LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner

1 - 20 of 383 Posts

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We'll, I wasnt going to do it but I figured what better place than here. There's no other forums with the support and quantity/quality classics than layitlow! So here it is fellas. I'm in the military, so money is tight. I bought this 67 like 5 months or so ago. The body was straight as an arrow and needed the least restoring out of all the ones I've seen. Plus I like to buy classics that havent been painted so I can see there true condition before its all hidden under all the shine, if you know what I mean. So here is a few pics of the original condition the day I bought it:

I've done very little things to clean it up, let me look for the pics and I'll post them up. Oh, did I forget to mention,...these fuckers are hard to find parts for.

:biggrin:

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Well, after driving it home at about 80 mph for like 4hrs, I got home and popped the hood and heard little noises from here and there and noticed little leaks, all the things that are expected out of a car this old, so I decided just to go for a total rebuild versus buying parts here and there to keep it running. Plus I had dual exhaust put on with two 24" glasspacks. So here's some pics of it during the assembling:

And finally back in the car....

I kept the original Rochester 4 Barrell until it started running like shit(idle and leaking) like 2 days after the engine rebuilt...I think she was jealous of the attention I gave the motor.. :biggrin: ..so I broke up with her and replaced her with an edelbrock! Then the stock air cleaner wouldnt mate with the new Carb so I replaced that too! Man this stuff adds up!

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
After rebuilding the motor and replacing all belts and hoses, I figured I'd take a break to save alittle more money so that I can get it painted...So I attempted to buff the aged paint...bad news. It took forever to make it shine! It made me happy ass hell to see my baby shining but, 1 week later it dulled back up. Here's the pics of it right after I buffed the nose to compare the rest of the car with it:

That was enough of that,..no more buffing. Just going to get it painted! I'll post some pics of it disassembled a bit before I sent it off to a friends house for paint.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Disassembled as much as I could for my homie and still make it drivable to make it to his house without getting impounded.. :cool:

Wow, she's not looking to good stripped. I'm gonna clean her up in the front end and rear as far as any surface rust...until I can afford/have the room to do a full frame off...I figured while he's spraying it I'll just start unanodizing all the trim peices in the front end and wetsanding it and buffing it until I can send it off to chrome...I think I have some progress pics of the car at my homies place...lets see...

:cool:

·
Registered
22,775 Posts
Looking good homie :thumbsup:

·
Candies, flakes & pearls!
15,502 Posts
If theirs anything above 64 I like...it's the 67 fastback. With a paintjob and some rims that car will clean up like a new penny. Are you gonna lift it? And you know I have to ask what the sound system is gonna be?

I like it.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guys! I'm trying to get her as pretty as I can. She has no rust under neath, floor boards are solid, trunk has very minor surface rust in the center of it, but very minor. As much as I like them lifted,..I'm going to have to say "no"...going for a clean cruiser...who knows what might pop up later for a trade or something. As far as sound system...I havent put much thought into it..just I know I'm going for a super clean sound...not going for the SPL monster on the classic...most likely (4) 8" subs, havent decided if I'm going ported or sealed...but whatever it is, the trunk is going to be close to flawless. A set of nice components in the front and a hide-a-away headunit in the glove box.

I just got off ebay...I ordered a SoftSeal weatherstrip kit, brand new with everything you could think of, for $255. What a steal! I also got all the brakes, all the way around, brand new for when it gets back from paint. I'm still looking for some trunk bars for the inside of the trunk...to hold the lid up. One's missing and it doesnt stay up.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Originally posted by Crenshaw's Finest@Jul 27 2006, 09:08 PM~5856209
Cool. Sounds like you got some exeperiance doing this.
Trying to do what I can..you know. Its a slow process,...time and money..especially when you want this done right. I think I'm going to order the floor carpet, mats, and 100 sq' of dynamat next week.

:cool:

·
Registered
6,787 Posts
very clean car,,

and your right , 67 are HARD to find parts for

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'm back! I'm posting some of the pics of the 67 in the bodywork stage. If you look close all the bodywork is real thin, some parts are almost transparent.. :biggrin: The only area that needed bondo was the spots where he welded the 1/8" holes left behind after taking off the upper aftermarket rubber moldings(rivet holes) that someone put on before me, and the drivers fender there was a little bodywork done previously, so he just straightened it out and left it. Then he used a long board sander and started going over the whole car to make it perfectly straight and, he did a little work on the stock lead work where the rear quarters meet with the roof...its gotta be perfect before paint! So here they go:

And now that he straightened that out, its time to hit it with some PPG buildable primer and dry block..and repeat until straight as an arrow!

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks again. As of right now my homie got done blocking the second thin application of primer...its almost time for some color. Until then, this is what I'm going to do...polish all the nicked aluminum trim...its alot of hard work sanding all the parts from 220-2500 grit then polishing but someone has to do it. And I'm not ready to pay for chroming yet. Heres some before and after pics of what I got done so far:

BEFORE:

AFTER:

Working on the grill now...

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Its not happening as fast as the pics being uploaded...I wish.

:biggrin:

·
Man on a mission
54,031 Posts
nice build up man ........

1 - 20 of 383 Posts