LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,151 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey

I've got the stock suspension setup on my 1980 Fleetwood Brougham, and apparently it has the back air ride system (the back air shocks are supposed to have sensors to inflate and deflate according to how much weight is put on the back shocks... to always keep the car level). Anyway, the system's obviously not working, because if i put two people in the back seat and i drive every slight hump i go over on the street the whole back scrapes the ground, so i'm forced to have no one in the back seat, which kind of defeats the purpose of having a cadillac, but oh well.

Now i know it's the automatic inflating one, cause when i open the hood at the back right (by the master cylinder) there's two cylinder things, i assume one's the compressor, and one's the air thingy... what should i do to go about testing what's not working with the system? what should it do, when should it do it, and how can i look (without paying a fucking mechanic at $75.00 to fix it) and see what's wrong with it and what i need to replace?

Thanks a lot

Regards
~Lorenzo

·
Face Puncher
25,975 Posts
try to apply power directly to the compressor, bypassing any of the circuitry in the auto level system. If the car lifts up, you can then install a switch in the dash to power the compressor if you are just looking for a quick fix..

·
Registered
2,151 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
checked the fuses.

there's a lot of stuff going to and from the compressor, which one do i hook power to?

could it be the sensors not telling the compressor to turn on?

·
Face Puncher
25,975 Posts
it could be anything, really...

I would try to locate an electrical schematic for your car so you can determine what wires do what. Then start testing shit out..

·
Registered
489 Posts
fuck the compressor and all that shit. check out JC Whitney and get some Gabriel bolt in air shocks. Bolt them in and install some flexible air line with an air valve (like on your tire) and fill them up at a gas station! On my caddy there like 4 years old or more and still hold air real good, check em like once a month........
BUT i think you have bigger problem, the shocks should not be the only thing supporting the back half of that big ass caddy, check your springs, they might be collapsed. also check your body your body mounts.

·
Registered
6,421 Posts
i'd pay 75 or go to pepboyz and pay 50 for a set of air shocks :biggrin:

·
Registered
3,258 Posts
if its the same as my 88' there should be one wire that comes from the compressor thats not hooked up to anything (i think mine is yellow with a black clip on the end of it, i can check later today to find out for sure) but if you ground that wire it sould bypass the auto level switch and turn the compressor on
also check to make sure you have air shocks in the back not that someone swaped them out and put reg. shocks in

·
Registered
2,151 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Originally posted by RollinSlow84@Sep 4 2003, 07:10 PM
fuck the compressor and all that shit. check out JC Whitney and get some Gabriel bolt in air shocks. Bolt them in and install some flexible air line with an air valve (like on your tire) and fill them up at a gas station
that's pretty ghetto. if i HAVE to do that, i'll put a compressor in the trunk and a window switch under the dash to inflate or deflate the shocks manually...

·
Registered
489 Posts
Originally posted by Stealth+Sep 5 2003, 03:04 PM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Stealth @ Sep 5 2003, 03:04 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteBegin--RollinSlow84@Sep 4 2003, 07:10 PM
fuck the compressor and all that shit.  check out JC Whitney and get some Gabriel bolt in air shocks.  Bolt them in and install some flexible air line with an air valve (like on your tire) and fill them up at a gas station
that's pretty ghetto. if i HAVE to do that, i'll put a compressor in the trunk and a window switch under the dash to inflate or deflate the shocks manually...[/b][/quote]
that shit aint getto cuz... its get the job done right, you aint gotta worry about shit breakin or the compressor overheating in your trunk and setting your shit on fire.

·
Registered
99 Posts
if the compressor is pumping and its not lifting than it might be the adjusting sensor in the rear. just follow the air lines from the rear shocks and thats the sensor if you unplug the wire and push the bar all the way up then plug the sensor back in the car should pump air to raise the rear it kind of looks juiced if you got rims this might solve your problem as long as the pump works

·
Registered
13,248 Posts
check your actuators, and you most likely have a leak.

:cheesy: ,

cc

1 - 15 of 15 Posts