LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a radio/cassette/ CD player off ebay to put in my '90 Cadillac Brougham but after I got the CD player installed I found out that the CD player dosent work :angry: the radio and cassette player work but not the CD player... and I bought it because I wanted to play CDs. when I put one in it holds it in for 5 to 10 seconds and then ejects it and the clock screen says "Err" anybody have any Idea whats rong with it? any way to fix it? and don't say throw it out, I spent $100 on it.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I thought of that too, but this wont play any CDs. thanks anyway though.

·
Registered
21 Posts
the lens that reads the disc maybe scratched, that would do it, but i dunno if their is anyplace to get it fixed, im sure there is but i dont know of 1 srry
hope it helps

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah I was sort of thinking that it might be the lens(shit).

·
Registered
562 Posts
Originally posted by fourdrvet@Jul 29 2005, 07:32 AM
just a guess
but poosible is has security code and won't work until code is entered

maybe
[snapback]3503093[/snapback]​
As far as I know GM still doesn't have security codes much less 11 years ago. Most times if a radio is "locked" from a security code it won't do anything.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Originally posted by 1lowimpala@Jul 29 2005, 03:20 AM
maybe you had a cd-r disc and that deck doesnt play those type of cds?
[snapback]3502793[/snapback]​
naw man, I tryed all kinds of CDs and none of them worked.

·
Registered
2,337 Posts
i replaced my factory unit with a aftermarket one the dealership is going to want 100 dallors to look at the deck that includes taking it out and putting back in car new ac delco i was told 800.00 you got a deal at 100.00 thats probably why it was on e-bay. i had the same error message.

·
Premium Member
11,540 Posts
Originally posted by quadmasta@Jul 29 2005, 12:53 PM
As far as I know GM still doesn't have security codes much less 11 years ago.  Most times if a radio is "locked" from a security code it won't do anything.
[snapback]3504576[/snapback]​
its a good thing you don't install for a living anymore

haven't you heard of "theftlock"? :cheesy: its GM "security code"

and just so you know, now all radios are on serial communication busses like GM's ClassII and in 07 it will be GMLAN. The main computer sends a VIN to the radio which is learned and then cannot be used in any other vehicle......unless you know how to clear the VIN like I do ;)

·
Premium Member
8,025 Posts
Originally posted by Joe5pt0@Aug 1 2005, 01:34 AM

haven't you heard of "theftlock"?  :cheesy:  its GM "security code"

and just so you know, now all radios are on serial communication busses like GM's ClassII and in 07 it will be GMLAN. The main computer sends a VIN to the radio which is learned and then cannot be used in any other vehicle......unless you know how to clear the VIN like I do ;)
[snapback]3518332[/snapback]​
And this man KNOWS, trust me... ;)

·
Registered
562 Posts
Originally posted by Joe5pt0@Jul 31 2005, 11:34 PM

haven't you heard of "theftlock"?  :cheesy:  its GM "security code"

[snapback]3518332[/snapback]​
I never installed a radio in any GM newer than 04. I now know about Theftlock :)

·
Premium Member
11,540 Posts
Originally posted by quadmasta@Aug 1 2005, 07:25 AM
I never installed a radio in any GM newer than 04.  I now know about Theftlock :)
[snapback]3519131[/snapback]​
Huh, thats funny because GM has been using Theftlock on certain radios since the 90s...like 94 or 95. And the VIN style has been out since 02. At Advance Auto, we had a cigarette lighter deal we plugged in when we changed batteries for people with Theftlock so we didn't lock their radios. And this was back in 99-01 so we were changing batts in 94 or 95 cars.....

So, its safe to say your experience with GM is minimal at best. Perhaps you should have put 94 up there in your reply. :biggrin:

·
Registered
562 Posts
Originally posted by Joe5pt0@Aug 1 2005, 06:46 AM
Huh, thats funny because GM has been using Theftlock on certain radios since the 90s...like 94 or 95. And the VIN style has been out since 02.  At Advance Auto, we had a cigarette lighter deal we plugged in when we changed batteries for people with Theftlock so we didn't lock their radios. And this was back in 99-01 so we were changing batts in 94 or 95 cars.....

So, its safe to say your experience with GM is minimal at best. Perhaps you should have put 94 up there in your reply.  :biggrin:
[snapback]3519169[/snapback]​
I never ran into any problems with a radio not working after I plugged it back in. I used to do overheads in GM SUVs all the time and I unplugged the radios to hook up the modulators.

How did the cigarette lighter thing work? Was it like a jump box that just supplied power to the system through the cig lighter?

·
Premium Member
11,540 Posts
Originally posted by quadmasta@Aug 1 2005, 07:48 AM
I never ran into any problems with a radio not working after I plugged it back in.  I used to do overheads in GM SUVs all the time and I unplugged the radios to hook up the modulators. 

How did the cigarette lighter thing work?  Was it like a jump box that just supplied power to the system through the cig lighter?
[snapback]3519174[/snapback]​
yeah it was basically just a 9V battery, enough the keep the radio "alive" while changing the car battery

·
Registered
562 Posts
Originally posted by Joe5pt0@Aug 1 2005, 06:54 AM
yeah it was basically just a 9V battery, enough the keep the radio "alive" while changing the car battery
[snapback]3519184[/snapback]​
That's pretty cool and it's a good idea too.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Originally posted by avengemydeath@Jul 31 2005, 10:24 PM
Maybe it is not reading it cause the CD lens is dirty, try using a CD lens cleaner.
[snapback]3518287[/snapback]​
I tryed a CD lens cleaner and it did the same thing with it.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts