LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
  1. I found a 1964 Impala that runs and is in decent cosmetic condition. The guy is asking $8000. That seems like a good price, for a running, rust free impala. Are 4 doors considerably less valuable? It also has a 350 motor and trans. This would be my first classic car, and I was wondering what things I should look out for or if there were any buyers guides out there. Sorry if this question has been answered a million times, but I haven't quite figured out how to navigate the forum yet. Thanks!

·
I got the wildstyle
Instragram: Kiloz_One
3,993 Posts
Ah thank you for clarifying. What do people dislike about them? Seems like the price difference is pretty significant.
Coupes are sports cars, sedans are family cars. No one wanted to hook up their family car. The roofs are different. On the bright side most 4 doors had air conditioning, so at least you may have AC. You should check floor boards and trunk. With 350 motor in it obviously someone has worked on it, your your job to see if they half ass the work or did a quality job. If you dont care get the four door, personally id never roll one but if you're cool with it do it. Also if you dont rush it you can find a 2 door for around 10k. Post pictures of the 4 door if you have them, ill pick it apart for you.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Looks nice, engine looks relatively clean. The skirts are cool and its a no post 4 door which is cool. Interior looks decent and the rims/tire package looks cool. Looks like after a solid paint job youd be in good shape.
Thanks. He's asking $7500. Is that a fair price? I know paint could cost well into the thousands, and I don't have a ton of money to play with atm.

·
I got the wildstyle
3,993 Posts
Thanks. He's asking $7500. Is that a fair price? I know paint could cost well into the thousands, and I don't have a ton of money to play with atm.
I think $6500 is a fair offer for it, worst he can say is no. I dont what what part of the US youre in but as long as its not cali you can get a 2 door for $8-10 if you wait.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I think $6500 is a fair offer for it, worst he can say is no. I dont what what part of the US youre in but as long as its not cali you can get a 2 door for $8-10 if you wait.
unfortunately I am in cali. I mainly look at Craigslist. Would buying out of state be a better option?

·
I got the wildstyle
3,993 Posts
unfortunately I am in cali. I mainly look at Craigslist. Would buying out of state be a better option?
New Mexico and Texas are two states with lowriders that are often sold for a lot less then what youd get in CALI. If you can look in that area, I'll so a quick search and post anything I find.

·
Registered
253 Posts
New Mexico and Texas are two states with lowriders that are often sold for a lot less then what youd get in CALI. If you can look in that area, I'll so a quick search and post anything I find.
Being someone who lives in Texas, I know this to be true. New Mexico is great for rust free cars as well as California but Cali cars are usually expensive because of the demand out there.

·
Registered
253 Posts

I like the no post because I think it would dope to eventually set it up like that.
Did you ever make an offer for this car? I personally think it’s a bad idea to dump money in a 4 door because they aren’t desirable and you lose way more money on the sale of a done 4 door vs a done 2 door. But I think this car is clean and for $6,500 (if the guy lets it go for that price) it would be a good car to have fun in and get some classic car experience while you save up for a 2 door, If you want to go that route eventually. You can always sell it and get your money back.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Did you ever make an offer for this car? I personally think it’s a bad idea to dump money in a 4 door because they aren’t desirable and you lose way more money on the sale of a done 4 door vs a done 2 door. But I think this car is clean and for $6,500 (if the guy lets it go for that price) it would be a good car to have fun in and get some classic car experience while you save up for a 2 door, If you want to go that route eventually. You can always sell it and get your money back.
I did not based on the feedback I got here. Thank you all for helping me make my decision. I've been looking in new mexico as well.

·
Registered
253 Posts
I did not based on the feedback I got here. Thank you all for helping me make my decision. I've been looking in new mexico as well.
Yes, it may be true that 4 doors aren’t that desirable but do what makes you happy. Just be aware that when you buy cars out of state there may be some things about the car that you may not see from pictures. Also you won’t be sure how the car runs until you get it.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts