LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,737 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a question for anyone who knows. Recently I had a buddy of mine ask me a question about his 62 Impala Rag. He said that his vin # had a 1767 in the vin tag. And his Cowl tag (body by fischer) had a model 1867. On the decoder these numbers show to be the differance between a 6 cyl. rag or an 8 cyl. rag and he was worried because the two tags did not match, he thought someone had tampered with the tags. So to double check he wanted me to take a look at my 62 Impala Rag which I know the history of my car previous owners, ect. I know that my car has never had either tag removed from the body and its OG with OG rivits and clearly hasent been tampered with. And what do I find when I looked at my tag numbers 1867 on trim/cowl tag and 1767 on the vin tag. So does anyone know whats up with this issue or have a good explaination????? Any info would be appreciated. Thanks :cool:

·
Registered
2,673 Posts
I'm not one who likes to write alot but I'll try to explain .
As you may already know that on the VIN the first number is the year the next two are the size of the engine (17 / 18) the next two arethe body style ( 67)
any letter is where it was made and anything after that is the serial number.

The letter is the key.
You mention Fisher, Fisher is subcontractor for many of the car makers like VW.
when the main GM plant starts getting ready to pump out six threes that when Fisher gets the left overs and assembles whats ever it can. That why you see HALF-CARS . Example a 62 with a 61 bubble top , a 68 with 67 taillights
I hope this helps
:scrutinize: :happysad:

·
Premium Member
64,662 Posts
Originally posted by midwest_swang@Mar 9 2010, 07:43 PM~16844621
I have a question for anyone who knows. Recently I had a buddy of mine ask me a question about his 62 Impala Rag. He said that his vin # had a 1767 in the vin tag. And his Cowl tag (body by fischer) had a model 1867. On the decoder these numbers show to be the differance between a 6 cyl. rag or an 8 cyl. rag and he was worried because the two tags did not match, he thought someone had tampered with the tags. So to double check he wanted me to take a look at my 62 Impala Rag which I know the history of my car previous owners, ect. I know that my car has never had either tag removed from the body and its OG with OG rivits and clearly hasent been tampered with. And what do I find when I looked at my tag numbers 1867 on trim/cowl tag and 1767 on the vin tag. So does anyone know whats up with this issue or have a good explaination????? Any info would be appreciated. Thanks  :cool:
ive seen it before too. i think what happened is maybe the cars had cowl tags applied and as the car went down the line when they selected a drivetrain they added the vin. but every 6cyl rag i have seeen has v8 cowl tag also so i wouldnt worry too much

·
NO MORE BS
9,545 Posts
Originally posted by Mr Impala@Mar 13 2010, 07:52 AM~16879365
ive seen it before too. i think what happened is maybe the cars had cowl tags applied and as the car went down the line when they selected a drivetrain they added the vin. but every 6cyl rag i have seeen has v8 cowl tag also so i wouldnt worry too much
Yes, MR Impala is correct..All have the V8 designation on the cowl tags. There is a book I bought a long time ago called Chevrolet by the Numbers..by Alan Colvin..very necessary to know about tags. ;)

·
Registered
3,737 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the replies I knew that this car had it's original tags and i'm 99.9% sure it has the original 327 v8 I ran cast numbers and spoke to both old head owners. Thanks again

·
Registered
604 Posts
That explains why my 63 impala convertible came with a 64 impala front clip! Thanks for this great information. :biggrin:

·
NO MORE BS
9,545 Posts
Originally posted by rc's og 63@Mar 19 2010, 04:48 AM~16935058
That explains why my 63 impala convertible came with a 64 impala front clip! Thanks for this great information.  :biggrin:
what you mean main?? :cool:

·
Premium Member
11,410 Posts
Originally posted by midwest_swang@Mar 9 2010, 10:43 PM~16844621
I have a question for anyone who knows. Recently I had a buddy of mine ask me a question about his 62 Impala Rag. He said that his vin # had a 1767 in the vin tag. And his Cowl tag (body by fischer) had a model 1867. On the decoder these numbers show to be the differance between a 6 cyl. rag or an 8 cyl. rag and he was worried because the two tags did not match, he thought someone had tampered with the tags. So to double check he wanted me to take a look at my 62 Impala Rag which I know the history of my car previous owners, ect. I know that my car has never had either tag removed from the body and its OG with OG rivits and clearly hasent been tampered with. And what do I find when I looked at my tag numbers 1867 on trim/cowl tag and 1767 on the vin tag. So does anyone know whats up with this issue or have a good explaination????? Any info would be appreciated. Thanks  :cool:
Here is my topic to decode them
Decode 57-64 chevy VIN numbers topic

I will look into an answer for you.

·
Registered
604 Posts
Originally posted by Mr Gee@Mar 19 2010, 07:40 PM~16940635
what you mean main??  :cool:
IZa bullshitting about a 64 clip hommie! :biggrin:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts