LayItLow.com Lowrider Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How many turns do you usually cut-off to get the coil to fit into the front spring pocket without compressing them?

·
Registered
14,802 Posts
Originally posted by Maximus1959@Jan 13 2009, 10:00 PM~12696810
How many turns do you usually cut-off to get the coil to fit into the front spring pocket without compressing them?
i can cut 1 turn off of a 4.5 ton coil and fit them in my g body with no problem

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Originally posted by MonsterG@Jan 13 2009, 09:20 PM~12697100
what are you working on????
59' Impala 2 door hardtop. I cut about 1 1/4 turns off a set of 2 ton purple coils. The coils were too tall to fit into the spring pocket, which was to be expected. I tried various spring compressors, but that did not work. I ended up cutting them and got them to fit enough to put everything back together. It is just a rolling chasis with no motor, so I am a little worried that once all the weight hits those coils, that they could either be too short or still a little tall. Any suggestions on what people generally do? I am a rookie trying to build my own shit versus somone doing it for me. I will post pic's in a minute

·
Registered
12,646 Posts
Ya those might compress after you put the car together 2 tons might be kind of small for a 59.

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Originally posted by 509Rider@Jan 14 2009, 01:35 AM~12699563
Ya those might compress after you put the car together 2 tons might be kind of small for a 59.
What up Jason? Might have to wait a minute on those pic's my camera is MIA...figures. I need to update my build topic too..

·
***WAGON FREAK***
3,650 Posts
I have limited experience but, I'd think if you just wanted it to lay out 2 ton springs would be fine but if you plan on hopping, you might consider something a little stiffer! Also, I've been told to cut them even (not quarter turns, etc.)! Ask others about this, I'm curious now!

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Originally posted by garageartguy@Jan 14 2009, 01:42 AM~12699583
I have limited experience but, I'd think if you just wanted it to lay out 2 ton springs would be fine but if you plan on hopping, you might consider something a little stiffer! Also, I've been told to cut them even (not quarter turns, etc.)! Ask others about this, I'm curious now!
Does anybody know if you need to cut them even or not?

I made sure I placed the perfectly flat part of the coil up into the spring pocket, because eventually the cup and cylinder with set in nice and flat, when I actually install them. Right now I am just mocking up a few things. Because I have stock lower a-arms the coils sit a little crookid, but I am pretty sure that when I put my custom a-arms on that they will straighten up a bit?
From talking with everyone, it seems like you have to use a lot of trial and error. I was told 2 ton on a show car is fine, and they would not compress much?'
If anybody who knows what they are talking about and not speculating wants to offer any advice on a better coil. Please post and I will try em'.
Thanks

·
Registered
19,959 Posts
Originally posted by Maximus1959@Jan 14 2009, 12:32 AM~12699558
59' Impala 2 door hardtop.  I cut about 1 1/4 turns off a set of 2 ton purple coils.  The coils were too tall to fit into the spring pocket, which was to be expected.  I tried various spring compressors, but that did not work.  I ended up cutting them and got them to fit enough to put everything back together.  It is just a rolling chasis with no motor, so I am a little worried that once all the weight hits those coils, that they could either be too short or still a little tall.  Any suggestions on what people generally do?  I am a rookie trying to build my own shit versus somone doing it for me.  I will post pic's in a minute
If they are to short run standard not deep cups there 2 inch lift right there and if thats still not enough add some donught instead of 1 run 2,3,4 etc cheaper and easier than buying and cutting coils ;)

·
Registered
12,646 Posts
Originally posted by Maximus1959@Jan 14 2009, 02:38 AM~12699573
What up Jason?  Might have to wait a minute on those pic's my camera is MIA...figures.  I need to update my build topic too..
Not much bro

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
Originally posted by Maximus1959@Jan 14 2009, 01:49 AM~12699609

I made sure I placed the perfectly flat part of the coil up into the spring pocket, because eventually the cup and cylinder with set in nice and flat, when I actually install them.  Right now I am just mocking up a few things.  Because I have stock lower a-arms the coils sit a little crookid, but I am pretty sure that when I put my custom a-arms on that they will straighten up a bit?
From talking with everyone, it seems like you have to use a lot of trial and error.  I was told 2 ton on a show car is fine, and they would not compress much?'
If anybody who knows what they are talking about and not speculating wants to offer any advice on a better coil.  Please post and I will try em'.
Thanks
2ton should work fine....not knowing what 2ton coil you have makes this kinda hard...with a deep cup i'd think you could run 6 turns and they'd break in right where you want it to be...but with no motor or body on frame might not be able to get them in... if this is that troblesome for ya its gunna be a long project :biggrin:

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Originally posted by 206ness@Jan 14 2009, 03:26 AM~12699761
2ton should work fine....not knowing what 2ton coil you have makes this kinda hard...with a deep cup i'd think you could run 6 turns and they'd break in right where you want it to be...but with no motor or body on frame might not be able to get them in... if this is that troblesome for ya its gunna be a long project :biggrin:
Thanks Shue...I bought all the part's from CCE except the coils. I got those from Adam at Custom Auto Specialties. I was told they were from More Bouce (2 ton purple) but I don't know about that. They don't look any different than the regular stuff, but I'm not sure what to look for? After I cut a 1 1/4 coils off I had appx. 6 turns left, which was enough to get them in without compressing them. I was also able to get everything put back together. I looks ok, but with no body or motor; who knows what the end result will be.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts