LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The shit started when my homeboy was driving the car and the radiator cap was loose. The fluid boiled out of course, but later when I put more fluid back in the tank everything seemed fine for about a week, but then the car overheated. I have been told that there is air in the lines. I trying to see if anyone has any info on how to bleed the coolant system, also where is he radiator plug located. Once again this is a 1998 LINCOLN TOWN CAR

·
Face Puncher
25,975 Posts
What "fluid" did you put back in? Water? Antifreeze? Is the mix ratio correct?

Another idea... Do a complete flush of your cooling system.

Open the drain valve on the lower drivers side corner of your radiator. Remove the upper radiator hose completely. Remove the 2 bolts that hold the t-stat housing to the intake and remove the t-stat and housing. Remove the lower hose where it attaches on the drivers side of the engine block.

Take the cap off the overflow tank and use a garden hose to run water through it until it comes out clear. Once you see clean water coming from both the lower hose and the drain valve, stick the hose into the coolant passage in the intake. Theres actually 2 sides to it if you look down in you'll see. Thoroughly flush both sides until clean water comes out of the engine block, where you took the lower hose off at.

Pick up the upper hose and flush it out real good now.

Reinstall the lower hose to the engine. Close the radiator drain valve. Bolt the t-stat housing and optimally, a new t-stat, back onto the intake. Reinstall the upper hose.

Fill your system with fresh antifreeze. About 2 gallons should do it. The cooling system holds like 14 quarts. Theres gonna be some water left in the block to mix with the antifreeze, so dont worry about mix ratios. All of the 2nd gallon probably wont go back in right away. But take it out and drive it, let it cool, and then you should be able to add the rest.

If it still overheats after that, then theres a mechanical problem such as a collapsed lower hose, bad water pump, or severely clogged radiator.

I wish English papers were this easy to write. :uh:

1 - 2 of 2 Posts