LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I posted an ad awhile back regarding a 66 impala convertible i have. The frame is rusted bad and needs to be replaced.. I had asked if the frame of a droptop was the same as a convertible.. I had alot of reply by people who said they were the same except a couple different body mount.. well i found that is partly right.. but the frame rails are also 1" wider on a covertible.. so the frame won't work unless you reinforce the rails the length of the rockers... So FYI don't go saying that its the same except a few mounts, because its alot more involved then that...

G

·
Originally posted by SOUP@Sep 2 2005, 08:38 PM~3742380
I posted an ad awhile back regarding a 66 impala convertible i have. The frame is rusted bad and needs to be replaced.. I had asked if the frame of a droptop was the same as a convertible.. I had alot of reply by people who said they were the same except a  couple different body mount.. well i found that is partly right.. but the frame rails are also 1" wider on a covertible.. so the frame won't work unless you reinforce the rails the length of the rockers... So FYI don't go saying that its the same except a few mounts, because its alot more involved then that...

the 1" wider part is because vert frames are reinforced.

you can use a HT frame, all you have to do is add the mounts to the HT frame for the Vert frame.

HT's and Verts use the same floor braces and floors, and the mounting points for both bodys and frames are the same, except the vert has 4 more mounting points.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Exactly, if a vert frame is reinforced by being 1" wider then its not the same frame.. to add theres only two additional mounting points on a drop frame in the center of the frame.. I'm not saying you can't use a HT frame.. you have to just drill a hole in both frame rails at the center point, (these points can be accurately determined by the frame specs in the chassis manual) then you have to weld a piece of steel down the frame to add some strength to the rail. when i get my frame off the drop ill take some pics and post them for all to see the difference..

G

·
Originally posted by SOUP@Sep 3 2005, 02:47 AM~3743981
Exactly, if a vert frame is reinforced by being 1" wider then its not the same frame.. to add theres only two additional mounting points on a drop frame in the center of the frame..  I'm not saying you can't use a HT frame.. you have to just drill a hole in both frame rails at the center point, (these points can be accurately  determined by the frame specs in the chassis manual) then you have to weld a piece of steel down the frame to add some strength to the rail. when i get my frame off the drop ill take some pics and post them for all to see the difference..

one thing to think about.

most people doing full frame wraps for a vert, use a HT frame. reason being is, the HT frame is cleaner and easier to wrap, the vert frame already has reinforcement, but its weak and retains water in the frame. basically a vert frame a gaudy and the HT frames are clean and simple.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You aren't kidding about being cleaner.. the last two HT frames i checked out were spotless.. no rust and hardly any road grime. I am going to use a HT frame but the point of my post was so that anyone intending to do the same thing which is to swap out a vert frame for a HT that they are informed. finding info from someone who has actual first hand experience is priceless. if someone wants a vert frame be prepared to to shell out the cash if you want exact replacement.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Any suggestions on wrapping a HT frame to achieve the strength of a vert frame? my buddy suggested welding a 1/4 x 3 1/2" strap down the side would do it. but the the frame gets its strength from the box. i was always told if your going to weld steel up it makes no sense to weld something of thicker gauge to a thin gauge metal such as welding 1/4 to the 1/8 steel is still going to have the strength of 1/8.. the 1/8 will tear at the weld before the 1/4. so is the better option to box the frame rails w/ 1/8?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts