LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
4,460 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK. Im having trouble w/ my truck. Unitl about 3 weeks ago it started fine after about 4 cranks and some pump'n on the gas. I accidently ran outta gas one day. Filled it up...and it wouldnt start. So I put some gas in the carbchoke and started it that way.
Well recently if the truck sits for a day it wont start. I have to prime the choke w/ gas and it starts.Its a pain in the ass. no matter how much I pump the gas pedal it wont start unless I prime it...whats the deal? I dont know if it has to do w/ the recent cold temperatures of b/c I ran it outta gas the other day?
its a 350 quadrajet...any ideas?

·
Registered
4,460 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I cleaned the carb out w/ some Gumout spray hoping it was just dirty w/ suet...I dont have a chiltons guide or anything so any ideas are appreciated.

·
Registered
4,460 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Shit. Sounds easy enough but Id like to see Fred flintstone get a chevy 1/2 ton outta a parallel parked spot between to cars...Ill stick w/ priming it for now? :angry: Help? :uh:

·
Registered
4,460 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The more Im think about it the more you may be right! I already took the A/C out...removed the bed and made a wooden flatbed outta it...mightas well rip the engine out too eh? :thumbsup: :twak:

A

·
0 Posts
Hey there,

Well, before you rip the engine out, cut a hole in the floor pan, you might want to look at the details. A very cold climate can defenitly make starting tough, but then again it doesn't get that cold in So. Cal. try using starting fluid or check to see that your electronic chock is functioning right, But what I'm thinking is that you check the fuel filter(s) on your Truck. That could be it, minor things you have to look at...let me know how it works out.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I would buy a new fuel pump and filter it sounds like your fuel pump is out i had the same problem till i replaced the pump now im cruzin. Good luck Riddla

Last edited by RIDDLA at Nov 10 2003, 08:39 PM

·
Registered
4,460 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
but if its the fuel pump wouldnt the truck not run? Ill check the filter out! Its never been bad in cold weather before...just hafta baby it :angry:

·
Registered
2,523 Posts
Never ever let your car run out of gas all the way. There is shit floating around at the bottom of the gas tank and fuel bowls. These are never a factor untill it gets low and this shit gets sucked up in the lines, fuel pump, filter and carb. Just pray it all got stuck in the filter and not passed it. Replace the filter and see how it is.

·
Premium Member
11,540 Posts
Originally posted by titoislaidlow@Nov 10 2003, 11:11 PM
but if its the fuel pump wouldnt the truck not run? Ill check the filter out! Its never been bad in cold weather before...just hafta baby it :angry:
Rob, the filter for that carb is located on the fuel line inlet. It screws into the front of the carb. Unscrew it and you'll see an inline fuel filter there. You may also have another filter that is visable going to the carb, but don't forget about the internal one that I mentioned.

May be time for a rebuild on the carb, give me a call if u need a hand :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
Originally posted by 1LOWCHERO@Nov 11 2003, 08:31 AM
Never ever let your car run out of gas all the way. There is shit floating around at the bottom of the gas tank and fuel bowls. These are never a factor untill it gets low and this shit gets sucked up in the lines, fuel pump, filter and carb. Just pray it all got stuck in the filter and not passed it. Replace the filter and see how it is.
exactly! :cool:

·
Registered
97 Posts
Originally posted by titoislaidlow@Nov 10 2003, 10:11 PM
no the engine will run but stall out it could be a weak spring or diaghrapm.(spellcheck lol) I had the same problem with mine, bought a new pump now its gone
hey every car is different que no good luck hope you get it fixed Riddla

A

·
0 Posts
Hey there,

One thing you can try before you decide to change the fuel pump is to buy an electric fuel pump from the auto parts store. bypass the fuel pump. all you need is some fuel line hose and two wires going from the battery's positive terminal and the other to a grounding source (the truck body). you can run your truck and see if that's the problem. but before you do that, check and change all the fuel filters. If things are the same and you eventually decide to change out the fuel pump, let me know, There's a neat trick to hold the fuel pump rod in place while you change out pumps (if you don't know already). otherwise you'll be cooked trying to change it out.
Let me know how things work out.

Tim

·
Registered
4,460 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
yea, mechanical fuel pumps are a bitch...those rods suck...been there before so I was hoping it was something other than that. Im gonna change out the filters and see where that gets me. I still drive the truck it just wont start w/o some help. Ill start small and work my way from there...thanks for all the responses.

-Joe-its a quadrajet. I tinkered w/ it and its a pain in the ass. Plus a 3speed go figure...great on gas!! :thumbsup: :angry: When I get on the gas it starts to bog down in the high rpms. So I just baby her.

Thanks alot...tito

·
Registered
6,840 Posts
check your fuel filter----most of the time when you run out of gas and then pump and pump and pump to get the new gas up th the carb you disturb all the sediment on the bottom of your tank------check your fuel filter---might need replacing----peace

·
Registered
4,460 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Originally posted by lowriderlife@Nov 11 2003, 09:25 PM
check your fuel filter----most of the time when you run out of gas and then pump and pump and pump to get the new gas up th the carb you disturb all the sediment on the bottom of your tank------check your fuel filter---might need replacing----peace
Im on it...thanks man. :)

·
Premium Member
11,540 Posts
Originally posted by titoislaidlow@Nov 11 2003, 02:17 PM

-Joe-its a quadrajet. I tinkered w/ it and its a pain in the ass. Plus a 3speed go figure...great on gas!! :thumbsup: :angry: When I get on the gas it starts to bog down in the high rpms. So I just baby her.

Thanks alot...tito
Quadrajunk? :roflmao: lol

Start with the fuel filter(s)......the fuel pump's not that bad to change and its only like $20 or less. But I'm guessing its time for a rebuild. A rebuild kit is only $15. Take it apart, put it back together, its not that bad :)

·
Registered
4,460 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Quadrajunk no shit. Ok, replaced the filter going to the carb. Still wont start. I cleaned the carb out again w/ some gumout. The old filter was not too dirty and it was soaked in gas. So does that mean my problem lies between the filter and the carb?..because the old filter was soaked w/ gas that must mean its get'n there...just not into the carb? Go figure...ideas? :(

1 - 20 of 24 Posts