LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner
1 - 20 of 164 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey I just bought a 1995 Impala SS with over 200K miles on it. I brought it down to my regular mechanic and got a bunch of hoses changed and the transmission flushed, etc. I want to know if anyone has any ideas as to what kind of problems I should be looking for, what I should have my mechanic look out for, and what are some steps I can take to keep my engine, trans and all in good condition. I want to make sure It's gonna be reliable for awhile before I start spending my money on paint/rims/sound etc....

any tips, advice, ideas, anything I'd appreciate it. Thanks.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,928 Posts
HAHA whats up homie!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,286 Posts
when i buy a new/used car i always check/change plugs/wires.. filters.. i would use the platnum plugs if ur changin them. check all fluids..change oil because u dont kno when it was changed... its always good to put some injector cleaner in too especially on a car wit 200+k..
Dont fix things that arent broken... have ur mechanic check the tranny fluid and see if it smells burnt... I jus bought a 96 SS wit 18xxx on it and the tranny was already burnt. had to have it rebuilt for 2000 dollars... have the mechanic test drive it and tell u problems and let me kno
 

·
Triple OG
Joined
·
11,047 Posts
I just bought a 96 9c1 with 85000 on it. Does the ss have the green hoses? If so those are supposed to be lifetime.

like they said do the basics...plugs/wires, injector cleaner, filters, oil change, check fluids, ect.
If you want to go deeper do a compression test on the cylinders while you have the plugs out to make sure you don't have a weak cylinder.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hey thanks for the info. I'll probably go up on Friday and get an oil change, I bought some injector cleaner so the next time i fill up I'll throw some of that in. I might have them do a compression test soon, too.

And you're scaring me about the transmission, but my mech said it was in good shape. I'm probably going to take that thing into the shop on a weekly basis just for diagnostics and checks, so I'll know immediately if it's burning trans. fluid.

So far it's running pretty good since my mechanic did all that work with the hoses and such. But I'm having problems starting it, after it's been cold for awhile. It tries to turn over for awhile, then eventually it engages. It only does this after it's been sitting for awhile, like 4-5 hours or more, and it usually starts after a couple tries. I'm thinking it's the fuel pump or maybe a dirty injector, but if you guys have any ideas I'd love to hear em.

And no it didnt have green hoses, but I'll ask my mechanic if he knows anything about that, I'll fork over cash to get those installed if they're guaranteed lifetime.

I think the last owner did alot of work to the engine and transmission though, alot of that shit looks fairly new. But then again I know almost nothing about engines, so....

Also, anyone in the LA area that knows some good shops that maybe specialize in that kind of stuff? My usual shop is really trustworthy and honest and they've always taken care of me with my previous car, but this Impala is the car of my dreams and I will spare no expense in getting this thing in perfect condition, and I want to take it to someone with alot of expertise with these.....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
24,862 Posts
Originally posted by concrete@Sep 10 2006, 03:13 PM~6142326
I just bought a 96 9c1 with 85000 on it. Does the ss have the green hoses? If so those are supposed to be lifetime.

ive always hated the look of those hoses
 

·
SPELL CHECK
Joined
·
21,743 Posts
Originally posted by concrete@Sep 10 2006, 12:13 PM~6142326
I just bought a 96 9c1 with 85000 on it. Does the ss have the green hoses? If so those are supposed to be lifetime.

like they said do the basics...plugs/wires, injector cleaner, filters, oil change, check fluids, ect.
If you want to go deeper do a compression test on the cylinders while you have the plugs out to make sure you don't have a weak cylinder.
The green hoses were only on the 9C1 (cop) cars, not on the SS. You could find some at a junkyard and clean them up, but why bother? They're pretty ugly anyway.

Keep an eye on the transmission, unless it's been recently rebuilt. It's rare to see a 4L60E go much further past 100,000 miles, unless it's almost exclusively highway miles. My Cadillac has 123,000 miles on it now and the transmission is still good due to my good maintenance and a lot of highway driving, but I plan on a rebuild before too long. Just keep up on your fluid and filter change, and make sure the transmission cooler and the hard lines to it are good.

Optisparks usually don't last that long too. Do you have maintenence records for the car? I'm curious to know if it was replaced. Make sure your water pump isn't leaking since they usually don't last 200K either. I'm not saying go out and replace all this stuff, but not knowing if it has previously been replaced or not, you should at least look at it all and make sure they look all right.

Other than your general tune up (plug, wires, filters, fluids), enjoy it!!! :biggrin:

Also, check Impala SS Forum for tons of information on those cars. ;)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,286 Posts
Originally posted by blackheart0331@Sep 10 2006, 11:46 PM~6146181
Hey thanks for the info.  I'll probably go up on Friday and get an oil change, I bought some injector cleaner so the next time i fill up I'll throw some of that in.  I might have them do a compression test soon, too.

And you're scaring me about the transmission, but my mech said it was in good shape.  I'm probably going to take that thing into the shop on a weekly basis just for diagnostics and checks, so I'll know immediately if it's burning trans. fluid.

So far it's running pretty good since my mechanic did all that work with the hoses and such.  But I'm having problems starting it, after it's been cold for awhile.  It tries to turn over for awhile, then eventually it engages.  It only does this after it's been sitting for awhile, like 4-5 hours or more, and it usually starts after a couple tries.  I'm thinking it's the fuel pump or maybe a dirty injector, but if you guys have any ideas I'd love to hear em.

And no it didnt have green hoses, but I'll ask my mechanic if he knows anything about that, I'll fork over cash to get those installed if they're guaranteed lifetime.

I think the last owner did alot of work to the engine and transmission though, alot of that shit looks fairly new.  But then again I know almost nothing about engines, so....

Also, anyone in the LA area that knows some good shops that maybe specialize in that kind of stuff?  My usual shop is really trustworthy and honest and they've always taken care of me with my previous car, but this Impala is the car of my dreams and I will spare no expense in getting this thing in perfect condition, and I want to take it to someone with alot of expertise with these.....

You jus gave ur self the best advice anyone can. If you have a shop u trust STAY WITH THEM!!!!! At least if he doesnt know the problem he will be honest with you instead of pouring money into diagnostic.. Any reputable shop should kno if ur tranny fluid is burnt, make sure to ask!!! Dont worry bout the car if it runs good then u'll be alright. As far as ur starting problem sounds like a weak spark...ask ur mechanic to check it out when its cold. As far as any other problems ur car will mostly tell u if it is having a problem either wit a light or a sound. Only diagnostic tools will work if engine light is on. let me kno
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Okay I'm gonna take it to my shop on Friday afternoon for an oil change and a general inspection, etc. and I'll see what he says about the starting problem. I might get the compression test done at that time, as well. I dont think I'll get a chance to let him cold start it this weekend, I'm going out of town on Friday afternoon and I wont get back till Sunday night. I guess the weekend after, I'll leave it up there (the shop is literally 8 blocks from my house) and then have them try to start it first thing in the morning. I tended to think gas pump because if I turn the power on for a few seconds, THEN start it, it starts right up, but I'll look into the spark problem for sure....

also my mechanic said something about the intake tube being the wrong size, and therefore doesn't fit quite right, and that causes me to lose power? Anybody ever heard of that, and does anybody know what part I need and where I can get it? Right now it's got an after-market part in there, and I guess the previous owner must have put it in himself and didnt know what he was doing....

but I know that I dont know what I'm doing, thats why I'm asking you folks and taking it to the shop every weekend......
 

·
Triple OG
Joined
·
11,047 Posts
Originally posted by biggeazy-e@Sep 11 2006, 07:58 AM~6147262
ive always hated the look of those hoses


yea, I don't care for the green either but theyre lifetime so it's one less thing to worry about. plus you can get chrome or black covers for them.
 

·
Triple OG
Joined
·
11,047 Posts
You need to get a haynes manual for that car. They have them at autozone or any parts store for like 15 bucks. its worth it. It goes through just about everything with that car.

water pumps go out easily on these cars. make sure you watch the temp after sitting idle for a while if it gets in the red then the pump is bad or fan is not working or no coolant is in the car.


have fun with your ss..
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,286 Posts
I agree wit you it might be the fuel pump, do u hear the fuel pump come on when u turn the key on like that?? could be a number of things so best way is to check out. These are bad ass cars, you'll get it figured out.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,286 Posts
I dont kno why i didnt think of this until now.. it sounds like ur fuel filter is clogged.. the fuel pump is turnign on if the car starts but there could be either shit cloggin the filter or the pump.. check the filter first.. prolly needs changing anyway. then drive and see if problem keeps happenign
 

·
SPELL CHECK
Joined
·
21,743 Posts
Originally posted by northwestG@Sep 12 2006, 11:53 AM~6156351
I dont kno why i didnt think of this until now.. it sounds like ur fuel filter is clogged.. the fuel pump is turnign on if the car starts but there could be either shit cloggin the filter or the pump.. check the filter first.. prolly needs changing anyway. then drive and see if problem keeps happenign
Good point. It would be a good idea to change it regardless, especially if he doesn't have the maint. records for the car. There's no telling when/if it was done last. They're cheap and not that hard to do either.

The Haynes manual is a great quick reference too, as mentioned by Concrete. I have that for simple things, plus I have the official GM 1000+ tech manual for the real difficult stuff. ;)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I'm taking it to my shop Friday for an oil change and a fluid check, I'll put fuel system cleaner in on my next fillup, but I'll probably have my mech put a new filter in on Friday. I'm hoping I wont have to replace the fuel pump on it anytime soon.

Now WTF is optispark? I've heard that three different times and I'm completely clueless. Again, I know almost zero about cars, I'm trying to learn as I go with this baby.....

I may have my mechanic install new spark plugs sometime soon, anyway. Anybody recommend good ones, where I can get them and how much they cost?

I DO have the Haynes manual, I dont know if I said that earlier. I always keep an emergency kit in the car (I started doing that with my first car...it was a Ford) with ATF, coolant, oil, a funnel, a rag, duct tape, Stop Leak, and a Haynes manual.

Also, I was playing with it today and it seems like the entire air intake assembly is a bit loose...is that normal? Can I have my mech tighten it up or do I need different parts?

And does anyone know a good place to get quality parts for my ride? i dont want to go with the junk the shop has if there's better stuff out there that I can buy on my own. And please dont recommend buying the part from a Chevy dealer...they wanted me to spend 132 bucks on a four button power window switch that I got at Auto Zone for 60 bones.....

okay my coolant was just flushed and the hoses replaced....so I'm assuming if the coolant pump was bad they would have noticed right? Or should I just go ahead and get it replaced anyway?
 

·
SPELL CHECK
Joined
·
21,743 Posts
Optispark is the distributor that the LT1 uses.

What kind of parts? There are better places to buy everything than a Chevy dealership. It just depends what you're looking for.

Like I said before, use the Impala SS forum. It's a wealth of knowledge, and for an hour of reading, you'll know everything rather than asking question after question for days on end. ;)
 

·
Triple OG
Joined
·
11,047 Posts
the pump could still be bad. You won't know it until it starts overheating. I wouldn't worry about it for now but just keep an eye on the engine temp. Especially while just sitting in idle and with the a/c on. It will get weaker and weaker until it fails. It shouldn't just fail at a particular time.

by the way since the 9c1 is pretty much the same car you can get cop parts from the store that are heavy duty...like breaks and altenator and stuff like that. Just keep it in mind.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,286 Posts
Originally posted by blackheart0331@Sep 13 2006, 01:26 AM~6161033
I'm taking it to my shop Friday for an oil change and a fluid check, I'll put fuel system cleaner in on my next fillup, but I'll probably have my mech put a new filter in on Friday.  I'm hoping I wont have to replace the fuel pump on it anytime soon.

Now WTF is optispark?  I've heard that three different times and I'm completely clueless.  Again, I know almost zero about cars, I'm trying to learn as I go with this baby.....

I may have my mechanic install new spark plugs sometime soon, anyway.  Anybody recommend good ones, where I can get them and how much they cost?

I DO have the Haynes manual, I dont know if I said that earlier.  I always keep an emergency kit in the car (I started doing that with my first car...it was a Ford) with ATF, coolant, oil, a funnel, a rag, duct tape, Stop Leak, and a Haynes manual.

Also, I was playing with it today and it seems like the entire air intake assembly is a bit loose...is that normal?  Can I have my mech tighten it up or do I need different parts?

And does anyone know a good place to get quality parts for my ride?  i dont want to go with the junk the shop has if there's better stuff out there that I can buy on my own.  And please dont recommend buying the part from a Chevy dealer...they wanted me to spend 132 bucks on a four button power window switch that I got at Auto Zone for 60 bones.....

okay my coolant was just flushed and the hoses replaced....so I'm assuming if the coolant pump was bad they would have noticed right? Or should I just go ahead and get it replaced anyway?

If ur fuel pump is getting bad dont wait til it goes out to change it... for a couple reasons the biggest being it will KILL your gas mileage bad.. but another reason that i have seeen all the time is the pump could be dying because stuff cloggin it and so its pumping that crap into ur lines and ur injectors and into ur motor so after a while of this the car wont run right because its not gettin the right amount of fuel.. if u truley care about this car change it if its bad dont if its not... ask ur mechanic, he will tell u. A good way to find out shit is talk to ur mechanic, the more u talk to him the more he will offer advice and maybe even better deals.. have him take a plug out and show u it...../ tell u why its bad or good?

I would put injector cleaner in it for a few fill ups because it has quite a bit of miles on it so alot of buildup in the motor...

Platnum plugs!! doesnt matter how many prongs they come from 2-4 the more the beter gas mileage.. but more expesive u decide how much u wanna spend..

Have u ever used that stop smoke i got a car im about to try it wit?
as far as the air intake jus take a screw driver and tighten it up on the straps, very easy if u dont feel comfortable doing it alone next time ur at the shop ask him how to do it and he'll prolly do it for u..

hope helps let me kno
 
1 - 20 of 164 Posts
Top