LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner

501 - 520 of 524 Posts

·
Registered
9,565 Posts
I bought a Right Stuff drum to disc conversion kit for the front and back of my 4-door 64 impala and my 13s will not spin on the front without scraping. The back are fine. However, I purchased some 15s instead because the instructions stated that 14s were the minimum they supported and now my rims sit way too far out. When I turn it scrapes the edge of the fender. Anyone have any ideas on how I can fix this without having to buy more rims or new spindles? I just need about 1/2 an inch so that it doesn't scrape the fender when I turn but if I can get an inch that would be much better because I want to cut the coil about 2" to lower the front a bit.

View attachment 1966145

View attachment 1966161
You bought the wrong kit. You need to purchase the scarebird kit.

·
16,068 Posts
I bought a Right Stuff drum to disc conversion kit for the front and back of my 4-door 64 impala and my 13s will not spin on the front without scraping. The back are fine. However, I purchased some 15s instead because the instructions stated that 14s were the minimum they supported and now my rims sit way too far out. When I turn it scrapes the edge of the fender. Anyone have any ideas on how I can fix this without having to buy more rims or new spindles? I just need about 1/2 an inch so that it doesn't scrape the fender when I turn but if I can get an inch that would be much better because I want to cut the coil about 2" to lower the front a bit.

View attachment 1966145

View attachment 1966161
This entire topic says exactly what you need in detail.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Just purchased this front disk brake kit for my 64 Impala with 13" China wire wheels. Anyone else use this kit on their Impala and did you have any problems?
image.jpg

·
16,068 Posts
Just purchased this front disk brake kit for my 64 Impala with 13" China wire wheels. Anyone else use this kit on their Impala and did you have any problems?
View attachment 1966681
That'll work as long as you don't have adjustable suspension due to the brackets pushing the wheels out about 5/8" on each side.

Scarebird is the way to go......

·
Registered
350 Posts
That'll work as long as you don't have adjustable suspension due to the brackets pushing the wheels out about 5/8" on each side.

Scarebird is the way to go......
Looks like the Brake Kit from speedway is going back. I'll purchase the scarebird brackets instead:thumbsup:

·
OLD SCHOOL OG
7,283 Posts
was wondering what's the difference in using the s10 spindle compared to the caprice small spindle?
I have a set of s10 completes laying around but want info before I tear it apart and mess something up.
WILL the s10 work?????????
any info would be great. tying to get this handled and installed this week!!!

******CAN NOT USE FACTORY SPINDLES. I HAD BROKE THEM IN A COLISSION LAST YEAR*****

·
Registered
9,565 Posts
was wondering what's the difference in using the s10 spindle compared to the caprice small spindle?
I have a set of s10 completes laying around but want info before I tear it apart and mess something up.
WILL the s10 work?????????
any info would be great. tying to get this handled and installed this week!!!

******CAN NOT USE FACTORY SPINDLES. I HAD BROKE THEM IN A COLISSION LAST YEAR*****
Yes, S10 will work

·
OLD SCHOOL OG
7,283 Posts
Has any one actually used the s10 spindles to do the
Brake conversion?
Also what's the difference between the s10 and caprice?
I can't use my factory spindle for conversion,
Hence why I'm swapping for s10 or caprice!
Any help would be great!

·
Registered
733 Posts
Has any one actually used the s10 spindles to do the
Brake conversion?
Also what's the difference between the s10 and caprice?
I can't use my factory spindle for conversion,
Hence why I'm swapping for s10 or caprice!
Any help would be great!
Caprice spindles are atleast an inche taller w/an 11" rotor. Which equals taller lock up and more brake surface.

·
OLD SCHOOL OG
7,283 Posts
Caprice spindles are atleast an inche taller w/an 11" rotor. Which equals taller lock up and more brake surface.
But that means my tires will lean way more than the 1.5" extension
I already have now and eat up my tires right?

·
The Peoples Choice
15,823 Posts
Less you're doing full custom car I don't see the need to swap out to disc breaks. Properly adjusted drum brakes work just perfect.

·
16,068 Posts
Less you're doing full custom car I don't see the need to swap out to disc breaks. Properly adjusted drum brakes work just perfect.
For the rear I absolutely agree. Properly adjusted drum brakes get the job done. For the front though, discs stop better, shorter, don't require adjustment, and easier to inspect for wear. The swap made sense to me with having worn shoes and making the switch to power booster/dual master.

·
** 58-64 Rag Impalas **
16,542 Posts
I's agree wif MacMosca! :inout:

·
The Peoples Choice
15,823 Posts
For the rear I absolutely agree. Properly adjusted drum brakes get the job done. For the front though, discs stop better, shorter, don't require adjustment, and easier to inspect for wear. The swap made sense to me with having worn shoes and making the switch to power booster/dual master.
To each their own I suppose. I guess there are certain Lowrider dues that do 80 and 90 miles an hour and need to "stop quicker" or dudes with heavy trunks.

·
OLD SCHOOL OG
7,283 Posts
did the front and rear disk conversion with caprice spindles,
turned out ok.

s10 spindles will NOT work, arm lays on spindle and will not turn,

·
OLD SCHOOL OG
7,283 Posts
501 - 520 of 524 Posts