LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
What’s up everyone. Here’s my 66 Impala. It’s my first chevy and first impala. I bought it December 23, 2019. I decided to name the car lowriding is dead because almost nobody lays their cars all the way anymore. People have gotten so caught up in hopping, 3 wheeling and riding around locked up to show off their chrome undercarriage that they have forgotten all what low and slow is all about. I originally was going to build a 64 and name it that because I felt like to make a statement like that, no other car would do except a 64 that sort of typifies the whole lowrider movement... but I liked the name so much I decided to name my 66 that. I’m not saying that lowriding in its purist form is completely dead. I’m just saying that most “lowriders“ don’t lay their cars. This car and every car I build will lay frame.

This will be a traditonal lowrider. It will be simple and clean. I want to show people that you can have a clean lowrider without chrome undies, engraving, murals, pin striping and a bunch of other stuff on your car. My plans are:
PPG willow green paint, tripple plated bumpers, re polished exterior and interior trim, skirts, accessory bumper guards, 72 spoke straight lace Campbell Zeniths with locking knock offs with extra rim in the trunk, simple 2 pump set up with 4 batteries, stock interior kit, quality sound system, all black suspension and a 15 1/2“ Ted Wells color bar. I hope everyone enjoys the build!

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Here’s some work I had done recently. I bought a 1406 Edelbrock carburetor to go on but my mechanic said it won’t work without making adjustments and buying new parts so I decided to return it. I‘m gonna just pull the stock carburetor, have it rebuilt and put it back in myself.

Attachments

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I won’t make major moves until around July. I plan to get it painted by then. I’ll just collect parts in the meantime. In the video I originally said I was gonna slap some wheels on and cut it but I changed my mind. I’m going to go all the way with this car. If you get an impala you have to FINISH it. I’m learning from my past mistakes. I put wheels and hydraulics on my first lowrider before it was painted. Ain’t doing that again. I’m gonna build this car in proper order. It will teach me to have more patience.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I changed my mind about getting my car painted this July. I‘m gonna wait until spring of 2021. I decided to take to heart the advice an OG lowrider told me when I was building my first car. He said not to dump all your money in your car. “Save it for a rainy day.” So many guys building lowriders dump all their money in their cars. I see it time and time again. They lose their jobs and then their car is for sale for a cheap price... or they die suddenly and their family is trying to raise money for their funeral because they didn’t have enough saved to pay for one because all their money was tied up in their car. I used to be that guy. I’m 33 years old. By the time you reach your thirty’s you should be applying the knowledge and experience you’ve gained in life and becoming wise. While I’ve never had to sell a lowrider or any other car because I fell on hard times, I‘d rather learn from other people’s mistakes.

That being said, I will still be making progress. I will spend the year 2020 collecting parts. I will build this car the SMART way, only spending a fraction of my money on parts so I can continue to have money saved up in case I lose my job or have some kind of emergency. That way I can also collect interest on my money from my credit union. Not trying to make anyone feel guilty, just hoping this would be good advice for someone else :cool:

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
My first goal is to get wheels and hydraulics ordered. I was going to wait until the Christmas sales but I think I’ll go ahead and take advantage of any income tax specials in case prices go up by Christmas. I’m looking to get 5 wheels, 1 for a spare that will go in the trunk. Can’t decide if I will go with WWK or Dayton. I will only get Dayton’s if they are running a special. They need to step their design game up. Wire Wheel King’s wheels are cheaper and look way better. My set up will be a simple lay n’ play one. Was thinking about going with 4 super duty Adex dumps but I want dumps I can actually work on myself, since Andy will void your warranty if you do them yourself. will order more stuff before 2020 ends but don‘t want to spoil it.

·
I got the wildstyle
3,796 Posts
Cant really knock current era cars and just say "simple 2 pump setup" better get more then just a color bar from Ted Wells.

·
I got the wildstyle
3,796 Posts
you're debating about chinas or US built wheels now.... this thread went down the drain fast

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
you're debating about chinas or US built wheels now.... this thread went down the drain fast
Lol why you so negative bro? WWK wheels aren’t China’s, at least to my knowledge. My first set of Wire wheels were 14x7 crosslace WWK. Wire Wheel kings wheels are USA made. The company consists of the original Zenith employees. There’s two things I would never do when it comes to lowriding and that‘s roll chinas or a g body. I’d rather not lowride at all. Not knocking those who do, though. I just wouldn’t do it.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Cant really knock current era cars and just say "simple 2 pump setup" better get more then just a color bar from Ted Wells.
I’m not “knocking” current era cars, as you put it. I’m happy to see the culture grow and people getting their ride on, even if they don‘t build their car they way I would’ve. I’m not the first to say that people have steered away from laying their cars. The OGs have been saying that for a while now. I’m probably just the first to name my car what I named it. I didn’t name it that to upset people. I just want people to think and reflect on how lowriding has changed. The mini truckers lay their trucks more than lowriders do. They are willing to do body drops and everything else to get their ride on the ground. I feel like if we are lowriders we should be doing the same.

·
I got the wildstyle
3,796 Posts
Lol why you so negative bro? WWK wheels aren’t China’s, at least to my knowledge. My first set of Wire wheels were 14x7 crosslace WWK. Wire Wheel kings wheels are USA made. The company consists of the original Zenith employees. There’s two things I would never do when it comes to lowriding and that‘s roll chinas or a g body. I’d rather not lowride at all. Not knocking those who do, though. I just wouldn’t do it.
Forgive my lack of knowledge, I thought they were chinas / china manufactured and aasembeled state side.

·
I got the wildstyle
3,796 Posts
I’m not “knocking” current era cars, as you put it. I’m happy to see the culture grow and people getting their ride on, even if they don‘t build their car they way I would’ve. I’m not the first to say that people have steered away from laying their cars. The OGs have been saying that for a while now. I’m probably just the first to name my car what I named it. I didn’t name it that to upset people. I just want people to think and reflect on how lowriding has changed. The mini truckers lay their trucks more than lowriders do. They are willing to do body drops and everything else to get their ride on the ground. I feel like if we are lowriders we should be doing the same.
I get it homie, im saying if you're building a 70's era build you need to put a lot of thought into your setup. What were you thinking of putting in it? It sounds like you want to build a 70's era car but that was the era of Cragar's & Tru's. But the way you describe what your doing sounds like a lay-n-lay 66. No hate here, just trying to get either a clearer picture or maybe have you rethink the build.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I get it homie, im saying if you're building a 70's era build you need to put a lot of thought into your setup. What were you thinking of putting in it? It sounds like you want to build a 70's era car but that was the era of Cragar's & Tru's. But the way you describe what your doing sounds like a lay-n-lay 66. No hate here, just trying to get either a clearer picture or maybe have you rethink the build.
Trust me, I know all about that old school stuff. That’s where my heart is. I actually Prefer the look of True Spokes and 520s as I had planned on putting those on my Mark V but I think 13“ 72 spoke straight lace wheels look better on impalas. I would do Tru’s on a 69 or 70 impala, though.
I like aircraft hydraulics. I especially love the way Pesco 777s sound . I think they look way better than what’s out now... they are just too slow for me. If I ever did go with that kind of set up it would be in a 58 or a 59. Your set up is clean, though. I like fenner stone too but wouldn‘t want to deal with the headache of finding parts.

·
I got the wildstyle
3,796 Posts
Trust me, I know all about that old school stuff. That’s where my heart is. I actually Prefer the look of True Spokes and 520s as I had planned on putting those on my Mark V but I think 13“ 72 spoke straight lace wheels look better on impalas. I would do Tru’s on a 69 or 70 impala, though.
I like aircraft hydraulics. I especially love the way Pesco 777s sound . I think they look way better than what’s out now... they are just too slow for me. If I ever did go with that kind of set up it would be in a 58 or a 59. Your set up is clean, though. I like fenner stone too but wouldn‘t want to deal with the headache of finding parts.

I have Tru's on mine with (2) 777's. I picked my setup from Ted, and flew back with it as my carry on to the east coast.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

·
I got the wildstyle
3,796 Posts
Yes, I saw parts 1-4 of your YouTube videos with Ted Wells. Clean 64 and set up. What are your plans? Is this your first lowrider? If not, what were your other builds?
Thanks for watching.
I want to build something similar along the lines of what you described. Something that's true to the era when they cars were low. I went with True Spoke wheels, aircraft setup. Im in Cleveland, Ohio so there is snow outside but I have a frame in the yard ill wrapped this year. I just want a clean looking car that lays low.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts