LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,562 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i know some of you all dont like the squares,but this is what i got.......15"kicker L7,kicker 1200.1 what box do you reccommend...sealed, ported?????i got it in a pre-fab ported box now, but i was just wondering if i could get it to sound better!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
787 Posts
i heard a ported enclosure yesterday with 3 square 12" kicker l7's

being push by one us amp mono pushing 1200 @ 1ohm


beatin pretty good
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,581 Posts
Originally posted by caranto@Aug 8 2005, 04:24 PM~3561741
i know some of you all dont like the squares,but this is what i got.......15"kicker L7,kicker 1200.1   what box do you reccommend...sealed, ported?????i got it in a pre-fab ported box now, but i was just wondering if i could get it to sound better!

answering these questions will get you an answer quick...

what style port are you using (slot vented/tube)?

what's the tuning of the box?

whats the volume of the box (cubic feet)?

have you tried it (or heard it) in a sealed box yet? (sealed boxes have less output then ported boxes, but the sealed output is more "tighter/accurate")

what vehicle is it in?

just for your info, kicker L7's are known to get loud but not known to have good sound quality...and its best to build the box to specs then to go with a prefab box (unless you just have NO choice)... i think that the L7 will sound better with a box built to kickers "compact" ported enclosure specs...



-qs
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,056 Posts
Originally posted by caranto@Aug 8 2005, 01:24 PM~3561741
i know some of you all dont like the squares,but this is what i got.......15"kicker L7,kicker 1200.1  what box do you reccommend...sealed, ported?????i got it in a pre-fab ported box now, but i was just wondering if i could get it to sound better!

i used to have a kicker L7 in my explorer and it was in a lil sealed box and i was pushing it with a 1600 watt rockford all i can say is it hit hard for like 2 weeks and then well you know :angry:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,562 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Originally posted by CuttieBuddie@Aug 8 2005, 03:18 PM~3562110
answering these questions will get you an answer quick...

what style port are you using (slot vented/tube)?

what's the tuning of the box?

whats the volume of the box (cubic feet)?

have you tried it (or heard it) in a sealed box yet? (sealed boxes have less output then ported boxes, but the sealed output is more "tighter/accurate")

what vehicle is it in?

just for your info, kicker L7's are known to get loud but not known to have good sound quality...and its best to build the box to specs then to go with a prefab box (unless you just have NO choice)... i think that the L7 will sound better with a box built to kickers "compact" ported enclosure specs...
-qs
slotted port,1.75 cf. in a van,not tried in a sealed box....it is very loud, but sound quality isnt very good,it could be that the van is rattling so much too....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,581 Posts
well i already found your problem...

1.75cuft. isnt enough for that sub-woofer... the MINIMUM size ported box recommended by kicker for the 05L7 15" is 3.0 cuft.... being that its a prefab box, i will garauntee that the box your using isnt tuned correctly to match that sub...


using peel&seal or dynamat xtreme (sound deadening material) in the doors of your van can eliminate most of your rattling which will allow better bass response and all around output....if you want to be a sound junky, you can remove the panels and carpet, and outline the entire cabin of your van in peel &seal or dyn xtreme....

everything i wrote in this post is why there is no such thing as SQ in your van....

what should you do?

go to home depot or lowes and buy some MDF(Medium Density Fiber) 1" wood, a box of 2.5" - 3" drywall screws, and a couple of tubes of liquid nails...go to google.com and look for a blueprint of a slot vented box sized and tuned to the L7's specs, and build yourself an enclosure...


-qs
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,562 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Originally posted by CuttieBuddie@Aug 9 2005, 08:40 AM~3569475
well i already found your problem...

1.75cuft. isnt enough for that sub-woofer... the MINIMUM size ported box recommended by kicker for the 05L7  15" is 3.0 cuft.... being that its a prefab box, i will garauntee that the box your using isnt tuned correctly to match that sub...
using peel&seal or dynamat xtreme (sound deadening material) in the doors of your van can eliminate most of your rattling which will allow better bass response and all around output....if you want to be a sound junky, you can remove the panels and carpet, and outline the entire cabin of your van in peel &seal or dyn xtreme....

everything i wrote in this post is why there is no such thing as SQ in your van....

what should you do?

go to home depot or lowes and buy some MDF(Medium Density Fiber) 1" wood, a box of 2.5" - 3" drywall screws, and a couple of tubes of liquid nails...go to google.com and look for a blueprint of a slot vented box sized and tuned to the L7's specs, and build yourself an enclosure...
-qs
sorry i gave you the wrong cf. the box measures on the outside 32"wide,18"tall,14"deep....this includes the port .....the port is measured on the inside 2.5wide,16 3/4tall,19"deep....i come up with about 3.6 cf. with the port.. about 3.3 without the port.....
 
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Top