LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey. i swapped a 93 chevy 350 from a 1993 brougham which had fuel injection into an 87' caprice with a carb. the engine won't start i think because its not getting fuel. i looked at the camshaft out of the 93' and it has the extra lobe to drive the fuel pump, i think anyway.... the lobe is a circle and has some rough edges on it. my question is, does that camshaft out of the 93' 350 have what it needs to drive a mechanical fuel pump? i didnot pull the cam out of the 305 from the caprice to compare. also when i puor fuel down the carb, it still doesn't fire, not even a little. the spark plugs have spark, and most of the emission shit has been removed or disconected. any ideas before i go nuts. thanks.

·
Registered
6,484 Posts
for starters u need the push rod that goes inside the block to run the mechanical fuel pump.......

do you have a vacumm advanced HEI distributor to work with the carb???
if so is the hot wire making connection where it plugs in the coil??

regardless if u pour gas in the carb its supposed to fire. sounds like a fire problem to me....

check ur plugs, dont use that autolite shyt.....put bosch platinum plugs in it, thats
all i run in all my v-8s they start every time!!

just troubleshoot and keep us updated

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
update: i pulled the old cam out of the carburated engine and the lobe for the mechanical fuel pump does not look like the one from the 93' 350.

So FYI if you're gonna put a newer fuel injected engine into an older one and keep the carb you have to buy an electric fuel pump.

I ordered an electric pump and should have it in and installed tomorrow. i double checked my firing order and some wires were crossed but still when i put gas down the carb it still doesnt light. I get backfire through the carb which is a good sign that i have some sort of some combustion going on. The distributer is the original one out of the caprice and its good, gets power and the coil also checks good. The carburater is a factory q-jet, i took off all the emissions shit and now i have to plug up all those vacume holes which is another thing that i think is adding to the problem.

The funny thing is i bought this caprice coupe as a beater and in the past week i've put more money and time into it then in my project coupe deville. go figure huh. i'll keep the updates coming because this shits been driving me nuts and i couldn't find good info so i figure i might be helping someone out...

·
Registered
6,484 Posts
update: i pulled the old cam out of the carburated engine and the lobe for the mechanical fuel pump does not look like the one from the 93' 350.

So FYI if you're gonna put a newer fuel injected engine into an older one and keep the carb you have to buy an electric fuel pump.

I ordered an electric pump and should have it in and installed tomorrow. i double checked my firing order and some wires were crossed but still when i put gas down the carb it still doesnt light. I get backfire through the carb which is a good sign that i have some sort of some combustion going on. The distributer is the original one out of the caprice and its good, gets power and the coil also checks good. The carburater is a factory q-jet, i took off all the emissions shit and now i have to plug up all those vacume holes which is another thing that i think is adding to the problem.

The funny thing is i bought this caprice coupe as a beater and in the past week i've put more money and time into it then in my project coupe deville. go figure huh. i'll keep the updates coming because this shits been driving me nuts and i couldn't find good info so i figure i might be helping someone out...

if u have backfire thats good,,,but not good enough it still hasn't started!!!!! when u pour gas in the carb it shoud still fire it just wont run because fuel isn't being pumped in it...... 1-8-4-3-6-5-7-2.........what style dostributor is in there?? computer controlled or vacuum controlled?

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
its a computer controlled distributer. its the original one out of the 87 caprice. I installed the electric fuel pump and now im getting gas but it still doesnt want to catch. It turned over on its own for about 3 seconds... then i adjusted the distibuter and lost it, nothing else since then. today i'm gonna rotate the engine over till the number cylinder is at TDC pull out the distributer line it up at no.1 stick it back in and take it from there. I don't know what else to do if that dont work.

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
still nothing. next step putting in a new ingnition control module.

if that don't work you'll see it for sale here.

·
Registered
8,700 Posts
Originally posted by RollinSlow84+Oct 14 2006, 07:52 AM~6367298-->
its a computer controlled distributer.  its the original one out of the 87 caprice.  I installed the electric fuel pump and now im getting gas but it still doesnt want to catch.  It turned over on its own for about 3 seconds...  then i adjusted the distibuter and lost it, nothing else since then.  today i'm gonna rotate the engine over till the number cylinder is at TDC pull out the distributer line it up at no.1 stick it back in and take it from there.  I don't know what else to do if that dont work.
[/b]

<!--QuoteBegin-Jason2153
@Oct 14 2006, 08:47 AM~6367427
i think you need a vacuum advance distributor...?

If your going to pull the dist. out of there why dont you drop the caprice dist. in there? You need a vacuum advance distributor anyways....

1 - 10 of 10 Posts