LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How many mods will have to be done to put 18" cylinders & up on a 1964 Impala...I was told you can't put nuthing bigger than 14" on a 1964 Impala but I was looking in LRM and other places and I saw 20" cylinders on a 64 Impala....THANKS
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12,350 Posts
You're going to have to cut out your rear speaker deck for the cylinders to stick through... Not to mention the trailing arm, and drive shaft mods... :biggrin:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Will the cylinders stick through the car so you can see them through the back seats or will they be hidden??!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12,350 Posts
Originally posted by Hi-Lo@Jan 10 2004, 01:25 AM
Will the cylinders stick through the car so you can see them through the back seats or will they be hidden??!!
I'm pretty sure they will be in the back window for everyone to see... :biggrin: I'll let some of these guys that have cars answer your questions... I know more about trucks... :cool:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,652 Posts
talk to badass64,I think he has 20 inch lifts in his 64
 

·
SINGLE PUMP NO WEIGHT
Joined
·
19,175 Posts
Originally posted by Hi-Lo@Jan 9 2004, 11:39 PM
This 63 Impala from LRM has 20" cylinders and they don't stick out...

Yeah....and that car don't LAY down in the back.....not lo-lo (buried) level anyway. Impala's do have more cylinder room in the rear then other makes of cars (i.e. g-bodies, caddys). You can fit a 16 maybe an 18 in the rear and still have it low....however with the movement from the cylinders the axle will shift to the drivers side VERY badly and you will have to get a slipped driveshaft....and more then likely have to make an adjustment on the banana bar.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
OK So thats why I never see Impalas with big cylinders in the back completely lowered..Cause I have a 64 Impala Convertible and I'm go'n to put 18" cylinders in the back...So I won't be able to completely lower the rear???....Cause I don't want the cylinders to be stick'n out in the back...
 

·
SINGLE PUMP NO WEIGHT
Joined
·
19,175 Posts
Nope...you won't be able to have the car sit real low. You will have to run a longer stack of coils in the back to get the cylinders from sticking too far up into the convertible top. They are starting to make telescopic cylinder which will solve this problem...but they are $$$. :cool:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'm go'n to equip my 64 Impala wit Reds Hydraulics...I saw that Reds has 22" Telescopic Cylinders that orginate as 12"..So whats the purpose...Am I go go'n to have to adjust them all the time?..
 

·
SINGLE PUMP NO WEIGHT
Joined
·
19,175 Posts
Originally posted by Hi-Lo@Jan 10 2004, 01:23 AM
I'm go'n to equip my 64 Impala wit Reds Hydraulics...I saw that Reds has 22" Telescopic Cylinders that orginate as 12"..So whats the purpose...Am I go go'n to have to adjust them all the time?..
No no no.....there is no adjustment. The cylinders colapse within themselves. So you WILL be able to get it low and have a great height extension in the rear. :thumbsup:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Oh...Thats COO!!!!...That would work out real good then..Pretty Expensive but I think its worth it...Thanks you've been a real help..
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,430 Posts
got an impala out front with 18 inch cylinders, they are sideport and the rear bumper lays on the ground. The cylinders bump the rear deck alittle but not enough to dent it and poke thru. The car will lift the rear with 10 inches of cylinder and thats it. But it will do a huge 3-wheel using all 18 inches on one side. Also it goes so low the floorboard under the back seat is cut out to left the driveshaft in.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,569 Posts
Originally posted by badass 64@Jan 10 2004, 03:41 PM
i got a 64 impala that lays frame (frame are on the pavement) and locks up +50" in the rear, i run 20" bigdaddy cylinders in the back, it's fully driveable all locked up or fully dumped no problems at all, go here to check out how i did it:

http://www.hicarclub.com/slingshot
uhhmmm, you would need to jack the body up tyo lay the frame, or do you mean the floor supports becasue my control arm touch and my croddmemeber still has over 1" to go and in the back my axl hits the frame and the frame still does not lsy on the ground??
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,083 Posts
Originally posted by skandalouz+Jan 10 2004, 11:45 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (skandalouz @ Jan 10 2004, 11:45 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteBegin--badass 64@Jan 10 2004, 03:41 PM
i got a 64 impala that lays frame (frame are on the pavement) and locks up +50" in the rear, i run 20" bigdaddy cylinders in the back, it's fully driveable all locked up or fully dumped no problems at all, go here to check out how i did it:

http://www.hicarclub.com/slingshot
uhhmmm, you would need to jack the body up tyo lay the frame, or do you mean the floor supports becasue my control arm touch and my croddmemeber still has over 1" to go and in the back my axl hits the frame and the frame still does not lsy on the ground??[/b][/quote]
my car dont get that low in the front cuz of the coils so it hits the frame in the rear just where the trailingarm mounts is... it's on 13"s.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,569 Posts
Originally posted by badass 64+Jan 10 2004, 03:52 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (badass 64 @ Jan 10 2004, 03:52 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by [email protected] 10 2004, 11:45 PM
<!--QuoteBegin--badass 64
@Jan 10 2004, 03:41 PM
i got a 64 impala that lays frame (frame are on the pavement) and locks up +50" in the rear, i run 20" bigdaddy cylinders in the back, it's fully driveable all locked up or fully dumped no problems at all, go here to check out how i did it:

http://www.hicarclub.com/slingshot

uhhmmm, you would need to jack the body up tyo lay the frame, or do you mean the floor supports becasue my control arm touch and my croddmemeber still has over 1" to go and in the back my axl hits the frame and the frame still does not lsy on the ground??
my car dont get that low in the front cuz of the coils so it hits the frame in the rear just where the trailingarm mounts is... it's on 13"s.[/b][/quote]
;)
 
1 - 20 of 39 Posts
Top