LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a 1991 caprice that had sat for about 3 1/2 years. I did some work including cap & rotor, plug wires, o2 sensor, high flow cat, and the car still runs rich ive ran some sea foam through the gas as well.

any ideas....................shit is pissing me off :angry:

·
Premium Member
34,400 Posts
Originally posted by Samuel_J@Sep 25 2006, 11:39 AM~6239932
i have a 1991 caprice that had sat for about 3 1/2 years. I did some work including cap & rotor, plug wires, o2 sensor, high flow cat, and the car still runs rich ive ran some sea foam through the gas as well.

any ideas....................shit is pissing me off :angry:
check maybe the TPS

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Originally posted by Foompla+Sep 25 2006, 11:59 AM~6240001-->
you ahve any coolant in the car?
[/b]
Yes it is full

<!--QuoteBegin-blueouija
@Sep 25 2006, 01:57 PM~6240683
check maybe the TPS
thats one of the things im suspecting as well just have not checked it yet

·
Premium Member
34,400 Posts
Originally posted by Samuel_J@Sep 25 2006, 04:18 PM~6241517
Yes it is full
thats one of the things im suspecting as well just have not checked it yet

ALso Check your timing bro.... My 91 we couldn't figure out what was happening after we replaced the engine.... every time you were cruising along on the highway and romp the gas the car would suddenly run like ass and start doing 30 on the freeway... big loss of power.. the diagnostic tool said the car was running rich...

so after a huge several week long process of elimination my friend subscribes to a site for mechanics that has suggested fixes for all sorts of problems... come to find out tons of 91's have this problem.... and the fix was as simple as advancing the timing 8-10 degrees... It runs like a dream now and the diagnostic tool says the car is running lean

·
Registered
8,700 Posts
Originally posted by Foompla@Sep 25 2006, 09:59 AM~6240001
you ahve any coolant in the car?
Very good thought. The cooling system is exactly what I would be looking at, more specifically the cooling temp sensor........

Very common problem on alot of Chevy's, the coolant temp sensor goes bad and reads the wrong temp thinking its colder and causing it to dump extra fuel to warm it up. The good news is the part is like 7 bucks and it screws into the intake manifold and is usually easy to get at.

For under 10 bucks I would just replace it and see how it acts. I had a 90 Chevy that ran real rich for years, I replaced that part and it fixed it right up.

·
Registered
15,195 Posts
Originally posted by ALOW1@Sep 27 2006, 06:40 PM~6257269
Very good thought. The cooling system is exactly what I would be looking at, more specifically the cooling temp sensor........

Very common problem on alot of Chevy's, the coolant temp sensor goes bad and  reads the wrong temp thinking its colder and causing it to dump extra fuel to warm it up.  The good news is the part is like 7 bucks and it screws into the intake manifold and is usually easy to get at.

For under 10 bucks I would just replace it and see how it acts. I had a 90 Chevy that ran real rich for years, I replaced that part and it fixed it right up.
a buddy of mine had an astro van that kept flooding out the motor! turns out the coolant sensor circuit was shorted to ground :cool:

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
ill check the sensor as well when i get to look at it again this weekend, thanks for the heads up also check timing

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
:angry:

So i get a chance to work on the car today it was running so i buy a idle throttle postion sensor and idle air control valve and had to track a gasket set for the tbi and put everything together go to prime the system and gas sprays 3ft in front on the car from the tbi after disassembling the tbi one of the injector sleeves is missing a chunk i think this could have been the area that caused the car to run rich because it must have be a minor crack that was dripping adding gas to that side and it just gave out and broke during the removal and reinstall of the top of the tbi :angry:

luckly i have a another 91 to steal the top half of the tbi to see if the prob is solved this tbi :cheesy:

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
so i got the tbi back together and the car running but .......... fucking thing still runs rich!!!!!!!!!!! :angry: :angry:
anyone have any other ideas because untill i get the engine running right then i cant start on the fun stuff like redoing my setup and building my interior

HELP

·
Premium Member
34,400 Posts
Originally posted by Samuel_J@Oct 13 2006, 02:57 PM~6363023
so i got the tbi back together and the car running but .......... fucking thing still runs rich!!!!!!!!!!! :angry:  :angry:
anyone have any other ideas because untill i get the engine running right then i cant start on the fun stuff like redoing my setup and building my interior

HELP

try advancing the timing 8-10 degrees.....

·
Registered
24,862 Posts
Originally posted by blueouija@Sep 27 2006, 03:27 PM~6256097
ALso Check your timing bro.... My 91 we couldn't figure out what was happening after we replaced the engine.... every time you were cruising along on the highway and romp the gas the car would suddenly run like ass and start doing 30 on the freeway... big loss of power.. the diagnostic tool said the car was running rich...
so after a huge several week long process of elimination my friend subscribes to a site for mechanics that has suggested fixes for all sorts of problems... come to find out tons of 91's have this problem.... and the fix was as simple as advancing the timing 8-10 degrees... It runs like a dream now and the diagnostic tool says the car is running lean
is that where your timing is now?(8-10)
im at 8btdc and running rich, but i have a homeboy with a similar engine and says hes more advanced than me.... i was gonna bump the timing back a little and go from there...

·
Registered
24,862 Posts
Originally posted by blueouija@Oct 13 2006, 07:19 PM~6364176
try advancing the timing 8-10 degrees.....
i agree, very quick and easy fix.. if it doesnt work 100%, you can change it just as easily..

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
i agree, very quick and easy fix.. if it doesnt work 100%, you can change it just as easily..
ill try that later this week when i get a chance to fool with it good looking mane

·
Premium Member
34,400 Posts
Originally posted by biggeazy-e@Oct 13 2006, 06:36 PM~6364260
is that where your timing is now?(8-10)
im at 8btdc and running rich, but i have a homeboy with a similar engine and says hes more advanced than me.... i was gonna bump the timing back a little and go from there...

I was at 10 and the original problem went away, BUT I found it was running like ass at idle so now we turned it back to 8 and it seems to be running decent at idle and the original problem hasn't came back. I'm going to keep backing the timing until I have a nice idle and the original problem dosn't come back , I hope

The funny thing is the books call for TDC on a 91 caprice but when you rep[lace a engine you end up advancing the timing....???? That dosn't make any sense to me but it works.

·
Registered
24,862 Posts
Originally posted by blueouija@Oct 15 2006, 12:47 PM~6372208
I was at 10 and the original problem went away, BUT I found it was running like ass at idle so now we turned it back to 8 and it seems to be running decent at idle and the original problem hasn't came back. I'm going to keep backing the timing until I have a nice idle and the original problem dosn't come back , I hope
The funny thing is the books call for TDC on a 91 caprice but when you rep[lace a engine you end up advancing the timing....???? That dosn't make any sense to me but it works.
yeah, mine is at 8-10 now idling high, but the cam is 4* advanced, so i was wondering if i should be at 6=10

make sense?? lol

·
Premium Member
34,400 Posts
Originally posted by biggeazy-e@Oct 15 2006, 01:29 PM~6372549
yeah, mine is at 8-10 now idling high, but the cam is 4* advanced, so i was wondering if i should be at 6=10

make sense?? lol

?? try bumping it back a hair

·
Registered
15,195 Posts
Originally posted by biggeazy-e@Oct 15 2006, 03:29 PM~6372549

make sense?? lol
no

it doesnt work like that.

intial timing should be 6-10, total timing should be 28-32. total timing matters, not initial as much

·
Registered
24,862 Posts
Originally posted by Foompla@Oct 15 2006, 04:45 PM~6372909
no
it doesnt work like that.

intial timing should be 6-10, total timing should be 28-32.  total timing matters, not initial as much
whoa, whoa, whoa there buddy.....

initial timing= "base timing", right ( idle, vacuum disconnected, etc)
total timing=vacuum connected, car accelerating/(not idling), right?

·
Registered
15,195 Posts
Originally posted by biggeazy-e@Oct 15 2006, 06:23 PM~6373040
whoa, whoa, whoa there buddy.....

initial timing= "base timing", right ( idle, vacuum disconnected, etc)
total timing=vacuum connected, car accelerating/(not idling), right?
base timing is at idle. total timing is how high it goes when you rev it up.

cam timing doesnt have to do with your ignition timing.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts