10,737 Posts
shorten your driveshaft or better yet get a slip yoked driveshaft....extend your upper trailing arms 1''....if you dont do those two things you will have 2 problems....nasty ass pinion angle and a driveshaft slammed into your tranny

·
Member # 1,077
22,641 Posts
Originally posted by caranto@Jul 25 2005, 07:26 AM
dont box the uppers!!!! :thumbsdown: you will be replacing the rear end!!!trust me
[snapback]3473189[/snapback]​

explain more

·
Premium Member
34,391 Posts
Originally posted by pimpoldscutlass81@Jul 25 2005, 02:13 PM
explain more
[snapback]3474384[/snapback]​
yeah.. I'm wondering the same thing

·
Registered
709 Posts
and cut the piece of metal off that is right under the lower trailing arms for clearence issuse but becareful not to cut the brake line. and extend ur uppers two inches get some stock lower trailing arms off of a 80's caddy and drop ur lower trailing arm mounts 5".

·
Registered
5,867 Posts
Originally posted by pimpoldscutlass81@Jul 25 2005, 12:13 PM
explain more
[snapback]3474384[/snapback]​
You will snap the bushing out of the rearend, and the only way to fix it is to get a new one. When you three wheel the trailing arms flex, if they don't flex you won't three wheel.

·
Registered
10,888 Posts
Originally posted by enough_talkin@Jul 25 2005, 06:59 PM
shorten your driveshaft or better yet get a slip yoked driveshaft....extend your upper trailing arms 1''....if you dont do those two things you will have 2 problems....nasty ass pinion angle and a driveshaft slammed into your tranny
[snapback]3474307[/snapback]​

he might be able to get away with JUST extending the uppers and not shortening the driveshaft right?????

i went to a local driveshaft shop and he said that i might be able to get away with just extending the uppers to correct the pinion angle.........

·
Registered
10,737 Posts
Originally posted by SWITCHCRAFT@Jul 25 2005, 10:07 PM
he might be able to get away with JUST extending the uppers and not shortening the driveshaft right?????
i went to a local driveshaft shop and he said that i might be able to get away with just extending the uppers to correct the pinion angle.........
[snapback]3478416[/snapback]​
extending the uppers corrects the pinion angle and thats all....shortening the driveshaft is so you dont smash the tranny in when you lockup

·
Registered
625 Posts
i also had a question on the drive shaft thing, but after i got the strokes in it definately need to be shortened no more than an inch. i had the uppers extended, they just boxed part of the frame end a little bit. boxed the lowers and didnt move any mounts.

·
GLASSHOUSE RIDER
4,107 Posts
Originally posted by unkuthz@Jul 29 2005, 11:03 AM
i also had a question on the drive shaft thing, but after i got the strokes in it definately need to be shortened no more than an inch. i had the uppers extended, they just boxed part of the frame end a little bit. boxed the lowers and didnt move any mounts.
[snapback]3504117[/snapback]​
How does it Ride, Locked up and dropped all the way?
We did the same to mine. We installed 14's on my 87 Cutlass, extended the trailling arms 2", went out and got a telescopic Drive shaft, and my Cutlass drove like shit, locked and dropped, it only drove good about 3" from being locked up all the way. On the highway it just drove like shit. Vibrating all over the place :angry: :cool:

·
GLASSHOUSE RIDER
4,107 Posts
Originally posted by 81low@Jul 25 2005, 08:57 PM
and cut the piece of metal off that is right under the lower trailing arms for clearence issuse but becareful not to cut the brake line. and extend ur uppers two inches get some stock lower trailing arms off of a 80's caddy and drop ur lower trailing arm mounts 5".
[snapback]3478349[/snapback]​
I'm going to try this as soon as get my Ride back from the paint shop. :cool: Except for the lower Caddy arms.

·
Member # 1,077
22,641 Posts
what breaks on the trann when the drive shaft is pushed in? the bearing in the tail shaft?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts